Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Advice on Microphone with Bose L1 Model 2 & T4S Tonematch Mixer

Hi everyone,i hope i am posting this in the right place...may it be possible for someone out there to advise me me please.I play Midi Accordion connected to to a Tyros 5 keyboard with vocals..I am using a Shure Beta 58A mic plugged into my Bose T4S tone match mixer,using L12,B2 Bose speaker system.I also have a Shure  SM58 as a spare mic which i have not  used in my Bose PA,the PA i have only had for a few months & still getting used to it,yes i have done a few gigs with it.

The main point is,i find with my Shure  Beta 58A i need to get up really close & virtually eat the mic to get decent voice clarity.

Does anybody out there use a phantom powered Mic??

I have looked at many phantom powered mics on line & also peoples opinions on different sites (i find it all so confusing)

One of the mics i looked at online was a Shure SM,86 (phantom powered)

I need the mic to be more versatile instead of me eating the mic all the time to get voice clarity.

I sometimes play my keyboard with my right hand,i continue to play the bass of the Accordion with my left hand & then having to go back to try & get directly back to the mic to get the best clarity (i don't like hugging a mike)

I play & sing different types of material ranging from 50s,60s,Rock & roll,Country,Ballads,Irish & some songs with falsetto.

In my opinion i believe i need a better & easier type of mic to use for my requirements.

I certainly do not understand about phantom power & why it is used live? i also do not understand the technical data diagrams shown for the mics i looked up on different sites.

I want my singing to be made easier & i do not need to get so close to the mic,if i have to spend a lot of money on a mic well so be it.

If anyone replies to my questions could you please reply in  NON TECHNICAL TERMS.By the way i am 62 & live right down in Cornwall in the UK.

All your help & easy understanding will be very much appreciated.

I have so much to do,i also use a foot controller connected to the Tyros for start,stops,fill ins etc.

Maybe i should get an omni directional mike to pick up my voice from all directions but as hopefully you may gather my technical knowledge is very limited,best wishes to you all

Gideon

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Advice on Microphone with Bose L1 Model 2 & T4S Tonematch Mixer

Of all the microphones I've owned and used over the last 50+ years of performing, I think my favorite is still the AKG C1000.

I own 4 older C1000 microphones (since the 90s - still working great) and recently bought a new C1000S.  The C1000S can be run on either phantom power OR with 2 AA (rechargeable) batteries inside. 

In my practice studio I use the C1000S and must admit that at times I think of using it for gigs instead of the Neumann KMS-105 I normally use that cost over 3 times as much. 🙂

WOW!  Price drop on C1000S down to $169!  I paid closer to $200 for each of mine.

Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Oh, sorry.  More information.

The C1000S doesn't have the emphasized proximity response that requires that one "eat" a Shure SM58 (and others) in order to get the volume and punch required.

The C1000S can be configured with a highly feedback-resistant supercardioid pattern.  It responds with a much flatter, honest frequency response even when you're further away from the microphone. 

As it's a condenser microphone, it responds better to vocal nuances and characteristics that the larger moving mass in dynamic microphones tend to smother.  This can be bad or good depending on how pleasing the person's natural voice sounds.  🙂

And GAK, now only costs about $60 more than an SM58...

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Hi chet

Thanks for your advice,i will look into it

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Gideon,

Please check out this article and video How to Choose the Right Microphone.

It's from Shure (UK) and it covers the basics. I'll be back with some more information shortly.

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Gideon,

Gideon posted:

Hi everyone,i hope i am posting this in the right place...may it be possible for someone out there to advise me me please.

There's a lot of experience in the community, here.

I play Midi Accordion connected to to a Tyros 5 keyboard with vocals..I am using a Shure Beta 58A mic plugged into my Bose T4S tone match mixer,using L12,B2 Bose speaker system.I also have a Shure  SM58 as a spare mic which i have not  used in my Bose PA,the PA i have only had for a few months & still getting used to it,yes i have done a few gigs with it.

Thank you for the background information. That's helpful.

The main point is,i find with my Shure  Beta 58A i need to get up really close & virtually eat the mic to get decent voice clarity.

The volume reaching the microphone drops off very quickly as you move away from a microphone. That's any microphone. This also applies to directional microphones, but they are better at rejecting sound not directly in front of them, so up to a point, you can turn up the amplification to hear more of what you want. 

Does anybody out there use a phantom powered Mic??

Yes, all the time.

I have looked at many phantom powered mics on line & also peoples opinions on different sites (i find it all so confusing).

Most phantom powered microphones are condenser microphones. It's just a different technology to pick up the sound. Condenser microphones need external power (phantom power) to work. Most dynamic microphones do not require external power.

