Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Advice for using S1 Pro outdoors

We just finished an outdoor gig with a single S1 at a local farmers market where we were under a 10x10 canopy with open sides. To keep us and the S1 out of the blistering sun, we had it positioned on a speaker stand behind us just at head level under the tent. The volume was just a little over 50%. There was a little wind and the area has no buildings just an open parking lot with tents going about 75-100 yards ahead of us.

While this was probably one of the worst case scenarios for the S1 and even a L1, I was wondering if anyone has tried different positioning that helped with the projection. I was thinking that moving the S1 out from under the canopy might have helped. We could have cranked the S1 even louder, but that would’ve made it too loud for folks close by. Still the quality of the sound was awesome. Folks who passed by our tent were amazed at how much great sound was coming out of the S1.

Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
GeneS
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2018

Re: Advice for using S1 Pro outdoors

Hi Pete - this is exactly what I’ve been using my S1 Pro for... I’m not sure about the technical side, but I’m going with the idea that since I’m wanting to keep my gear out of direct sunlight that ‘maybe’ the roof of the canopy acts like a choral shield, reflecting/amplifying (at least a bit) the soundwaves. I have no idea if this is true - I also do some markets with my L1 M2 B2 and it is, as would be expected, significanly better - I can walk around most of the places I play and hear the break music clearly and it sounds great - with the S1 Pro - the sound fades within 30-40 feet. 

I also use the S1 P for busking at other markets without a canopy (not hired by market, but not kicked out in 8 months), and when I turn the volume up a bit the tips go up... one of my my main pitches is literall next to a table at a restaurant - I always tell the people to let me know if the music is too loud, or whatever - and most of the time they say that they picked that table to be close to the music. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Pete (CityFolk),

CityFolk posted:

We just finished an outdoor gig with a single S1 at a local farmers market where we were under a 10x10 canopy with open sides. To keep us and the S1 out of the blistering sun, we had it positioned on a speaker stand behind us just at head level under the tent.

Good thought.

The volume was just a little over 50%. There was a little wind and the area has no buildings just an open parking lot with tents going about 75-100 yards ahead of us.

Big market. Were you responsible for providing music for the whole area or the area near you?

While this was probably one of the worst case scenarios for the S1 and even a L1, I was wondering if anyone has tried different positioning that helped with the projection. I was thinking that moving the S1 out from under the canopy might have helped.

This probably wouldn't have made much difference.

We could have cranked the S1 even louder, but that would’ve made it too loud for folks close by.

This is the biggest difference between the S1 Pro and the L1® systems. If you need to project farther with more even volume from front to back, the L1® is the right tool.

Still the quality of the sound was awesome. Folks who passed by our tent were amazed at how much great sound was coming out of the S1.

Any thoughts?

The S1 Pro is going to be a better choice is you want to entertain people closer to you (without projecting farther way). 

ST

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Thanks GeneS and ST. We were providing music for the overall market, but given impending storms, I didn’t want to bring out our L1. I wanted to be able to teat down fast if the bad weather started to hit.

Piping music to people nearer to us was fine in this case. Nothing catastrophic if people far away couldn’t hear us that well as we were more for overall ambience rather than entertaining a full crowd like at a wedding or dance. 

I‘m just getting used to situations where one is more appropriate than the other. I don’t regret using the S1 in this case. Just trying to see how to best optimize its use. For example, another outdoor market we perform in has buildings surrounding the area and I bet the S1 would work better in that setting as it has something the sound can bounce off of to spread it around.

However, when it comes to projecting into a wide open spaces like today, we’ll keep in mind using our L1. Setting up the S1 in 95+ degree heat was such a breeze though and we ran it on battery power to see how that worked. It performed flawlessly.

Regardless, we were very happy with the quality of the sound despite the lack of a far off projection. Folks hovered nearby, and as has been usual, were amazed at the sound of the diminutive S1. Several musicians in the crowd stopped by to ask about it. I feel so lucky to have 2 Bose solutions now to perform with!

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Using the Bose S1 Pro tilt back feature from the ground or a small table will carry the sound over the audience and will project the sound under the popup.

sparkysings
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 31, 2018

I showed up for a gig yesterday with my S1 Pro and they had moved the Event outside into an area of 150' W x 100' Deep. I would normally have brought a L1 Compact, or L1 M2 and was concerned that I wouldn't have enough coverage. I'm a solo act with Guitar and Vocals

I set the S1 on a speaker stand about 1'-2' in front of me and to my left. I always run my mic & Guitar through a TC Play Acoustic which provides a pre-amp boost. The Play Acoustic was set at about 25% out put and the S1 channels at 50% volume. My T1 mixer gain and channel volumes were set 12 o'clock and Master volume at about 10:30. Wow, was it loud! No feedback and when I was done, i had quite a few people coming up to compliment me on the sound. I checked with the organizers after the gig and they said the sound carried throughout the entire outdoor area and everyone had no problem hearing.

I know the Compact would have been more appropriate, but to say I'm surprised at the output of the S1 would be an understatement. The more I use it, the more I realize what an incredible piece of gear Bose has designed.

Marty C
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

Hi Sparkysings,

Please see this new topic: T1 with TC Helicon Play Acoustic

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

@sparkysings thanks for sharing your performance experience. It’s always helpful to “hear” what works or didn’t work for folks in real life playing situations. 

We had our S1 behind us about 3 feet or so to sorta simulate our typical L1 setup. We put 2 vocals and 2 acoustic guitars on either side into a Behringer 1202FX mixer and output that into the S1 channel 1 with its volume at 50%. It was plenty loud alright and had more to go, but what I really liked is the quality of the sound didn’t suffer. It still had a very rich, clean acoustic sound. Even though it was behind us, we didn’t detect any hint of feedback either. I’m sure if we really cranked it some more, that probably wouldn’t have been the case. I also think any more volume mIght have been too much for the folks nearby.

In retrospect, I think I would try putting the unit out in front of us like you did, a bit out from under the canopy, to see if that would help with the projection. Given the rather oppressive heat that day, exacerbated by the fact we were playing on asphalt, I wanted to protect us and the S1 from being baked in the direct sun. We seem to be having North Carolina August heat in June this year. Moan.

After we build the old bank account back up, I’d also like to get a second S1 to help with playing in larger spaces more effectively and save our L1 M2 for more hospitable environments.

Archtop_Eddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Last night I played an outdoor patio gig at a local restaurant. The patrons sitting directly in front of me were pretty close me. I worried about being too loud for them and yet not loud enough for the other customers. The S1 Pro was on a small speaker stand, to my right about even with my shoulders. I simply picked up the whole unit (since it was battery powered) and moved it back about three feet -- problems solved. I thought the speaker actually sounded better to me and also solved the proximity problem with the folks sitting right in front of me.  I had the S1 set levels around noonish but the volumes were also being adjusted with my Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer. I'm still not sure if it was loud enough for the people in the back of the patio, but for most of the customers it seem to work out fine.  After an oppressively hot day, it was a cool Colorado evening, and all were in a good mood -- including myself, and the soothing sound-levels of the S1 topped off the night.