stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

Backdrops & Banners - How do you do it?

I am interested in adding a banner with my name and logo to my setup. I think it would look best if I also had a black backdrop of some kind behind me when performing with the logo, and was thinking about some simple led lighting to highlight the banner and myself. Maybe one led light shining softly on the banner, and the other one on myself.

I am interested in seeing/hearing how others do this. I want something very simple and easy to set up. I use the L1M2 with 2B1s, so I don't want to lug along more stuff.

Any ideas/pics would be appreciated.

Dave
28 REPLIES 28
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: Backdrops & Banners - How do you do it?

Hi stos2,

Not much action here, I'll offer an opinion.

Many venues will not want the entertainment to mess with the decor by introducing their own backdrop and signage. I think prior approval with management would be appropriate in all venues.

Back in the late 70's I booked entertainment for a small chain of motels. On occasion I would book an act on word of mouth without really knowing what they did or how well they did it. I recall a hotel manager requesting I come to check out an act that had been booked in this manner. I arrived to find foot tall styrofoam letters spelling the guys name, sprinkled with glued on glitter, propped against the front of the stage. It was very unprofessional looking and certainly not in line with the image the motel wanted to project to their customers.

I am reminded of the old adage, the bigger the name is painted on the bus, the less well known is the act.

Make your show the focus of your audience's attention. When they come to you during break or after the show and ask your name, if you don't have a cd for sale, offer a simple business card. Maybe something with your name, a small picture or caricature of yourself and basic contact information, like phone, email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

A simple pipe and drape backdrop, in black, might be appropriate in many venues but I am unaware of a system that is lightweight and compact enough to carry to all gigs.

O..
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
I am interested in adding a banner with my name and logo to my setup. I think it would look best if I also had a black backdrop of some kind behind me when performing with the logo, and was thinking about some simple led lighting to highlight the banner and myself. Maybe one led light shining softly on the banner, and the other one on myself.

Hi Dave

We are a duo and use Led lighting on a stand behind us. We point the Led Cans angled down on us from above. Simple and effective. We also use a black velvet drop from the keyboard to the floor which hides all wires. It is attached with velcro. We always have our business cards in a holder visible and nearby.

Works for us.

Do it "YOURWAY"

Aj
Music is neither new or old ...it just "is"
Mister_D
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 31, 2010

Hi Dave,
A lot of the venues I play have no stage. So I was also was looking to do what you are talking about.
I had a couple of cheap speaker stands left over from my 4 pc band days. I used them and made a cross-over bar from PVC and then ordered me a 8 ft. banner. I used velcro on the bottom of the banner and got me some light black cloth and attached that to the bottom of the banner to cover the back of my set-up all the way to the floor. I am currently working on the front of my set-up as you can see from the pic.
I am using 4 LED lights.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hey ther Mister "D",

It looks like you've got all your stage covered, lights, backdrop, banner and perimeter.

What kinds of places are you playing? How long does it take to set up? Does all of that fit into a passenger car?
stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

Thanks guys for the input. Great idea with the velcro for hanging the black material. I never thought of that. Thanks "D" for the pic. Looks nice. It helps spark ideas.
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

The show I do at a museum has a retractable sign with stand that unrolls like a window shade. It is very classy. I'm sure you can get one from one of the trade show supply companies.
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Here's one right off. http://bannerstands4less.com/
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

If this could be made with an acoustically transparent fabric and then mounted in front of the L1 (with the base straddling the powerstand)I can think of a lot of cool things that could be printed on it for visual effect. My first choice would be a large scale picture of a Bose 402 II speaker grill, screen printed on black fabric.

O..
hellboy
Registered since

Jan 16, 2008

We happen to use a "Times Square" Sign (small portable scrolling LED display).

That way, we can input anything we like on the sign (alternate Band Names, Website/Facebook Details, "Happy Birthday messages", Jokes etc etc etc) and this really draws attention despite the smaller size.
Also it's VERY portable and cheaper than most Pro Printed Signs.

Soon, we will upgrade to a Laser Display that projects our Actual Logo Artwork onto anywhere we want.

Banner Stands are nice too, but where we play, many Venues use them already to advertise in-house events - thus any "Banner Band Sign" wouldn't stand out.

Look, each to their own, but being HONEST - *most* huge printed (or at least home-made) signs look awfully tacky and amateurish to many people.

Why not try something different?