Stoney007
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Bluetooth "On/Off"

Does anyone know how to turn off the Bluetooth function on the S1?  It seems to turn on at will and I get notification sounds through the speaker while on the gig. (annoying).Turning the volume down is sidestepping the problem but it does work.  However, I would like it to be "off".  Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Bluetooth "On/Off"

Hi Stoney,

Stoney posted:

Does anyone know how to turn off the Bluetooth function on the S1? 

? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

I would like it to be "off".  Thanks!

The Bluetooth is always on.

Stoney posted:

Does anyone know how to turn off the Bluetooth function on the S1?  It seems to turn on at will and I get notification sounds through the speaker while on the gig.(annoying).

You can turn off notifications via Bluetooth on some phones and tablets.

Turning the volume down is sidestepping the problem but it does work. 

That's the most convenient way to prevent hearing Bluetooth messages through the S1 Pro.

You can also suppress Bluetooth output by putting a 1/8" plug into the Aux input. But you will still want to turn down the volume on channel 3 so you don't pick up any stray RF noise from the cable.

I'm sorry, there's no way to completely disable Bluetooth on the S1 Pro.

ST

Ric1
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

@Stoney , your audience members are attempting to connect their own media to your Bose S1 via Bluetooth. As @ST suggested, put a 1/8" plug into Channel 3 on your Bose S1 Pro to eliminate audience intrusion.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again, Stoney,

I forgot to mention this.

If you don't want people connecting to your S1 Pro, use the Bose Connect app and rename it something really obscure and boring. "Bose S1 Pro" is too obvious and tempting.

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Ric,

Ric posted:

@Stoney , your audience members are attempting to connect their own media to your Bose S1 via Bluetooth. As @ST suggested, put a 1/8" plug into Channel 3 on your Bose S1 Pro to eliminate audience intrusion.

Putting a plug into the 1/8" Aux input does not disable Bluetooth. It just suppresses the audible output of Bluetooth audio, giving precedence to the signal at the Aux input.

ST

Stoney007
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Thank you all for your valuable replies. So, how does one re-name the S1 so it will not show up on other's devices as "Bose S1"?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Stoney,

Stoney posted:

Thank you all for your valuable replies. So, how does one re-name the S1 so it will not show up on other's devices as "Bose S1"?

Use the Bose Connect app.

When you have the Bose Connect app connected to the S1 Pro, tap the gear icongear icon (Settings) near the top right of the screen.

Tap Name and you can Nickname it

Follow the prompts on the screen.

That's it.

ST

Stoney007
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2019

Thank you!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Everybody,

Edit: Correction

If the S1 Pro has been paired to a device, but subsequently connect to that device, the S1 Pro will become discoverable (Bluetooth light blinks).

Firmware version 7.1.5  addresses this issue (audience members can't pair to your S1 Pro).

Now, you must turn on Bluetooth pairing mode by pressing the Bluetooth button for five seconds (Bluetooth light will blink), or by using the Bose Connect app (Connections, Connect New).

The S1 Pro will not be available to be paired unless you put it in pairing mode.

For more information see: S1 Pro System Updates

ST

KingBiscuit
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

ST posted:

Hi Everybody,

Firmware version 7.1.5  addresses this issue (audience members can't pair to your S1 Pro).

Now, you must turn on Bluetooth pairing mode by pressing the Bluetooth button for five seconds (Bluetooth light will blink), or by using the Bose Connect app (Connections, Connect New).

The S1 Pro will not be available to be paired unless you put it in pairing mode.

For more information see: S1 Pro System Updates

ST

After installing the new firmware, I was doing a lot of connectivity testing yesterday.  It appears to me, that if your S1 Pro was paired/connected when you turned it off, when you turn it back on, it automatically goes into pairing mode. 

I had mine paired to my Android tablet last night.  So, this morning, I turned them on and once the "battery check sequence" was complete, the BlueTooth pairing light started flashing.

I pressed the BlueTooth button for 10 seconds to clear the devices and rebooted the S1 Pro.  This time, the BlueTooth Pairing light did not come on when the unit was back on line.

I videoed the process, check it out and see what you think.  I tried leaving the S1 Pro turned off longer than in the video and the result was the same.  I just shortened the time between turning the unit off/back on to cut the size of the video.

https://youtu.be/DAsPlutl0Nw

Is this working as designed?  I would think that no matter the state of the BlueTooth connection when you turned the unit off, you'd want BlueTooth disabled when you start it back up.

Dan