Basic S1 Set Up
I’ve been looking for a portable battery powered PA for small intimate gigs. I’ve been looking specifically at the Roland Street Cube EX. Now that we have the Bose S1 Pro thrown into the mix. I have a few questions.
I’ve read many reviews on the S1. Seems a lot of folks are going through other amps, mixers and pedals before going to the S1. The use of these external devices add color to your final output, the speaker (S1 in this case). Also, most of these external devices need external power, defeating the need for a battery powered speaker. If you need to plug in a mixer and/or external amp into the wall, why not just plug the S1 into the wall also?
I’m looking for a review from anyone who has used the S1, with the battery, with just a guitar and mic. The only thing I would add up front, and would like your input on also, would be the Bose VE-8 harmonizing pedal.
I’ll have two possible set ups for the S1:
Set up 1: Plug my Ovation 1776 elite and a Sure SM 58 (No phantom power, what!) into the S1 using the battery for power.
Set up 2: Plug either my Ovation 1776 elite or Fender Telecaster Deluxe, and an Audio Technica Hand Held Condenser mic into the Boss VE-8 harmonizing pedal. Output 1 into channel 1 on the S1 and output 2 into an OD pedal (if using the electric) into channel 2 on the S1. S1 using battery power.
I currently use the above set up's using a Fishman Solo Amp 220. The Fishman has been good for gigs up to about 300 people. Although the Fishman weighs only 25 pounds, I'm looking at either the Street EX or S1 for gigs up to 50 people and battery power.
With the exception of a harmonizer, I basically just want to use the S1 running on battery. I understand asking how something sounds is subjective to that person’s ear and the environment you’re performing in.
Here are my questions:
1) How does the S1 sound on its own using the battery?
2) How does it sound using a battery powered harmonizing pedal like the Bose VE-8?
3) Mounting on a stand about five feet off the ground, how well does the sound carry?
4) What size crowd can it handle outside? Inside?
5) Has anyone compared the S1 to the Street Cube EX? How does it compare?
6) Can an electric guitar be used? If so, how does the electric guitar sound clean? How does the electric guitar sound with an over drive pedal?
7) Because the S1 doesn’t have a master volume (how does one make a PA without a master volume?), how can you raise or lower the overall volume without re-mixing? Is that why so many people are using external mixers?
Thanks for your input
PS I'll be streaming backing tracks via blue tooth about 80% of the time.