cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveduncan
Registered since

Mar 9, 2010

Additional Volume

I use the L1 compact and Live Vocalist 3 on all of my performances. When I play at a particular outdoor venue, I cannot be heard from the back, since the lawn area is so large. If I were to plug in additional speakers to the L1 compact, would this produce additional volume, or would additional volume require another amp and speakers? If it would work with just adding speakers, is there a connection/cable that would allow 2 speakers to go into the one (1/4)jack on the L1?

Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15
tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Re: Additional Volume

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Duncan:
I use the L1 compact and Live Vocalist 3 on all of my performances. When I play at a particular outdoor venue, I cannot be heard from the back, since the lawn area is so large. If I were to plug in additional speakers to the L1 compact, would this produce additional volume, or would additional volume require another amp and speakers? If it would work with just adding speakers, is there a connection/cable that would allow 2 speakers to go into the one (1/4)jack on the L1?

Thank you.

You'll need either powered speakers or a separate amplifier to power the speakers. The Line out jacks on the Compact are line level only and do not connect directly to speakers.
steveduncan
Registered since

Mar 9, 2010

I recently started using a Beringer speaker/monitor that runs out of my Line Out - does it work because it also has a mixer of sorts, or why would it work and other speakers would not?

Thanks again,

S D
steveduncan
Registered since

Mar 9, 2010

I think you already answered my 2nd question - the Beringer monitor is a powered speaker...?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Steve,

Yes, if the Behringer unit is a powered speaker, that explains why it works this way with the Compact.

Can you run a LONG line from the Compact to Behringer and put that deep into the area that you are trying to cover? That could be more effective than keeping the Behringer unit close to the Compact. Just put the remote unit where it is needed. In situations like this I have used a wireless guitar system instead of a cable to connect a remote system when main unit (in your case the Compact) can not project into the area that needs to be serviced.

How big is the area you are trying cover?
Is is square or rectangular?
If rectangular, are you trying to project down the length of the space?
If rectangular, can you move farther into the space?
steveduncan
Registered since

Mar 9, 2010

The behringer speaker is very small (I use it for a monitor), and would probably not work for this place. It is a huge lawn that can sit probably 500 plus people, then behind it are several restaurant patios who's customers want to hear the music as well.
Shape of lawn? If I had to put a shape on it, I would say it is rectangle, running wide (wider space across than front to back). Picture attached.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the picture. If this was taken from your vantage point on the stage, I'd say that this is definitely a job for an L1® Model II.

If you are not up for that, can you rent one?
steveduncan
Registered since

Mar 9, 2010

Well - the last time I played there I used their PA and the sound was bad. I used my Live vocalist harmonizer, then right into their PA.Loud enough,but too many "highs" or something. That is why I was trying to rig my compact up with additional speakers, or something.
tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Duncan:
Well - the last time I played there I used their PA and the sound was bad. I used my Live vocalist harmonizer, then right into their PA.Loud enough,but too many "highs" or something. That is why I was trying to rig my compact up with additional speakers, or something.

Hi Steve,

If they are still going to have their PA system there, then I would go ahead and go through your Compact so that you can get "that sound".

Then take the Line Out from the Compact and run it into one of the channels of their PA and have the EQ set to flat (you can always adjust a little afterward). And since the Compact is on the stage, don't put any of that signal into the PA systems monitors (if there are any).
steveduncan
Registered since

Mar 9, 2010

So just set everything up as normal, then plug into the PA, yes? I guess I will need a 1/4 to XLR cable?

Thank you!

S D