cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Another Look at Wireless Operation of L1 Systems

Count me among the dazed and confused when it comes to using the L1 systems as wireless satellite speakers. The idea is great: no speaker cables to connect to the mixer, allowing placement of speakers all over the place to make the sound exactly what we want it to be.

However, the maze of information is difficult to wade through, at least for my simple mind.

In the past few days, I've been doing some research on the topic by reading posts here on the Bose forum and by searching online for other ideas.

In a nutshell, here is what I have learned:

The Bose® L1 Model II system CANNOT be used as a satellite unit because there is no analog input or output. If you have the Model II system as I do, then you have to connect it to your ToneMatch, and that's pretty much it. The only OUT port is for the packlite units to power more B1 units. The only IN port is the audio in from the ToneMatch cable.

The Bose® Model I and Classic systems DO have IN and OUT ports (two each) that will accept either an XLR or a 1/4” plug (balanced or unbalanced). These units CAN be used as satellite systems because of that. If you own the Model II, you're out of luck in this regard.

So, now that I've realized that I'm “wire-bound” with my Model II setup, I looked into using the L1 Compacts as wirelessly operated satellite sound systems for placement either across a large room to enhance the sound or in a separate room (like across the hall in a hotel, for example) for cocktail hour music or to “broadcast” the dance music at a lower volume in the room where the bar might be located (how many times have we played in a great setup but the bar was just outside the room around the corner, and we lose the dance crowd to the bar, never to return because they just don't hear the music very well?)

Well, the L1 Compact CAN be used as a satellite system, with limitations. The Compact has only 1/4“ IN and OUT ports, so any adaptations need to run to 1/4” jacks, not XLR jacks.

That being said, here's what I have found out, and I would appreciate hearing from the voices of experience out there about the system I have found. (Thanks in advance!)

There is a place in Eugene, OR, called AGI Pro DJs, and they are offering Sennheiser wireless packages that they have put together for wireless speaker use. The Sennheiser transmitter body pack (or the XLR Plug-On Unit) would be attached to the ToneMatch AUX OUT. Then the portable receiver unit is placed at the top of the L1 Compact tower. The jack on the receiver unit is a threaded (locking) 3.5 mm female jack, so it takes a male 3.5 threaded jack. From what I can tell, you can't just use a regular 3.5 mm male jack on those without risking a bad connection (please correct me if I'm wrong here.). AGI provides a 3.5 mm male jack to an XLR connection, and then they can supply me with an adapter cable to go from the XLR jack to the Compact's 1/4“ jack requirement.

I can use one Compact wirelessly this way, or with another receiver, I can transmit sound to both of my Compacts wirelessly.

In case you're interested in this place, here's their web site: http://www.agiprodj.com.

I welcome comments, questions, and observations. Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Another Look at Wireless Operation of L1 Systems

Hi Media4u2,

Let me help with this one point and then I'll put together some detailed notes later today.

quote:
Originally posted by Media4u2:

The Bose® L1 Model II system CANNOT be used as a satellite unit because there is no analog input or output. If you have the Model II system as I do, then you have to connect it to your ToneMatch, and that's pretty much it. The only OUT port is for the packlite units to power more B1 units. The only IN port is the audio in from the ToneMatch cable.

The Model II Power Stand has an Analog input. It is a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve balanced input and can be used with a balanced or unbalanced MONO input.

If you have a mono source (such as a mono wireless receiver) then you can connect this to a Model II Power Stand Analog input.

More here:

Model II Power Stand Analog Input

--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

I HAVE use the Model II Power Stand as a remote unit with the transmitter running from a T1® Master Output (¼ inch jack) and the receiver connected to the m2ps as highlighted in yellow above.

You are correct about OUT ports. There is the Bass Line Out on the Model II Power Stand, and that is for providing a signal to the PackLite Amp (connected to a pair of B1s).
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again Media4u2,

I'll start by separating the issues around wireless operation of the L1® Systems (for remote operation).

The Wireless Part
The wireless part is a matter of replacing a physical wire between a sound source (T1®, mixer, anything with an analog audio output) and one of the L1® units. You could also consider running wireless from one L1® to another L1® but I will cover that as a separate issue (daisy-chaining).

For this wireless part, there are dozens of vendors and I will leave the discussion of specific makes and models to others who may want to tell us about their direct experiences.

I have had great results with wireless sytems that use a ¼ inch jack for the mono input for the transmitter, and have a ¼ inch jack mono output from the receiver. Basically - the wireless system is replacing a ¼ inch jack to ¼ inch jack instrument cable. All of the L1® systems can accept a ¼ inch jack mono input.

The L1® Part
If you want to use an L1® (any model) as a remote system, then you need an analog input for the output of the wireless receiver.

All of the L1®s (Classic / Model I, Model II, Compact) have analog inputs.

¼ inch jack (all of these will accept ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve OR ¼ inch jack Tip-Sleeve) The signal for the ¼ inch jacks MUST be Mono.
  • Classic / Model I : Channels 1,2,3,4

• Model II : Analog Input

• Compact : Channel 2 with ToneMatch® switch set to Line

The Compact has more flexibility in that in addition to the ¼ inch jack input, it also has 1/8" stereo and RCA stereo inputs. The 1/8" stereo inputs could be suitable for a wireless monitor system that was intended to power headphones or ear-buds.

More coming...
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi Media4u2,

Let me help with this one point and then I'll put together some detailed notes later today.

quote:

Thanks, ST. I was going from what the ”pro“ at Guitar Center had told me rather than looking for myself. Of course there IS an input jack for the Model II as you describe, which would allow the Model II to be used wirelessly as well as the Compacts.

