Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Are the T4S and L1 Compact a good option on this scenario?

Hi

MiguelBap posted:

Thank you, ST.

Actually, I am going to buy the equipment from Thomann
Being unknowledgeable on "music equipment" is making my decisions more complicated than they should be. And I hope I am not being too annoying with my basic doubts.
We're all beginners at something.
But with your help it seems that things are starting to make sense now. 
One big issue is that I was mixing the meaning of "balanced audio signals" with left/right stereo balance.
 Additionally, I misunderstood what is written here: https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=L1®_Compact#Channel_2
It states: 
Can a stereo signal be used with the ¼ inch jack input?
A ¼ inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve connector carrying a stereo signal should not be used with the analog input on the L1 Compact.
I though I couldn't connect a cable with stereo jacks (TRS) between the T4S and the L1 compact. So, I was trying to find a  ¼ balanced cable with TS connectors. Good luck with that
It's easy to understand the misunderstanding. Please see this article:

Balanced vs Unbalanced 

So, for example, this cable should work fine https://www.thomann.de/be/pro_...62010_audiokabel.htm ,right? Well, it states it is balanced.

That cable looks fine.

BTW … The T4S has a left and a right ¼ balanced outputs. But each of these outputs are mono. So, Connecting only one of these ports to the L1 I am not sending a stereo signal. Even if the cable/jack could support a stereo signal.
Yes, you've got it.

I have another question related with cables and the T4S. 

Let’s say that my girlfriend decides to use her T4S with other active speakers that have  XLR audio input. So, ideally, I should try to use ¼ to XLR balanced cables, right? Like this one: https://www.thomann.de/be/cord...klinke_xlr_kabel.htm

It is pity that the T4S doesnt have XLR outputs like the T8S. I have read that the XLR connectors might be better because they are more “flexible”. I mean, the cables are easier to find and last longer. 

That hasn't been my experience

Please see: Preferred cable type: T8 to L1 base unit

Would it be worth it to consider the T8S instead of the T4S because of the additional XLR outputs?

No. That's not a reason to choose the T8S instead of the T4S.  Note: The T8S has both XLR and 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve outputs. One is not better than the other.

It might be overkill for what my girlfriend needs. But given that I am making a huge investment it might be a good idea to think if it is with it.

Get the T8S if you think you may need more inputs later. It's great to have more inputs if your girlfriend

• Plays multiple instruments and would prefer not to swap cables around
  • Might add more instruments to her show
  • Might have other people join her
  • Might want to add backing tracks

If you're certain the T4S has enough inputs for now and the future, then get it.

Cheers,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Once again, Thank you ST

I have placed the order today. I kept the original plan and I have ordered the T4S and the L1 Compact.

I also order the cables (thank you ST ) and some other useful things: cable ties, a portable cable tester, ...  

I will keep you posted and I will try to share my girlfriend's experiences Well, currently she is on another Country, so, for now I cannot provide first hand experiences.

I will suggest her to join this forum and to share her experiences. This is, definitely, a great place to learn and improve. And we learn so much by reading other's doubts/suggestions/feedback.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi MiguelBap,

Congratulations!

I will look forward to hearing more about your girlfriend's experiences with the T4S and L1 Compact.  

Cheers,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Hello again,

As mentioned, I have order the equipment and it is on his way to my girlfriend (currently she is based on a different Country).

In order to save her some time/headache, I have been reading on how to connect the T4S to the L1 compact and how to make the initial setup.

I have read the instructions on how to connect the L1 compact to the T4S, here: https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/ind...le=T4S_to_L1_Compact

Given that my girlfriend uses 2 microphones and her laptop while performing I have watched also  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7tXyUb8ZM (Bose T8S USB B from PC to Channels 7/8) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zilFOSPmsS4 (T4S/T8S USB B from PC to Aux 9 10 )

I have some doubts and I would appreciate if someone could clarify them for me  

• As a rule of thumb, is it better to connect the PC to the T4S via USB than via analog AUX in? I would guess the USB might be better cause it might have/cause less interference but I am not sure.

• When we route the USB B from PC to channels 3/4 we are able to “process/EQ” the input signal/audio. We can even apply a specific ToneMatch for DJ/music, right? So, should we consider that option “better” than route the USB B from PC to Aux 5/6?

