Adam2
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

Bluetooth Connection from Random Strangers (Hijacking Prevention)

Is there a way to stop outsiders in the audience from connecting to your S1 Pro system and playing music or anything they like through your discoverable bluetooth S1 Pro's?

I had this happen to me tonight at a gig in a major club who contracts us to perform there and luckily it was a friend who made us aware of this flaw in the Bluetooth speakers (it really cheesed of the staff and our other clients, and it caused me to go into a panic, as these are very new speakers to me and I'm just learning them, overall a very bad experience for all).

I thought to myself "SURELY" there has to be a way to prevent anyone scanning and finding these speakers via Bluetooth, like a code for them to access them or something?

Any wisdom from anyone here would be muchly appreciated.

24 REPLIES 24
Michael M
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Re: Bluetooth Connection from Random Strangers (Hijacking Prevention)

You can plug a 3.5mm (1/8") cable into the AUX input and it will override any device paired via Bluetooth. I confirmed this in the manual on P. 9: "Note: Anything connected via the AUX input will automatically override any device paired via Bluetooth connectivity."

Yendor
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

I believe the most recent firmware changes BT connection procedure that now mandates actually pushing the BT button to pair/connect?
Correct me if I'm wrong ST?

Sam_Spoons
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Are you playing music through them yourself? If so then as long as your device doesn't drop the connection nothing else can connect. If you are not then just turn the BT/aux volume to zero.

Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

@ST is there another Bose website that describes the contents of a S1 firmware release in more detail like a formal release notes? The Notes column on the site mentioned above is very high level. For example, exactly what is the new security feature(s) in the BT connection?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Yendor.

Yendor posted:

I believe the most recent firmware changes BT connection procedure that now mandates actually pushing the BT button to pair/connect?
Correct me if I'm wrong ST?

You have to press the Bluetooth button to put S1 Pro into pairing mode the first time you pair a device. After that...

You don't have to push the Bluetooth button to pair/connect if you have already paired the S1 Pro to a device.  When you turn the S1 Pro on, if there are paired devices in the Bluetooth device list, the S1 Pro will try to reconnect to the last device to which it was connected. If that fails and no connection is made, the S1 Pro becomes available for pairing (without you having pressed the Bluetooth button).

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Adam2
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I think where this guy got in, was I connect the first speaker (in a line array of 3 Bose S1's) via Bluetooth, then I connect the other 2 via a cable from Aux out to Mic In to connect them.

To override the other 2 connections I just disconnect the Bluetooth and run them from the first speaker (that is connected via Bluetooth) and then Aux them through to the other 2 speakers.

So you're staying that by turning down the "BT/Aux" volume to zero that will stop someone hijacking the other 2 speakers that are still open to be discovered on their devices?

I purchased these at the end of January and 2 more only late Feb, would the latest updates be in them already for Jan 2020?

Sam_Spoons
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

It will if you turn the aux/BT volume to zero on them as well. If the 'audience' has access to them then nothing you can do will prevent somebody persistent enough from hacking the system.