Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 21, 2015

Adding my new L1 compact to my T1 and L1 Model 2 Setup

Hi folks.

Proud owner as of this evening of my first L1 Compact. Having used the Model 2 for years and being so happy with it, I decided to get a compact as well for several reasons. Number one I have a weekend restaurant residency where it's very background music, and I'm lucky if I push my Model 2 to over a quarter on volume - the response has been fantastic. So thinking of swapping over the compact to 'live' there so free up my Model 2 for bigger venue gigs during the week.

I also am now looking to use the compact as additional coverage for long room venues where the horizontal dispersion is great but not so much at back of room.

So here's my query! I know I can connect a long TRS cable run from my T1 master (or aux) to my compact. BUT is there a wireless solutions that would save me messy cable runs? I notice Bose are now offering the compact with the 'SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter' but that seems to accept bluetooth signal? 

Can anyone recommend a bluetooth transmitter that would work from T1 to that adapter? And if so would there be any noticeable delay on sound coming from my L2 and the compact?

Or finally is there another solution people are using for this setup that you'd recommend?

This was my first brand new Bose L1 so delighted unboxing tonight, and if the gigs keep coming, I may even invest in an S1 pro down the line to fill the family!

Thanks as always for any help folks. Appreciate it!

Liam

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Re: Adding my new L1 compact to my T1 and L1 Model 2 Setup

Hi hoohaa1,

hoohaa1 posted:

I have a weekend restaurant residency where it's very background music, and I'm lucky if I push my Model 2 to over a quarter on volume - the response has been fantastic. So thinking of swapping over the compact to 'live' there so free up my Model 2 for bigger venue gigs during the week.

A good idea, especially if you don't need the bass response of a B1/B2.

My first L1 was a Compact and I was (still am) always happy with the sound. I was offered my Model II/T1 combination second hand (but only used in the private household of a millionaire who had died. There were actually 4 of them but 3 had already been sold separately as keyboard/L1/T1 packages). It was an offer I couldn't refuse.

The main difference between Compact and Model II) for me as a musician is the audio experience I have when playing. With the Model II it's like "bathing in sound" as the complete "stick" as some people call it is filled with 24 loudspeakers and the Compact only has 6 at the top. You'll notice the difference. I use both systems. I prefer the Model II experience, but the Compact is so easy to transport, set up and use. For smaller gigs where I don't need the Model II I'll take the Compact for the ease of use. For some gigs without the T1 even.

You don't give any indication of what sort of residency you have. Live music, pre-recorded music etc. That sometimes helps when trying to give certain types of advice.

I also am now looking to use the compact as additional coverage for long room venues where the horizontal dispersion is great but not so much at back of room.

I've used my Model II with my acoustic trio in a very large room where people sitting 100 feet away could hear almost as loud as the ones up front. When you start to run loudspeakers with cables to extend the reach of existing loudspeakers you'll have to take the speed of sound (roughly 343 metres per second or m/s) into consideration because electrical signals run at the speed of light which means that after a certain distance from the original loudspeaker you'll hear 2 distinct signals which sound like an echo as they're reaching your ears at different times. 

When you see such things at concerts, they are running so-called delay lines. By that I mean that the signal to the loudspeakers used to extend the reach of the main loudspeakers is delayed by the amount of time that it takes the sound from the main loudspeakers to reach the secondary speakers (or delay line as they're often called).

Here's an example of how to work out the delay needed.

The distance from the main loudspeaker to the secondary loudspeaker is 15 metres. Divide 15 by the speed of sound which is 343 m/s. This gives you 0.04373 seconds (s) or 43.73 milliseconds (ms).

You would then delay the signal to the delay line loudspeaker by this amount and it would sound as if everything was coming from the same source. If you don't do this you'll find that your ears will notice the slight echo (like a slap echo on a guitar or vocal).

Can anyone recommend a bluetooth transmitter that would work from T1 to that adapter? And if so would there be any noticeable delay on sound coming from my L2 and the compact?

Or finally is there another solution people are using for this setup that you'd recommend?

Before I'd think of using a Bluetooth connection I'd look at the possibility of using a wireless instrument transmitter/receiver combination. This would have the advantage of having a longer reach and with a decent wireless set also sound better than Bluetooth.

As the signal from a wireless instrument transmitter/receiver combination also travels at the speed of light you shouldn't have "any noticeable delay on sound coming from your L2 and the compact".

This was my first brand new Bose L1 so delighted unboxing tonight, and if the gigs keep coming, I may even invest in an S1 pro down the line to fill the family!

I know the feeling. I'm sure you're going to love the Compact with it's simplicity. With regards to the S1 Pro idea, you may well find that you don't really need it unless you like the idea of running on batteries for certain gigs which also has its advantages. With an S1 Pro you'll probably need a loudspeaker stand to raise it up high enough. The Compact doesn't need one as it has the extensions. Contrary to what is stated in the Users Manual, you can use one or both extensions as your needs require.

Thanks as always for any help folks. Appreciate it!

Liam

I hope I was able to help. 

Just out of interest, is your Postal Code for the Limerick area in Eire?

I'm a brit from the Lake District in England who's been living in Germany since 1977.

Tony

Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Adding my new L1 compact to my T1 and L1 Model 2 Setup

Bluetooth won't work.  Too much latency built into the system!

I've used the xVive U3 wireless system which is designed for both microphone and line level use.  Works pretty well and doesn't cost too much.

More here about the system: https://www.bosepro.community/...master-out-to-s1-pro