leedean
Registered since

Aug 26, 2010

Best software for playing backing tracks

I've finally decided to relegate my faithful mini disc player to second place and join the 21st century and bung all my backing tracks on a laptop.

Now...my question is this - what's the best software to play them d'you reckon?

I've got all my tracks (about 600) in a folder on the desktop, but when I click one to play, Winamp seems a bit clumsy (and slow). When the track is finished I have to close Winamp and let it re-open when I select the next track.
Pain in the bum eh?

I'm probably missing something very simple and obvious - well, it is late at night here - o if anyone has some info I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks ever so
26 REPLIES 26
Andy-at-Bose_UK
Registered since

Jun 20, 2006

Re: Best software for playing backing tracks

Hi Lee,

'Greetings from the cold and damp UK!'

There are many ways to achieve this some inexpensive and some slightly less so Smile!

I use Traktor Duo for this purpose and the latest version of this can be found here:

http://www.native-instruments....ts/dj/traktor-duo-2/

I have used it for about 18 months and it's been rock solid. Although the Traktor range is primarily aimed at the DJ world, your needs are essentially the same.

Say 'hi' to Carol for me!

All the best,

Andy
leedean
Registered since

Aug 26, 2010

Cold & damp, Eh? Tee hee-------- going for a swim in a minute! Actually, that's a lie, it's freezing here, the temperature's down to 22º today, so it's on with the sweater and socks.

Thanks for the info Andy, I'll have a shufty at that.

Oh, I've now decided to buy a Tonematch to go with my L1, so that's gonna be fun for an old geezer like me to work out. S'alright for you technocrats!

I looked at your band websites a while ago . you are a real rocker these days ain't you?
Bit different from "Leap in the Dark". Has Toby sobered up yet?

I was at a local bar a few months ago and got slightly tipsy and was conned into singing - if you dare to look at the video the owner did, it's at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...BiaAko&feature=share

Go on, I dare you!!

Right, must go, I've got a gig .....in December!

Oh Carol says "Wello" - are you still an old married geezer as well?

Lee
randycreel
Registered since

Aug 7, 2011

quote:
I've got all my tracks (about 600) in a folder on the desktop, but when I click one to play, Winamp seems a bit clumsy (and slow). When the track is finished I have to close Winamp and let it re-open when I select the next track.

You shouldn't and shouldn't have to close Winamp...just go and double click on the next track you want to play, but better than that, under the view tab in Winamp click (put a check mark next to) "Media Library" and "Playlist Editor" you will now have 3 windows open for Winamp (the player, the media library and the playlist editor)In the media libray select add media to library and point Winamp to the folder containing your songs and from there you can just drag and drop the ones you want to the playlist window and create a playlist for yourself.
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

Hi Lee, btw, our names are kinda close. I've been doing a midi act since '94 and (IMHO) the hands down best software for playing backing tracks is Showplay.

I used it for more than 10 years and I use MIDI, Mp3, wav, and CDG if I want. You have full control over all your tracks. with midi you can in real time, change tempo and key and all parameter's of each instrument.

Mp3 and Wav, you can change tempo and key. Can control external devices like lights and harmonisers.
Automatically scrolls lyric's and most sync perfectly. Changing keys changes the guitar chords to the new key.

The only other piece of gear that changed my act as much was my Bose. And you can buy a trial copy that good for like 15 hours.

Leo (Dean)
leedean
Registered since

Aug 26, 2010

Thanks for the infpo and tips guys - I'll put on my thinking head and get to it.

I started when backing tracks weren't heard of and I used to do 3 hours with just me, my old 12 string guitar and an H&H MA100 amp with a couple of Vox column speakers. There were no FX,EQ,Midi,MP3 or other such acronyms that I don't understand.

Blimey, times haven't half moved on since then!

I'm also beginning to realise that the signs of old age are not just the amount of technology around, but the inability to finish what yo........................
leedean
Registered since

Aug 26, 2010

Hey Leo - that's a bit spooky, our names being so similar .....I'm not your Pa or anything am I ??? Smile

I had a look at that Showplay - that's an awesome bit of software - I can see why you use it. Mind you, a bit pricey at 250 dollars, but O.K. if you're gigging regularly (which I'm not - there's so little work around here), but well worth considering. Thanks for putting me onto it.

Keep up the good work

Lee
thegigmeister
Registered since

Aug 24, 2011

Why drag a laptop on a gig? if you can remember the words to a song, just use an iPod or similar small player to use as a playback device. I've done so for many years. It sounds great, is lightweight and doesn't immediately announce to the audience, "hey, I'm using backing tracks."
leedean
Registered since

Aug 26, 2010

Hay Gigmeister, I take your point. Words are no problem - there's nothing wrong with my memory, but it's not the same for my eyesight!
I can remember the words to all my songs (nearly 600), but my poor old eyes are a bit past their sell-by date. I can't see the songlist on a small iPod, that's why I need a bigger screen to be able to read it. (I'm not at the stage where I need a Labrador, but I do need a biggish screen!

Audiences nowadays are used to us lot using backing tracks and you don't really have to announce the fact to them, as the lack of a 15 piece orchestra and a team of backing vocalists who can be heard but not seen are rather conspicuous by their absence, don't you think?

Anyway, I appreciate your input,but I've still got to drag either the laptop or my minidisc player with 20 odd discs around with me, so it's looking like it's going to be the lesser of two evils.

Regards

Lee
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

Hi Lee, yes we're pretty close on namesSmile I have a friend on Facebook named Dean Leo and we call each other "backwards man".
You're right about Showplay, it's a tad pricey if you're not working a lot. I'm full time and so I need every edge I can get, But I used something for many years before I started using SP full time, it's free and works great, I used it for hundreds of gigs. VanBasco

It's just for MIDI files but it displays and scrolls lyrics and you can control pitch and tempo and mute instruments you don't want to play. If the tracks didn't have lyrics I used Cakewalk to add them.
I also used a Yamaha softsynth for my sound engine. It can be found on the net somewhere or I can get you a copy.

If you decide to use Vanbasco I can give you some setup tips to make it easier for you.

Best of luck --Leo