Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Re: BOSE L1 Compact Wireless Setup

I've been using the Phonic wireless system for over four years. Both receiver and transmitter are ac powered. I never liked the battery ones. Batteries drain and signal gets scratchy etc. plus, it's another cost to buy batteries. So far I've been able to do a wireless signal further than the 300 feet in ideal locations that the manual says, even on another floor above or below.
Joe Nardi
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

the thing i like about Line 6 is there is absolutely no delay in the signal

and the batteries last 8 hours....unless your going overtime by 2 hours 8 hours should be enough to get you through the night.

I order my batteries on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell...id=1320419661&sr=8-1

it costs me $2 a party to power all my speakers for the night
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by NAW-T-BOY:
line 6 g50!!!! FTW

At a meeting of the area chapter of the AJDA earlier this week, one of the DJs there said it he loves the Line 6, but there is a severe drawback to it: because it runs on its own wireless hi-fi system, it shuts down the access to the venue's wi-fi. That's bad for many of us who use that as a way to do a quick download of a guest's request or a last-minute, "Oh, don't forget [song] tonight. Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier!" from the bride. With the house wi-fi out, then you have to go through the 3G connection on the iPhone...
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by Dynamite DJs:
I've been using the Phonic wireless system for over four years. Both receiver and transmitter are ac powered. I never liked the battery ones. Batteries drain and signal gets scratchy etc. plus, it's another cost to buy batteries. So far I've been able to do a wireless signal further than the 300 feet in ideal locations that the manual says, even on another floor above or below.

I have the Phonic W5 system, which is compliant with the new FCC regs regarding wireless microphones. However, that is now out of production with no plans to make more or to upgrade the product. My problem with the W5 is its lack of range. While you may not have had any problems with it, I have had nothing BUT problems with it. It will have a strong signal, but there are lots of quick, momentary dropouts of the signal/sound. I could live with it if it only happened once in a great while, but it happens far too frequently for me to ignore. The test for me is, "Would I be OK with it if I were a guest sitting next to the speaker?" And my answer is, "No, that's way too annoying to allow me to enjoy the music." I would keep waiting for and trying to guess when the next dropout would occur.

So that's why I'm researching other solutions. The most promising one is using the Sennheiser wireless microphone system(s) for video cameras. That whole scenario is in another thread called "Another Look at Wireless Operation of L1 Systems."
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Media, you haven't transposed the wall warts have you? There is one for the receiver and one for the transmitter. In my set up they are not the same. They have different power ratings and if you have switched them you may have a problem.
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

I am providing 6 L1 systems today, (2 L1 M1s and 4 L1 Compacts, four of which are being fed wireless signals from the command console) for a trade show floor of about 200 vendors, while expecting 1200 visitors though not all at once.

After my beloved Sony WRT/WRR series equipment, all of it on UHF channels 68 & 69 whose frequencies were reassigned by the FCC and banned for everyday use in the USA**, my company went with the MiPro series of wireless along with the Beyerdynamic handheld mic capsules.

When long distances are encountered (such as one 200 foot L1 Compact is today), the perceived delay factor with the line array is negligible. Why? Don't know, don't care, it just is. Proper volume adjustments make the overall audio experience almost seamless throughout the huge convention facility.

Receivers: http://www.mipro.com.tw/link/2_4_mr90eng.htm

Transmitters: http://www.mipro.com.tw/link/2_1_1_2_1_act707tm.htm

Probably why these MiPro units work so well is they are built and engineered extremely well and their frequency range is very close to that of the line array.

** I have about $20K in now illegal to use in the US UHF wireless gear. I understand those bands are still legit in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc.. The right offer might alleviate my misfortune in having these expensive quality paperweights hanging around. Hint Hint.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

Well, friends, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Sennheiser system that will meet my wireless speaker needs. Here's what I'm getting:

2 Sennheiser ew100 G3 series transmitters (body packs). These will plug into the AUX and MASTER out on the ToneMatch. I can use these to send audio to two different L1 speaker systems wirelessly. (Just tune both transmitters (and receivers) to the same channel.
2 Sennheiser ew100 G3 series receivers (designed for being attached to video cameras, so they are small and are easily attached and hidden on the top of the L1 Towers. (Again, be sure to set everything to the same channel.)
1 Sennheiser XLR Plug-On transmitter. This little device allows you to use any wired microphone with an XLR connection as a wireless microphone. [On those occasions when I will be using the Sennheiser microphone systems as actual microphones (they come with lavalier microphones) for a wedding ceremony, the XLR Plug-On can be on my Shure SM58 for the reader or soloist to use.]
An Odyssey VUM case to hold it all.

Of course, you get Sennheiser lavalier mics, and cables (1/8" threaded male to XLR and 1/8" to 1/8", etc.).

The system comes with instructions on how to adjust the settings for the right impedance, etc. These instructions are not from Sennheiser but from the place that is selling me the system (they are in Eugene, OR--I'm in Pittsburgh,PA). The guys at this store use the systems to make their speakers wireless at their own gigs, so they have good advice about how it's all done.

Most likely, I'll be ordering the system(s) in the next two days. I'm looking forward to the multi-use capabilities, most important of which is the ability to use my L1 speaker systems as wireless speakers.
sevarin
Registered since

Mar 25, 2015

I'm going to revive this thread, since the subject exists already. What do you guys think of the Shure GLX-D 14 Wireless Instrument Transmitter and Receiver system?
It claims 20Hz-20kHz, 16 hours of operations, rechargeable battery pack. Would that be a good fit to go wireless with the L1 M2?
jaswrx
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 24, 2011

It's ok. Not great range, and inconsistent.

I use the Shure QLXD. No comparison.
toivo
Registered since

Jun 23, 2015

Well I also need to pull the trigger on a wireless setup for the L1 within the next 2 weeks.

I just started looking. The only dedicated system I can find is the ALTO systems, and on everyting else I use, I only trust diversity systems, so looks like the Stelth pro. http://www.altoproaudio.com/pr...stealth-wireless-pro around $600
They have the cheaper $400 http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless but I am afraid of non-diversity systems.

Looking at this thread, I think I will research the wireless camcorder sound systems a little, but I am not too hopeful to find something.

I would rather not "kit bash" a microphone or lav system, and most of them seem to have huge receivers, which would have to be mounted to the L1.

Any other options I would be very interested in.