•  If she routes the USB B from PC to channels 3/4 and given that she will use the L1 Compact, should she pan both channels 3/4 to hard RIGHT? The same might be true for if USB B from PC is routed to Aux 5/6.

•  Given that the output will be mono (only one L1 compact) is it possible, or does it even make sense, to route the USB B from PC to just channel 3 (instead of routing to both channels 3 and 4)?
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

I will leave others to advise on the T4s to L1 Compact connections, but once you get things hooked up, there is a wealth of good info to review on the T4s features here https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/ind...le=T4S/T8S_ToneMatch®_Mixer

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi MiguelBap,

MiguelBap posted:

Hello again,

As mentioned, I have order the equipment and it is on his way to my girlfriend (currently she is based on a different Country).
Thanks for the update.
In order to save her some time/headache, I have been reading on how to connect the T4S to the L1 compact and how to make the initial setup.
That's very considerate of you.
I have read the instructions on how to connect the L1 compact to the T4S, here: https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/ind...le=T4S_to_L1_Compact
Given that my girlfriend uses 2 microphones and her laptop while performing I have watched also  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7tXyUb8ZM (Bose T8S USB B from PC to Channels 7/8) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zilFOSPmsS4 (T4S/T8S USB B from PC to Aux 9 10 )
Great research.
I have some doubts and I would appreciate if someone could clarify them for me
  • As a rule of thumb, is it better to connect the PC to the T4S via USB than via analog AUX in? I would guess the USB might be better cause it might have/cause less interference but I am not sure.

I like connecting via USB because it makes use of the built-in sound card in the T4S.  Sound cards in lap top computers are sometimes less than stellar.

Using the USB connection gives you more routing options

• When we route the USB B from PC to channels 3/4 we are able to “process/EQ” the input signal/audio. We can even apply a specific ToneMatch for DJ/music, right? So, should we consider that option “better” than route the USB B from PC to Aux 5/6?

For you application, I would route the USB from PC to channel 3 (both left and right)

•  If she routes the USB B from PC to channels 3/4 and given that she will use the L1 Compact, should she pan both channels 3/4 to hard RIGHT? The same might be true for if USB B from PC is routed to Aux 5/6.
  •  Given that the output will be mono (only one L1 compact) is it possible, or does it even make sense, to route the USB B from PC to just channel 3 (instead of routing to both channels 3 and 4)?

You've thought it through - and yes,  routing both left and right to channel 3 is a good choice (pan right).

• This gives you the ability to use ToneMatch Presets, EQ, and effects (although you probably won't use effects for backing tracks).
  • This gives you the ability to control the volume of the backing tracks by using the single volume control for channel 3.

Okay?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Thanks ST You totally, clarified my doubts And it seems my thinking process was correct. But I am happy to get my doubts clarified.

My girlfriend has a mac book pro. I hope the process will be trivial. I have read that some mac users have had some issues. Well, fingers crossed that everything will go smooth

Thank you once again

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi MiguelBap,

There were some issues with the ToneMatch updater software running on the latest version of the macOS. Those issues were resolved with the latest version of the ToneMatch updater.

To do the routing we talked above you will want to make sure the T8S firmware is up to date.  Please follow the link below.

T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

As promised here's a quick update... So, last week, my girlfriend has received the equipment. She was in "shock". She was not expecting such a surprise.
She has already used the L1 compact a couple of times. She is amazed on how cristal-clear does it sound. She says that the sound is not "loud" ... But the sound just "covers" perfectly the venues. That the sound propagation is "magical" .
She also says that with such a great system she will improve her singing skills. She can hear herself properly. With lower quality equipment she can't detect the subtle differences on her voice/signing. 

I haven't hear it yet cause we are in different countries  right now. 

As of now, she has been using her "old" mixer. She is still getting familiar with the T4S. But soon she will start using both.
Once again, thank you for your help on this process.

BTW... One quick question... When routing USB B from pc to channels 3/4 should she be able to control the volume (of channels 3/4) using the "per channel volume knob"?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

Hi Miguel...that's Wonderful News. After she gets comfortable using your gift of her "magic system," perhaps she could record one of her performances and share them with us. Love to hear how she sounds with the new Bose. ST is most qualified to answer your question, and provide the excellent advice you're looking for....George