captacoustic
Contributor
  • 2
  • 940
  • 0
Registered since

Dec 14, 2003

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Another thing I do for some tracks is add some guitar or vocal parts on top of the drum and bass tracks I use. This is particularly helpful for songs that start acapella or with only a slight click track prior to kicking in. The extra guitar parts or vocals act as a guide to where I am within the song.

I use this

http://www.sweetwater.com/stor...G7yqICFRY75Qod3iWQxQ

by simply putting it in front of me and playing/singing. Works really great as a recorder only (bypassing the video) because the mics are high end.

I then feed the bass/drum track into a free program I found online (Audacity) and feed the new sound file and end up with a high quality track that has been customized for my purposes (I also change the bass key with this program sometimes).

I also make some backing tracks with just guitar, to which I will play live banjo against. The more I do this, the more I like it because I feel like the track is based on my style and not someone elses.
banditt
Member
  • 0
  • 35
  • 0
Registered since

May 13, 2006

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Im just guessing so he won't have to drag a sound module out of his home and just use an mp3 wav player. Just a guess here. I have a Roland XV5050 sound module that has some nice sampled sounds. Wish I didn't have to drag that around with me.
joelclyde
Member
  • 0
  • 42
  • 0
Registered since

Sep 15, 2009

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Waaaayyyy better sound. Virtual Instruments are not MIDI (although they follow MIDI information). My tracks all sound like real instruments, and at 32 bits at 48 khz, the depth and detail of the music (especially through the L-1) is astounding.

If you need to save space, then mix down to a wav first, then mix the wav down to mp3, and you won't loose as much depth.


quote:
Originally posted by OneManBand:
quote:
Originally posted by Joel Clyde:
I do just that. I make MIDI tracks (because they are easier to manipulate than wavs)in Mixcraft (the best program out there, and a steal at only $75.00), change instruments, and do all my editing, then mix down to a wav file and save it on my laptop.


Why bother mixing down to wav? What do you gain by doing that?
joelclyde
Member
  • 0
  • 42
  • 0
Registered since

Sep 15, 2009

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

I use cheaters, too, like cymbal count-ins, or clicks.

Hey, whatever works, right????

quote:
Originally posted by captbanjo:
Another thing I do for some tracks is add some guitar or vocal parts on top of the drum and bass tracks I use. This is particularly helpful for songs that start acapella or with only a slight click track prior to kicking in. The extra guitar parts or vocals act as a guide to where I am within the song.

I use this

http://www.sweetwater.com/stor...G7yqICFRY75Qod3iWQxQ

by simply putting it in front of me and playing/singing. Works really great as a recorder only (bypassing the video) because the mics are high end.

I then feed the bass/drum track into a free program I found online (Audacity) and feed the new sound file and end up with a high quality track that has been customized for my purposes (I also change the bass key with this program sometimes).

I also make some backing tracks with just guitar, to which I will play live banjo against. The more I do this, the more I like it because I feel like the track is based on my style and not someone elses.
joelclyde
Member
  • 0
  • 42
  • 0
Registered since

Sep 15, 2009

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

I use my laptop, straight into the mixer. It works great (it must, because I stay booked at least 3 months ahead).

quote:
Originally posted by banditt:
Im just guessing so he won't have to drag a sound module out of his home and just use an mp3 wav player. Just a guess here. I have a Roland XV5050 sound module that has some nice sampled sounds. Wish I didn't have to drag that around with me.
onemanband
Member
  • 0
  • 187
  • 0
Registered since

Jun 16, 2005

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

quote:
Originally posted by Joel Clyde:
Waaaayyyy better sound. Virtual Instruments are not MIDI (although they follow MIDI information). My tracks all sound like real instruments, and at 32 bits at 48 khz, the depth and detail of the music (especially through the L-1) is astounding.