An additional question. This morning, the ”pro“ at Guitar Center called and said that with the L1 Compact, he recommended running the 1/8” jack to the XLR input on the Compact so that I could use the Tone Controls. I asked if the impedance issue (mic vs. line) would be an issue, and he said it would not. He said that connecting to the Mic side of the Compact would give me greater control of the sound, since it would allow me to use the Tone controls.

Is he right?

Thanks.

The Model II Power Stand has an Analog input. It is a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve balanced input and can be used with a balanced or unbalanced MONO input.

If you have a mono source (such as a mono wireless receiver) then you can connect this to a Model II Power Stand Analog input.

More here:

Model II Power Stand Analog Input

--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

I HAVE use the Model II Power Stand as a remote unit with the transmitter running from a T1® Master Output (¼ inch jack) and the receiver connected to the m2ps as highlighted in yellow above.

You are correct about OUT ports. There is the Bass Line Out on the Model II Power Stand, and that is for providing a signal to the PackLite Amp (connected to a pair of B1s).
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

wow... that last post looked VERY Confusing. Let me simplify my question this way:

An additional question. This morning, the ”pro“ at Guitar Center called and said that with the L1 Compact, he recommended running the 1/8” jack to the XLR input on the Compact so that I could use the Tone Controls. I asked if the impedance issue (mic vs. line) would be an issue, and he said it would not. He said that connecting to the Mic side of the Compact would give me greater control of the sound, since it would allow me to use the Tone controls.

Is he right?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Media4u2,

quote:
Thanks, ST. I was going from what the ”pro“ at Guitar Center had told me rather than looking for myself. Of course there IS an input jack for the Model II as you describe, which would allow the Model II to be used wirelessly as well as the Compacts.

Okay, we've got that part sorted out.

quote:

Which 1/8" jack? If that is coming from a stereo source then we would have to know exactly how that was wired.

You can try it, but for me... I don't perceive any value in using Compact Channel 1 for this application (as compared to using Compact Channel 2). Compact Channel 1 has a built-in Preset (Handheld microphone). You cannot disable that. There's no harm in trying it but I wouldn't spend time or money on an adapter (1/8" to XLR).

I have never needed to adjust the tone at the receiving end of things in a wireless remote situation. I have always done it at the source.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi Media4u2,

quote:

Okay, we've got that part sorted out.

quote:

Which 1/8" jack? If that is coming from a stereo source then we would have to know exactly how that was wired.

You can try it, but for me... I don't perceive any value in using Compact Channel 1 for this application (as compared to using Compact Channel 2). Compact Channel 1 has a built-in Preset (Handheld microphone). You cannot disable that. There's no harm in trying it but I wouldn't spend time or money on an adapter (1/8" to XLR).

I have never needed to adjust the tone at the receiving end of things in a wireless remote situation. I have always done it at the source.

The 1/8“ jack he is referring to is the 3.5 mm male jack that would go into the portable receiver unit (the wireless mic receiver unit). That unit would be placed at the top of the L1 tower and would run down to the 1/4” input on the Model II or to the 1/4“ input jack (or, as he suggested, to the XLR input) on the Compact.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Daisy Chaining

I said that I would come back and talk about this.

Basically - if you want to take the output of one L1® and send it to the input of another L1®, the Compact has a full-range line-out that combines all the inputs. The other models do not.

If I needed to run remote to multiple L1®s I would get a wireless system that was capable of covering the distance from the source to the remote that was farthest away. I wouldn't be trying to daisy chain from one L1® to another.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Media4u2,

quote:
The 1/8“ jack he is referring to is the 3.5 mm male jack that would go into the portable receiver unit (the wireless mic receiver unit). That unit would be placed at the top of the L1 tower and would run down to the 1/4” input on the Model II or to the 1/4“ input jack (or, as he suggested, to the XLR input) on the Compact.

I can't say if the fellow at GC is right or if what he is proposing would work. We would need to know if the portable receiver unit is stereo and EXACTLY how the adapter was wired (1/8" to XLR). If it is stereo and the left and right channels are being routed to the + and - XLR connections - it probably won't work.***

But ultimately you would have to trust your ears about whether or not you liked the sound of your wireless source as heard through the built-in Microphone preset.

When I use my wireless rig for speaking gigs I use the XLR input on the Compact. This is easy because my wireless microphone rig has an XLR output: no adapters required. When I run full range music - remote/wireless, I use Compact Channel 2 and manage the tone control at the source.

*** Note: if the 1/8" is stereo and you use and adapter to a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve to Compact Channel 2, this probably won't work either. The input to the Compact Channel 2 ¼ inch jack must be mono.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

OK. Here's what I'm referring to:

A Sennheiser bodypack transmitter (from the G3 series, I think) will transmit the mono audio from the ToneMatch out to the remote wireless speakers.

At each speaker, attached at the top of the column, is a Sennheiser portable receiver (tuned to the same channel as the transmitter at the ToneMatch). In this case, I would have two Compact systems at the far corners of the room, let's say.

From the receiver unit, I would have to send that signal to an input on the Compact. That wire/cable runs from the 3.5 mm threaded jack on the Sennheiser microphone receiver unit down to the 1/4" input jack on the Compact. (I don't think it is a stereo receiver; that doesn't make sense to me that it would be.)

I would not daisy chain the Compacts. The same signal going out from the Transmitter from the T1's AUX OUT would be sent wirelessly to each Compact unit simultaneously, being received by the Sennheiser receiver at the top of each tower.

Just to (hopefully) clarify, I'm attaching a diagram of several uses of the proposed Sennheiser system. (I don't know if it will show up, though. I tried using the Sketcher but there is no icon for the wireless body pack mics or receivers, etc.)