cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaste_embrace
Registered since

May 12, 2010

Bluetooth Volume on the S1 Pro

First gig today using one S1 Pro on speaker stand, Audix OM6 microphone, and bluetooth from iPhone sending set at full volume for backing tracks.  Street setting busking outdoors on a low stage facing an endless wide courtyard with trees between shops, and facing out to the ocean.

Totally impressed with S1 Pro, as it did the job it was supposed to do easily.  Had the Volume for the microphone at 5 o'clock full.  Backed it off to 4 o'clock for stronger vocal songs, which is what I always do anyway at gigs.

This allowed me to adjust the music to balance with my vocals, and I quickly found a good mix, with plenty of volume.  I feel the S1 Pro is doing exactly what it is supposed to, and it was so easy to use, and I was getting such a good sound that I was able to relax, and focus on my performance.

I also think an OM6 needs more gain than a SM58, so I feel the S1 Pro is set up for the Audix OM6 perfectly.  In effect, I kept the music level down so the vocals were clear.  I also didn't notice any red light on the microphone channel.

What I would like to know is, that with bluetooth being just data transfer, that it doesn't drain extra battery from the iPhone being set at full volume.  Does the S1 Pro do the work to change volume as dictated by the source?  Unlike an iPod classic for example, where more volume drains more iPod battery with higher output line signal.

6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Bluetooth Volume on the S1 Pro

Hi chaste,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

Congratulations on your first gig with the S1 Pro system.

chaste embrace posted:

First gig today using one S1 Pro on speaker stand, Audix OM6 microphone, and bluetooth from iPhone sending set at full volume for backing tracks.  Street setting busking outdoors on a low stage facing an endless wide courtyard with trees between shops, and facing out to the ocean.

Totally impressed with S1 Pro, as it did the job it was supposed to do easily.  Had the Volume for the microphone at 5 o'clock full.  Backed it off to 4 o'clock for stronger vocal songs, which is what I always do anyway at gigs.

This allowed me to adjust the music to balance with my vocals, and I quickly found a good mix, with plenty of volume.  I feel the S1 Pro is doing exactly what it is supposed to, and it was so easy to use, and I was getting such a good sound that I was able to relax, and focus on my performance.

I also think an OM6 needs more gain than a SM58, so I feel the S1 Pro is set up for the Audix OM6 perfectly.  In effect, I kept the music level down so the vocals were clear.  I also didn't notice any red light on the microphone channel.

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience with the S1 Pro system and the Audix OM6 microphone.

What I would like to know is, that with bluetooth being just data transfer, that it doesn't drain extra battery from the iPhone being set at full volume.  Does the S1 Pro do the work to change volume as dictated by the source?  Unlike an iPod classic for example, where more volume drains more iPod battery with higher output line signal.

The S1 Pro does not control the Bluetooth source.

If you set the volume on the iPhone to 50%, that value remains unchanged  as you change the S1 Pro channel three volume. 

If the volume on the iPhone is 0, turning the S1 Pro channel three volume control does not do anything.

Does that help?
ST

chaste_embrace
Registered since

May 12, 2010

It’s great that the S1 Pro does not control the Bluetooth source.  I was looking for a more technical answer to establish that the data transfer from the source communicating to the S1 Pro is just some data transfer and doesn’t constantly drain any extra battery from the source with a higher volume value of the source.

What I’m thinking is, that Bluetooth source volume is just a value, and that the S1 Pro adjusts within the unit itself on channel 3.  So the S1 Pro receives the Bluetooth music data and acts as a pre-gain depending on the volume value set by the source.

The way I see it:

Firstly, S1 Pro powered on, power amps are running at full volume.

Secondly, set Bluetooth source pre-gain value, channel 3.

Thirdly, trim the S1 Pro volume dial knob (digital gain), channel 3.

In that case, it is advisable to set the Bluetooth source output to maximum rather than at 50%.  Source being iPhone.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi chaste,

chaste embrace posted:

It’s great that the S1 Pro does not control the Bluetooth source.  I was looking for a more technical answer to establish that the data transfer from the source communicating to the S1 Pro is just some data transfer and doesn’t constantly drain any extra battery from the source with a higher volume value of the source.

