PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Last week I heard a guy play 12 string with using just a drum track. It sounded very well. The musician did play the bass with a thumb pick besides rhythm and lead.

Just more info to think about.
bubba1
Registered since

Nov 29, 2010

I have read all the post in this thread and if I can without putting a ruffle in anyones feathers speak to using Karaoke tracks as backing tracks.I love music....played in a stage band for 30 plus years and thourghly enjoyed it.So for me going to a singles act using Karaoke tracks was a hard pill to swallow comming from live stage preforming.Why some might ask?Well the idea of following tracks as a musician was for me a form of cheating or worse.....LOL
So when I finally decided to do the solo act I started using Karaoke tracks and doing the rythum guitar playing and vocals.Well as I got deeper into it I became entranced and after I bought my L1 System I became infected.
There is no work other than finding good tracks to use,I have listened to backing track artist and although Its cool I find Karaoke tracks to be better suited for me.I love the fact I can flavor the songs with my own style of rhythum and the harmonies and lead are right there.
And to me using the L1 System has been the key to my music revival......
So where do I go on this site to find musicians who use Karaoke Tracks ....Or am I alone.....??? Roll Eyes
captacoustic
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Hi. There are musicians here who use backing tracks. I'm one of them. For the most part, I try to limit the amount of them I use and I also try to limit them to bass and drums.

I've had to learn that just because there is a good backing track available doesn't necessarily mean I SHOULD use it. I've had songs such as Mr. Bojangles, Cat's In The Cradle, In My Life and others that simply work better for me to be done with acoustic guitar and vocal only.

On the other hand, when I do Down On The Corner or Get Back, the bass and drums lock in a great groove.
jdpuentejr@aol.com
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 28, 2018

Hello Bubba,
There is an other option you may look into.I recently had Jim McCarty make me some custom backing tracks of two of my original tunes for performing live.He is a session drummer and makes backing tracks with acoustic drums and bass guitar,a true professional.Playing these tracks through my L1 was like having a live drummer and bass player on stage with me.He has an extensive catalog of backing tracks in a variety of cover tunes.He has discount prices for working musicians like yourself.Checkout his site at jim@drum-tracks.com,your L1 will respond with the feel of a live two piece band backing you IMHO.
onemanband
Registered since

Jun 16, 2005

I am not sure exactly what the difference is between Karaoke tracks and backing tracks? Is it that the Karaoke is (somewhat) true to the original arrangement? In any case, I almost always write my own anyway, so it sounds like a 7 piece band with me cloned on all the instruments. And since it is midi, I choose during the performance which track I am going to mute and play that track live myself.
tightropetom
Registered since

Oct 27, 2007

Backing Track vs Karaoke Track

Depends on what you mean by karaoke track. Karaoke tracks usually try to faithfully recreate all instrumental parts except for the main vocals. For me, backing tracks use all instruments except the one I play (guitar) and vocals. I try to record my own where possible although I have downloaded some multitrack recordings and removed the guitar and vocal parts.

T
captacoustic
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

I also make some of my own backing tracks. Since I'm primarily using only bass and drum tracks (most from Jim McCarty's site) I will sometimes add a little 'reminder' for certain parts of the song (i.e. the entry point to go into the bridge for the Dead's 'Truckin') by placing a chord into the backing track.

Karaoke Version can work for me too as their site lets me take out all the horns, piano, etc. and keep the bass and drums. I sometimes alter the bass in Audacity. I also sometimes keep some of the backing vocals as well to beef up songs.

In general, I find Karaoke Version's tracks to be more compressed than Jim McCarty's. His backing tracks sound more natural to me. I would never have taken on Strawberry Fields without his drums and bass but with them I can add some fingerstyle guitar and do the song confidently.
bubba1
Registered since

Nov 29, 2010

Thanks for the input people....Variety is definitely better anyway...its great to see all the styles and the work you people put into your playing.
I am making more money now than I ever did playing with live bands and the L1 System and an even brighter outlook for 2011.Sometime when I figure this all out I will post a track of me playing acoustic guitar and vocals using the material I work with.
Thanks Again for the info and Merry Christmas to you all and your families.
Dan

God Is Great - Beer Is Good - And The L1 Rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin
tightropetom
Registered since

Oct 27, 2007

You can also try songgalaxy.com.

They're based in the UK and sell multitracks as either audio clips or MIDI files. You need third party software to extract the audio multitracks but they're generally excellent.

I still like to record my own wherever I can but sometimes if the song I want is on there and I'm feeling lazy I may get it from them!!!
I often find that some tracks such as the drum tracks don't sound quite right so I use logic to beatmap the song (figured out from the included click track) and redo the drums myself and whichever other instruments don't sound quite to my taste.

Tom