Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Battery temperature question?

On occasion I do some outdoor shows that can get quite chilly. How cold can the temperature be and with the S1 Pro still operating normally when using the battery for powering the unit? 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Battery temperature question?

Hi JD,

Thanks for the interesting question.

Please note the following information from the S1 Pro Battery Pack Owner’s Guide:

• Charging temperature range: 0°C - 42°C (32°F - 108°F)
  • Discharging temperature range: -20°C - 45°C (-4°F - 113°F)

You can operate the S1 Pro on the battery pack down to -20°C (-4°F), The running time may be reduced when operating in the cold. This will vary with the temperature and how you are using the S1 Pro.

Edit: New information 2018/02/23

NOTE

The battery does not charge temperatures below 0°C (32°F).

The battery will stop charging when the temperature is below 0°C - 42°C (32°F - 108°F) but the charging light may continue to flash.

The battery will stop functioning below -20°C - 45°C (-4°F - 113°F)

NOTE: DO NOT charge the S1 Pro battery at temperatures below 0°C (32°F).  Since the battery is charging at all times when the S1 Pro is connected to AC power, DO NOT connect the S1 Pro with the battery installed to AC Power when the temperature is below freezing.

Put another way: Please remove the battery from the S1 Pro if you are going to connect it to AC Power at temperatures below freezing.  0°C (32°F).

When you get a chance to try the S1 Pros in the cold, please tell us about the battery life you get.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Sounds good, will do! 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi JD,

I got some new information about how the battery operates in the cold. I've edited my original post above. Here is the new information all in one place.

Temperature Considerations

Please note the following information from the S1 Pro Battery Pack Owner’s Guide:

• Charging temperature range: 0°C - 42°C (32°F - 108°F)
  • Discharging temperature range: -20°C - 45°C (-4°F - 113°F)

You can operate the S1 Pro on the battery pack down to -20°C (-4°F), The running time may be reduced but not significantly.

NOTE
The battery does not charge temperatures below 0°C (32°F).

The battery will stop charging when the temperature is below 0°C - 42°C (32°F - 108°F) but the charging light may continue to flash.

The battery will stop functioning below -20°C - 45°C (-4°F - 113°F)

Source: Temperature Considerations

You don't have to remove the battery when it's cold. The battery will take care of itself.  But don't get caught by surprise if it's really cold - the battery will shut off.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Great info!!! Thanks, ST