One of the mics i looked at online was a Shure SM,86 (phantom powered)

I need the mic to be more versatile instead of me eating the mic all the time to get voice clarity.

You are running into the conflict between polar pattern (omnidirectional, unidirectional [can be cardioid, super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid]) and gain before feedback.

As you move away from the microphone, you lower your gain before feedback (the likelihood of feedback goes up). 

As you move out of the polar pattern (sing off-center) you lower your gain before feedback (the likelihood of feedback goes up).

I'm going to set aside the proximity effect (more bass if you're close to the microphone), because the ToneMatch Presets compensate for that.

If you were not using a loudspeakers (your L1 Model II) in the same area as the microphone, you could use an omnidirectional microphone and turn up the gain.   If the microphone can not pick up the loudspeaker, you can turn up the amplification and change the EQ without consequence. However, if you have the loudspeaker in the same area as the microphone and microphone picks up the sound of the loudspeaker, you get feedback.  As long as your voice is louder to the microphone than the loudspeaker, you can make things work.  The easiest way to make your voice louder than the loudspeaker, is to sing really close to the microphone. 

I sometimes play my keyboard with my right hand,i continue to play the bass of the Accordion with my left hand & then having to go back to try & get directly back to the mic to get the best clarity (i don't like hugging a mike)

Have you considered a head-worn microphone? These allow you to move freely while still maintaining the optimal distance between the microphone and your mouth.

I play & sing different types of material ranging from 50s,60s,Rock & roll,Country,Ballads,Irish & some songs with falsetto.

With a head-worn microphone you can't "work the mic" (move it closer and farther away to get the tone you want, or make it easier to deal with the dynamics in your singing.

In my opinion i believe i need a better & easier type of mic to use for my requirements.

I certainly do not understand about phantom power & why it is used live?

Phantom power lets you use condenser microphones. 

i also do not understand the technical data diagrams shown for the mics i looked up on different sites.

These diagrams can be useful to predict the likelihood of feedback, but they won't tell you how a microphone will sound with your voice. And most of those diagrams won't tell you how you will sound at a distance.

I want my singing to be made easier & i do not need to get so close to the mic,if i have to spend a lot of money on a mic well so be it.

If you are in a setting where the microphone can pick up the sound of the loudspeaker better than it can pick your voice you run the risk of feedback. Spending more money doesn't change that.

If anyone replies to my questions could you please reply in  NON TECHNICAL TERMS.By the way i am 62 & live right down in Cornwall in the UK.

All your help & easy understanding will be very much appreciated.

I have so much to do,i also use a foot controller connected to the Tyros for start,stops,fill ins etc.

Maybe i should get an omni directional mike to pick up my voice from all directions but as hopefully you may gather my technical knowledge is very limited,best wishes to you all

Gideon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Thank you all for your valued help,much appreciated

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

As ST said, "If you are in a setting where the microphone can pick up the sound of the loudspeaker better than it can pick your voice you run the risk of feedback. Spending more money doesn't change that."

AND as an omnidirectional microphone collects sound from all directions an omnidirectional microphone pattern would make it harder to get enough volume while avoiding feedback. 

A Supercardioid pattern is the opposite and will reject signals that aren't directly in front of the microphone.  To allow you a little more movement, the C1000S can also be set up with a standard cardioid pattern - same as an SM58, etc.  I play sitting down (guitars/bass/looper, etc) so running mine as a super and staying right in front of it is easy for me.

My best suggestion is to practice with the microphone, work on microphone technique, staying in the right place in front of and close enough to the microphone while playing (and stomping pedals) until it's 2nd nature.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

It is quite likely i will get the mike you suggested ie the AKG C1000S the mic you use,for one thing it is certainly a lot cheaper than the Shure & as you said you have tried many types of mikes over the years & always gone back to the AKG, How do i know please if i need to use cardioid or super cardioid which i have read about & i presume it is done manually? & you know it will be plugged into my mixer which has phantom power.Thanks again,your help is proving very valuable,regards again

Gideon 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Gideon,

Are you using the ToneMatch Preset for the Shure Beta 58?

If so, let's bypass the ToneMatch Preset.

• Press the CHEDIT button for the channel connected to the Shure Beta 58
  • Turn the Rotary Selector to ToneMatch
  • Under the display, press the left-most button. The display should say Bypass

• Try your microphone like that.
  • Try turning up the volume a bit

Does this make it easier to use the microphone at slight distance?

Try your Shure SM58 microphone. You may have to turn up the input trim or the channel volume to compensate.

How is that?

ST