Geoff Stephens
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Backing Tracks from iPad to T1

Hi folks

I am wondering if anybody can shed some light on backing tracks for live playing.

I use an iPad from which I go out of the headphone socket using a splitter cable, mini stereo jack to left/right mono jacks, and these are going into channel 4/5 of my T1.

During most gigs I have to manually adjust the volume of some tracks as some are louder and fuller than others.

Of course I appreciate this will be due to the quality of particular tracks, some being better than others, but some seem to have audio missing when amplified.

This would indicate a possible stereo-mono issue.

I always thought that using a splitter as I've described and running direct into the T1 automatically converted audio to mono?

Have I got this all wrong?

I have the facility with my Reaper DAW to convert tracks to mono for live playing, it's a relatively simple process but it would be a painstaking task, especially with around 400 tracks to convert!

Alternatively I could invest in one of those bespoke Radial DI units which I understand sums a stereo track to mono.

I just need to weigh up the pros and cons of whether to lay out the 300 bucks for a Radial or spend a week or two converting the tracks in my DAW or even if any of that is necessary. Maybe I'm already running it correctly and just need to perhaps replace the inferior tracks with more pro quality ones.

As always any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

25 REPLIES 25
ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Backing Tracks from iPad to T1

There are "free" batch programs that can convert from stereo to mono all in one pass.

There MAY be a program that would allow you to also normalize all of those tracks at the same time as its converting them to mono but I'm not aware of one at the moment.

Maybe someone else may know.  I'd could use a program like that too...

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Geoff,

Geoff posted:

Hi folks

I am wondering if anybody can shed some light on backing tracks for live playing.

I use an iPad from which I go out of the headphone socket using a splitter cable, mini stereo jack to left/right mono jacks, and these are going into channel 4/5 of my T1.

This is exactly how the T1® channels 4/5 were engineered to work.

During most gigs I have to manually adjust the volume of some tracks as some are louder and fuller than others.

Of course I appreciate this will be due to the quality of particular tracks, some being better than others, but some seem to have audio missing when amplified. This would indicate a possible stereo-mono issue.

Maybe - do you have the output on the iPad set to mono?

I always thought that using a splitter as I've described and running direct into the T1 automatically converted audio to mono?

Have I got this all wrong?

The T1® channel 4/5 sums those two inputs to mono before any further processing happens. I doubt that getting another device to do the same thing would help.

I have the facility with my Reaper DAW to convert tracks to mono for live playing, it's a relatively simple process but it would be a painstaking task, especially with around 400 tracks to convert!

You could run the tracks through your DAW. You might benefit by compressing/limiting them so you had a more uniform output level across your library.  I think there are plug-ins to do that kind of thing. Again, I don't expect a big benefit or mixing down to mono. And if you should ever want to run stereo, you might regret having done it.

Alternatively I could invest in one of those bespoke Radial DI units which I understand sums a stereo track to mono.

I doubt this would make a difference.

I just need to weigh up the pros and cons of whether to lay out the 300 bucks for a Radial or spend a week or two converting the tracks in my DAW or even if any of that is necessary. Maybe I'm already running it correctly and just need to perhaps replace the inferior tracks with more pro quality ones.

I'd start there.

As always any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Does that help?

ST 

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I did a search on "batch normalize mp3" and got a list of possible candidates.

Yamahaha
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 13, 2015

I've been using a Whirlwind Pod DI for years. It's less than $80 and will sum your stereo iPad signal to mono with an XLR output. One and done!

Whirlwind PodDI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007...cp_apa_9qxnBbFFKW4ZQ

Louis
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

Wow!  It sounds like you are doing the same thing that I am.  I tend to play with the volume on my iPad a little for the difference in songs' volumes sometimes.  I thing that I DO prefer to wires from the iPad is a small Bluetooth receiver lithium battery powered (I got the UGREEN on Amazon for under $30 and it works GREAT) placed next to the  T1 and plugged into the T1 4 & 5 inputs.  NO MORE WIRES from the iPad to the T1.  Hope this helps.

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Here are some examples of Bluetooth receivers off of US Amazon just for reference all under $30 US. While I’m not sure if the fidelity of the sound would be adversely impacted via Bluetooth, but having the iPad wirelessly connected would seem to be very handy. It would connect into the T1 the same way as you’re doing now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Mike_A_
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2018

you may also want to look at improving the tracks. There are dozens of sources for tracks, but Adobe Audition (pay) and Audacity (free) have really nice programs to change all kinds of things on tracks to make them sound better. I mainly use them to change keys, take out noise, change volume, etc. Then you export the altered track to wherever you need. these are both great tools. Hope this helps

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I've used Audacity:

https://www.audacityteam.org/

for many uses, to include college assignments (I'm a senior citizen that's retired and still work and perform, but never stop learning.). Like @Mike A. stated, it will aid you in improving all your tracks. In addition, it's great recording software, with tons of shared plugins.

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

This doesn't look too hard.

Using "Chains" to automate a process applied to a list of audio files by Audacity:

https://manual.audacityteam.or...ects_automation.html

There's an example of a "chain" called Loud MP3 that looks pretty close to what you need to normalize all of your files and write them out again.

If you haven't installed Audacity yet don't forget to also install the Lame mp3 codec and place the .DLL where Audacity can find it.

Good luck...