You'd need to find a reference from Apple to confirm this. I couldn't find one. However your premise makes sense to me. Maybe you can use an iOS app to monitor your battery usage in real-time as you change the volume on the iPhone.

chaste embrace posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

In that case, it is advisable to set the Bluetooth source output to maximum rather than at 50%.  Source being iPhone.

I chose an arbitrary value - 50% in my example repeated below.

ST posted:

If you set the volume on the iPhone to 50%, that value remains unchanged  as you change the S1 Pro channel three volume. 

If the volume on the iPhone is 0, turning the S1 Pro channel three volume control does not do anything.

Does that help?
ST

I chose that as a starting point for experimentation for you (and others reading along).

I can see why you'd advise

chaste embrace posted:

? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? -

and that will give you the most control is you are using only the S1 Pro Aux Volume control (not the iPhone), in real-time.

Imagine you've set everything up with the iPhone volume at some value below 100% (say 75%). This would give you the option to turn up the volume later (as the room noise goes up) from the iPhone without having to touch the S1 Pro. That might fit a user's expectation to select tracks, play, pause, stop, and change the volume downand up, from the iPhone.

ST

chaste_embrace
Registered since

May 12, 2010

All good feedback, and has made me think.  I'll be looking at doing a quieter show to test out some settings. 

Here’s what I found out;

iPhone Bluetooth vs Analog:

• Apparently Bluetooth drains more battery because of the transmission type.
  • Idle Bluetooth not connected, you can always leave on because the battery drain is so tiny.
  • Bluetooth has no cables and can work within 10m.
  • Bluetooth has inferior sound quality due to compression loss.

The iPhone volume control:

• By design the iPhone output is for headphones.
  • Changing volume with the slider is not easy to fine tune. When standing and singing into a microphone at the same time, I can’t do it.
  • Changing volume with button increments has 16 on positions, and 1 off position I will call 0.  Position 1 (On) = 7%, position 8 = 50%, and position 16 = 100%. It increments in steps of 6 or 7%.
  • Note that an iMac can increment in 64 steps by pressing option/shift/volume.
  • Incremental adjustments can also be made using onscreen accessibility. Go to Settings>General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch>Toggle to ON. An icon appears onscreen and can be dragged to the four corners of the screen. Touch the icon>Device>Touch volume up or volume down in increments.

S1 Pro with iPhone using Bluetooth;

• With S1 Pro channel 3 volume set to maximum 5 o’clock, it is possible to induce red light clipping from the iPhone source.  So in that situation, finding the volume level before clipping, before the gig, and adjusting the iPhone volume incrementally, means you could turn the S1 Pro channel 3 to maximum without clipping, as long as the iPhone is set correctly.
  • I gigged with my iPhone set at 100% volume, and the maximum volume dialled on the S1 Pro channel 3 went to 12 o’clock notched.  Note that my music is all equalised down to 50%.
  • Another way to consider, is to adjust the settings so that at maximum volumes for the gig, the S1 Pro is notched at 12 o’clock on channel 3.
  • The S1 Pro can’t fade in or out music because it increments volume.  Even the iPhone slider has a slight increment between volume on and off.
  • I found a volume control App called, "My Volume".  I set it up to touch screen with 4% increments.  Customised the display using emoji's.  Will test it out at next gig.  See screen shots.

In summary;

I will try setting my iPhone to around a volume of 50 - 75%, and work toward an S1 Pro volume notched at 12 o’clock.  I think it just shows how well thought out the S1 Pro is.  It feels closer to using my L1 II system with T1 ToneMatch.

Missing S1 Pro features:

• Built in tone match for Audix OM6 microphone.
  • Battery charging level while charging.  How do you charge 20% - 80%, and cycle 1% - 100%?  Or is that not advisable?  I suppose you could time your charges.
  • The Bose Connect app doesn’t show battery level when charging.
  • A protective flip cover for the power switch.
  • Bose Connect App with Volume control that is the best for iPhone and gigging.
chaste_embrace
Registered since

May 12, 2010

I see the Bose Connect App has a player.  Similar volume slider to the iPhone and many other Apps.  How about some big plus + minus - buttons, and a big volume level showing %.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi chaste embrace,

Thanks for doing all that research.

Please consider posting your Missing S1 Pro features in this discussion thread.  

S1 Pro system: Feature Requests

and your Bose Connect app suggestions in

Bose Connect App Feature Requests

Thank you!

ST