tonydee
Registered since

May 28, 2010

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Thanks ST. I have a question pertaining to connecting an IPOD to the T1. I believe I saw in an old post its a mini male/Y cable connecting to T1 channels 4 and 5. Would this be the cable to connect from an IPOD to the T1 ?
Mini male to Y ? http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-CMP.../178-7040482-5196650
What would be the advantage connecting the IPOD to 4 and 5, if any ?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Tonydee,

Yes, a cable like this should work fine.

You can read more about this in Backing Tracks

quote:
Originally posted by tonydee:
Thanks ST. I have a question pertaining to connecting an IPOD to the T1. I believe I saw in an old post its a mini male/Y cable connecting to T1 channels 4 and 5. Would this be the cable to connect from an IPOD to the T1 ?
Mini male to Y ? http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-CMP.../178-7040482-5196650
What would be the advantage connecting the IPOD to 4 and 5, if any ?

If you attach to T1® Channels 4/5 (both of them) using a cable like the one pictured above, you are going to get BOTH left and right channels from your iPod. The T1® combines the two for you. If you use only one T1® Channel you may be getting only one side of your stereo input.

Connectors like this:

basically short the left and right outputs together. Although this may work for you, it's not ideal. You can read about that in the Backing Tracks article

Did that answer your question?
tonydee
Registered since

May 28, 2010

Perfect ST. Thanks so much !!!
gibsoneer321
Registered since

Apr 13, 2007

Hey guys ,I'm using the jam man and would like to run it thru my L1 T1, I also have a digitech vl4 running thru T1. How do I patch in the jam man in the mix
banditt
Registered since

May 13, 2006

Hello all been a while since I last posted. Just can't help putting my 2 cents worth on this subject Smile I have been using backing tracks since 2005. Learned the hard way and the expensive way! But I now have it exactly the way I want it. Took some selling and buying and experimenting. Anyway, I use A program called "Showplay" http://www.showplay.com/ Worth every cent, Support is absolutely perfect. The program is used with a laptop, I use a netbook. I have a 200 dollar minimal powerful netbook. Ok, I use a program called Cubase se. I paid 90 dollars for it. It has a great Midi editor in it and it is really straight forward. I don't like the gm sounds most people use to play there Midi songs I am strictly a Drum, Bass backing person). I first bought a Roland DR-5 drum machine. Ebay has them all day long for about 140 bucks.I plug the netbook into that with a USB to midi cable http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Uno/ and use the internal drum, bass and key sounds. Easy and straight forward. Showplay lets you do everything on the fly even while playing. Pitch change, tempo change and you can mute any instrument with one click. Showplay now has the ability to loop any area of a Midi song.With the click of a foot switch (I use the Yamaha momentary foot switch) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FC5/ you can replay a solo part as much as you want(keeps them on the dance floor longer). With another click the song will continue on and end as usual. You can also use Mp3 and wav file songs too. I am not associated with Showplay but am really satisfied with it's ability to handle everything needed on stage. My setup is very straight forward now. Only thing missing is the BOSE system. I am getting closer though!
onemanband
Registered since

Jun 16, 2005

Wow! I can't believe I have not seen this thread until now (too many gigs I guess). I have been doing over over 80 gigs a year since 1996 as a solo performer with midi backing tracks. Let me give you some of the pros/cos of midi vs wav/mp3.

To start with, let me explain why midi is great with the bose system. I have 3 sets of L1M2. Since my keyboard has multiple audio outputs, I have assigned the drums, bass and rhythm guitar to one output and one L1 (with 4 B1). (I play keys - not guitar.) The keys, clean/riff guitar, horns, strings, and everything else goes to the second L1 (with 1 B1) and my vocals, live sax, and the default lead instrument goes to the third L1 (with 1 B1 and a T1). This gives me the spatial stage presence of a full band as I space them about 10 feet apart. Also, it is more how the bose system was designed to be used - ie. no sounds come out of more than one system. Because it is midi, I can (live!) mute any one track and play that one live on my keyboard or sax (or sing), control the individual track volume and effect on the fly, change the tempo and key on the fly, select any area of the song and choose to loop over just that area - on the fly.... etc. Band-in-a-box is the best money you will ever spend for creating backing tracks, specially if you take the time to really learn it well. You can go to the library and borrow a book with lead sheets, enter the chords and choose a style, and in 2 minutes you have a backing track... The only time I buy a song is when the groom comes over to me at the wedding and requests one I don't have/know. I go online, buy the song, and in 5 minutes I am playing it.

The only "con" is that the midi file requires a "device" to play the audio. So either you need a keyboard, or a sound module. Or nowadays, just a laptop (and audio interface), as there are excellent sound module "plugins" that run on your laptop that will blow you away with the realism and sound quality. Even the GM mode on some of the better ones are unbelievable. The average song only takes up 60k or so (at least for me) and that is with eight different tracks per song!
But all the advantages aside, when I first got my two L1s, I ran them as a FOH stereo pair (like I had run my mackies). Then I did some reading and tried dual mono. Then I did some more reading, bought a third L1, and split the tracks/vocals/sax among the 3 units. Wow! The sound is smooth, consistent, and real! When I stand out front, and close my eyes, I not only hear, but I feel a full band on stage. And I cut out a rack of equipment and my monitors.
tonydee
Registered since

May 28, 2010

This thread is great ! More info then I ever expected. I'm on information overload right now Smile Great thread on a great forum. Can we be sure this thread will always be out there and not removed ? Thanks to everyone for continuously sharing their thoughts and experiences.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi tonydee,

quote:
This thread is great ! More info then I ever expected. I'm on information overload right now Smile Great thread on a great forum. Can we be sure this thread will always be out there and not removed ? Thanks to everyone for continuously sharing their thoughts and experiences.

Almost everything that has ever been posted here in the last nearly seven years... is still here.

Occasionally things get moved around and links get broken, but that hasn't happened much in a couple of years. There's no reason to think that this thread will be removed.

If you want to keep a copy for reference
  1. Go to the first page in the thread
  2. Scroll to the top
  3. On the grey menu click Tools
  4. Then click Printer Friendly Format
  5. Then use your browswer's print or save commands to do whichever you prefer (print or save to you computer)
  6. To return to the normal view of the page click your browser Back button or hit the backspace key on your keyboard.
  7. Go to the next page in the thread and repeat the steps.
joelclyde
Registered since

Sep 15, 2009

I do just that. I make MIDI tracks (because they are easier to manipulate than wavs)in Mixcraft (the best program out there, and a steal at only $75.00), change instruments, and do all my editing, then mix down to a wav file and save it on my laptop.

Then on my shows, I just make playlists in Real Player, or Windows Media Player, and run the computer through my mixer, and into the L-1, then just sing along, and play whatever instrument I want on the song, and use my Vocalist Live 4 for harmony. I make a full-time living this way. It works.

quote:
Hi all;
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on backing tracks for solo performing. I'm a vocalist/guitarist who's pretty much been in bands but I want to try the solo thing now. It would be vocal oriented stuff like Beatles, Eagles, America etc. I have a Bose Model II and currently use a Line 6 Pod X3 Live. Is it better to go with a loop device or play recorded tracks through the PA ?
I'm a total newbie going this route so I really appreciate any and all feedback.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Tony
onemanband
Registered since

Jun 16, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Joel Clyde:
I do just that. I make MIDI tracks (because they are easier to manipulate than wavs)in Mixcraft (the best program out there, and a steal at only $75.00), change instruments, and do all my editing, then mix down to a wav file and save it on my laptop.

Why bother mixing down to wav? What do you gain by doing that?