Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

B2 stacking questions

Hi folks. I have three B2's (and 2 L1 Model II's).

I have some questions about the subs:

1. If you have three subs side by side, does the third sub have an additional additive gain effect (+3dB) like the first two do?

2. If you put B2's on opposite sides of the power base, are they close enough to create the +3dB additive effect?

3. I noticed the manual says not to stack more than two B2's. What is the reason for that? They certainly seem strong enough to stack three.

Thanks folks. Looking forward to your feedback.

Rob

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: B2 stacking questions

Hi Rob,

EBDS posted:

Hi folks. I have three B2's (and 2 L1 Model II's).

I have some questions about the subs:

1. If you have three subs side by side, does the third sub have an additional additive gain effect (+3dB) like the first two do?

No. You would need to double the power and double the acoustic volume to hear a significant difference.

Going from one to two you get up to:

+3 dB by doubling the power

+3 dB by doubling of acoustic volume, cone area and close coupling between the speakers (this requires that centers of all the drivers are within a 30 inch sphere)

Going from two to three, you are not doubling the power, and you have not doubled the acoustic volume.

To really hear the difference, you'd need to go from two B2s to four B2s, (two stacks of two)

2. If you put B2's on opposite sides of the power base, are they close enough to create the +3dB additive effect?

Yes, the drivers are close enough.

3. I noticed the manual says not to stack more than two B2's. What is the reason for that? They certainly seem strong enough to stack three.

Thanks folks. Looking forward to your feedback.

Rob

You've got to draw the line somewhere. I asked Bose where the line was. They said two.  If you stack three high, the bottom unit is bearing the weight of the two above it (45 + 45 pounds). 

Please see the following article about Bass Module Positioning.

ST