Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Are the T4S and L1 Compact a good option on this scenario?

Hi all,

My girlfriend is starting her career as a singer performer artist and I want to make her a surprise by purchasing her some equipment.

She is mainly a jazz/bossa-nova singer. (but sometimes she also sings “faster/louder” songs)

Currently, she is singing in different hotels. And she would like to have her own equipment not to be so dependent of the existing equipment onsite .

For sure she will need a mixer to connect her 2 microphones, her laptop (mac) and the speaker(s). She uses the laptop to play the music and she sings “over” the music.

The “venues” where she sings vary. It can be on the hotel bar, the hotel lobby, outside (near the swimming pool .... Obviously, the size and the acoustics of these places are quite different. On average, I would say that she sings for 40 to 60 people. (max 90). And some crowds are louder than others.

I don’t know much about music equipment but I have been trying to learn, so, I could buy the equipment
I have landed on the T4S and on a L1 compact. I hope this is the sweet spot considering the quality, weight, “transportability”, power, flexibility, time to setup, … 

Do you think this is a good option for this scenario? Should I consider some other option? Any other tips and recommendations?  
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 22, 2019

Re: Are the T4S and L1 Compact a good option on this scenario?

ok, I think it would be an excellent option for your purpose .. I have a bose l1 compact and t1 ,, and I use it to play in religious ceremonies, plug, keyboard, violin and two voices and it goes very well for events of up to 100 people, even in closed places such as churches or halls, can give a little more with exclenete quality. apart mention the portability that this l1 compact gives you

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

I have two L1 System 2 set-ups and DJ for anywhere between 50 and 500 people.  Two sets are over-kill.  One set is perfect.  I play inside bars, outside on the deck at bars, pool parties, etc.  It works great.  I have several friends that use the Compact as you have described and they love it.  Hard to beat Bose and the L1 system is great.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

Hi Miguel...you're already getting some great advice and I would also recommend you purchase the Bose Setup, because that way, she'll always be in control of her own sound and not dependent on the hotel/venue systems.

Here's why she needs to be in control of her own vocal performance. Many singers enjoy working venues where the audience is really there to listen and appreciate the music/performance.

In most Hotel/Bar venues, the audience is usually there for either a good time, have conversations with their friends and the music/singer are just "background" to whatever is going on. Sometimes, they get a bit noisy and if she has the Bose system(s) she can still control the performance/volume for any patrons of the hotel/bar etc who really would like to hear her sing.

So short story, Bose has received tons of testimonials from professional musicians all over North America, offering many recommendations/testimonials regarding why they're pleased with the performance quality that Bose Provides.

George

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Perfect lightweight and versatile combination!!!!

She will love it!!! Don’t forget the big red bow 😉

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi MiguelBap,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

You've done all your research and gotten confirmation here. That's great.

Please remember to order the T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine Power Supply to go with the T4S. You will need it.

Cheers,

ST 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Thank you geras440, Dan S, George Gonzo, Mike and ST

I am really happy to be part of this community. You "guys" are really friendly and Professional.  

I will place the order ASAP but need to find that big red bow as Mike suggested

I will keep you posted. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Hi all,

I need your help again.

Side note, I am going to buy the equipment online (I live in Europe ... BTW).

So, I was looking for a suitable cable to connect the T4S to the L1 compact. I know that I should buy some  ¼ Inch (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced) to ¼ Inch (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced) cable.

But I am not able to find any cable with that "specifications" on the online shop. What is strange, given that this shop is one of the biggest in Europe. 

They have their cables section divided by:

"Instrument cables"

"audio Cables"

"Speaker Cables"

"Microphone cables"

I have read that I should use the right type of cables for the right purpose. For example, I shouldn't use instrument cables, as speaker cables and so on.

So, in my case (T4S to L1) what type of cable should I buy? "Speaker cable"? "Instrument cable"? any other type of cable?

When checking the "speaker cables", I realised that some cables are not suitable for Active speakers and others are not suitable for passive speakers. Well, according to the cable's description.

If I buy "Speaker cables", should I buy the ones for passive speakers or active speakers. It should be active speakers, right? 

Am I allowed to post links from this online shop? 

I have asked this online shop for an advice but I would feel "safer" to get an advice from you

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi MiguelBap,

Please see this article:

T4S to L1 Compact

There are lots of names of cables like this - but the most likely terms would be a signal cables or audio cables.

You need a cable like this:

https://www.thomann.de/be/pro_..._audio_cable_15m.htm

or perhap a longer one depending on how you set your stage.

It's not essential that you get one with a 90 degree connector.

MiguelBap posted:

Hi all,

I need your help again.

Side note, I am going to buy the equipment online (I live in Europe ... BTW).

So, I was looking for a suitable cable to connect the T4S to the L1 compact. I know that I should buy some  ¼ Inch (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced) to ¼ Inch (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced) cable.

But I am not able to find any cable with that "specifications" on the online shop. What is strange, given that this shop is one of the biggest in Europe. 

They have their cables section divided by:

"Instrument cables"

"audio Cables"

"Speaker Cables"

"Microphone cables"

I have read that I should use the right type of cables for the right purpose. For example, I shouldn't use instrument cables, as speaker cables and so on.

None of the Bose Portable PA systems use speaker cables, except when connecting a B1 or B2 bass module to an L1 Power Stand.

So, in my case (T4S to L1) what type of cable should I buy? "Speaker cable"? "Instrument cable"? any other type of cable?

When checking the "speaker cables", I realised that some cables are not suitable for Active speakers and others are not suitable for passive speakers. Well, according to the cable's description.

If I buy "Speaker cables", should I buy the ones for passive speakers or active speakers. It should be active speakers, right? 

Am I allowed to post links from this online shop? 

Yes.

I have asked this online shop for an advice but I would feel "safer" to get an advice from you

Happy to help.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Thank you, ST.

Actually, I am going to buy the equipment from Thomann  

Being unknowledgeable on "music equipment" is making my decisions more complicated than they should be. And I hope I am not being too annoying with my basic doubts.

But with your help it seems that things are starting to make sense now. 

One big issue is that I was mixing the meaning of "balanced audio signals" with left/right stereo balance.

Additionally, I misunderstood what is written here: https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=L1®_Compact#Channel_2

It states: 
Can a stereo signal be used with the ¼ inch jack input?
A ¼ inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve connector carrying a stereo signal should not be used with the analog input on the L1 Compact.

I though I couldn't connect a cable with stereo jacks (TRS) between the T4S and the L1 compact. So, I was trying to find a  ¼ balanced cable with TS connectors. Good luck with that

So, for example, this cable should work fine https://www.thomann.de/be/pro_...62010_audiokabel.htm ,right? Well, it states it is balanced.

BTW … The T4S has a left and a right ¼ balanced outputs. But each of these outputs are mono. So, Connecting only one of these ports to the L1 I am not sending a stereo signal. Even if the cable/jack could support a stereo signal.

I have another question related with cables and the T4S. 

Let’s say that my girlfriend decides to use her T4S with other active speakers that have  XLR audio input. So, ideally, I should try to use ¼ to XLR balanced cables, right? Like this one: https://www.thomann.de/be/cord...klinke_xlr_kabel.htm

It is pity that the T4S doesnt have XLR outputs like the T8S. I have read that the XLR connectors might be better because they are more “flexible”. I mean, the cables are easier to find and last longer. 

Would it be worth it to consider the T8S instead of the T4S because of the additional XLR outputs? It might be overkill for what my girlfriend needs. But given that I am making a huge investment it might be a good idea to think if it is with it.