That is what I was asking. Why not leave your files as midi and play the virtual instrument that you are using anyway to record to WAV? This way, you can change tempo and transpose on the fly because you are just playing the midi file. You are not getting any "better" sound by converting them to wav first. And there is no need for an additional sound module as the laptop's virtual instrument are your sound module.
joelclyde
Member
  • 0
  • 42
  • 0
Registered since

Sep 15, 2009

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Because the software (mine, anyway..Mixcraft, and SONAR) won't save Virtual Instrument information as MIDI. It will only save that information as a wav, mp3, WMA, etc... If I don't mix it down to one of these formats, then when I pull it back up, all I will get is the origianl 'cheesy' sounding MIDI instruments. And, once I get a song mixed like I want, I don't need to make any changes on the fly. That's one less thing I have to concentrate on onstage. If I want to change anything, it is easy to pull the origianl MIDI file up, and re-mix it in just a few minutes.

Up until my Yamaha PSR 9000 Pro keyboard died (about 6 months ago) I did just like you are doing, and used MIDI onstage. Sometimes I do miss the ability to make quick changes onstage, but the sound is so much better this way (and I can haul around a much lighter keyboard), and there are fewer 'surprises' onstage (messed up MIDI track, etc...). One thing about MIDI files is that they are very easily corrupted, and can play back with some tracks in the wrong key, wrong instrument, and sound like a train wreck. It has happened to me onstage before. Audio files either play back correctly, or not at all.

Another advantage is if I am just going to do a song or two, say at an open mic, or other function, I can burn the audio to a CD, addding my back-up harmony to it, and just take my guitar and play the tracks through a house CD player, and not have to haul all my stuff, and hook it up just for a few songs.

I guess it just different strokes for different folks. If MIDI sound works for you, then use it. I did for many years, and would again if I had to. I would do that before going through all the headaches of putting together and managing a band, again. Anything that works is a good thing.

Rock on!

quote:
Originally posted by OneManBand:
quote:
Originally posted by Joel Clyde:
Waaaayyyy better sound. Virtual Instruments are not MIDI (although they follow MIDI information). My tracks all sound like real instruments, and at 32 bits at 48 khz, the depth and detail of the music (especially through the L-1) is astounding.

That is what I was asking. Why not leave your files as midi and play the virtual instrument that you are using anyway to record to WAV? This way, you can change tempo and transpose on the fly because you are just playing the midi file. You are not getting any "better" sound by converting them to wav first. And there is no need for an additional sound module as the laptop's virtual instrument are your sound module.
banditt
Member
  • 0
  • 35
  • 0
Registered since

May 13, 2006

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

I have tried the vst sounds. Takes a really powerful laptop to run it. very power hungry. But man they sound sweet. I use the Showplay program and it does great for just running MIDI and mp3's within it.Been using it for just about 6 years now and never had a hickup on stage. Most people say, better have a backup laptop. But I never have. I live on the edge har-har. Besides that program runs all my lyrics like a teleprompter. To many songs, to short a memory for all of them Wink Playing with a buddy who has the latest Bose system for the 4th. I am really getting close to getting the basic 2 sub system. Can't beat that sound plus the quick load out.
joelclyde
Member
  • 0
  • 42
  • 0
Registered since

Sep 15, 2009

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

Another reason why I burn the tracks to wavs is so I can use them in play lists in Windows Media Player, Real Player, and especially in Digital Fake Book (an absolutely killer freeware program that lets you create playlists, and save lyrics with the song). Then I can use the player features, such as Cross-Fading, Track Normalization (where each track plays back at the same volume), and more. It also makes it easier to post to my Podcasts, and even YouTube. You can't do any of that with just MIDI.
tightropetom
Contributor
  • 2
  • 57
  • 0
Registered since

Oct 27, 2007

Re: Backing Tracks for Solo Performing ?

I don't know if we can advertise websites or not here but I have found licklibrary good for full rock tracks and Song Galaxy's website brilliant for multitracks and MIDI files. The latter has a software package that extracts all the individual tracks so you can choose to remove bits you don't like