Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 22, 2018

Bose Compact L1

I have a pair of these which I put our band through, Kick drum, snare,bass, guitar ,keyboards and 3 vocal. It works fine but I was wondering if I took the possible stress out of it by diverting bass and kick from Aux outs to a sub woofer or similar so only higher frequencies going through the L1's. I had considered adding a sub with cross over but every advice seems to be don't

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 30, 2019

Re: Bose Compact L1

When you say that you have "a pair of these", what exactly are the components of your Bose system?  Do you have B1 or B2 subs?  The Bose system has a built in crossover that runs bass through the sub units and the rest of the frequencies through the towers.  In addition the B2 subs have a 3 position rocker switch that can increase and decrease bass volume depending on need. There would be little practical usefulness in adding an additional subwoofer unless you are doing rave concerts.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 22, 2018

Hi, I actually have 2 x Bose L1 Compacts which is a different situation. Your view would be appreciated in that context thanks

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 30, 2019

Got it. An externally driven sub would increase your output.  Auxiliary out to a self powered sub is workable. what do you use as a mixer?

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 22, 2018

I've got the choice of Studiomaster 12 analogue, 32 Behringer and 16 Presonus

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

I run my L1 Compacts with subs all the time, for both dj and live music applications, sounds great. I use 12" subs.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Stephen

Stephen posted:

I have a pair of these which I put our band through, Kick drum, snare,bass, guitar ,keyboards and 3 vocal. It works fine but I was wondering if I took the possible stress out of it by diverting bass and kick from Aux outs to a sub woofer or similar so only higher frequencies going through the L1's.

Sure, that should work.

I had considered adding a sub with cross over but every advice seems to be don't

There's nothing wrong with adding a sub with a crossover. Ideally, you'll run the signal path

1. Mixer to subwoofer
  2. Subwoofer - high pass signal to L1 Compacts

That way you are not sending the low frequencies to the L1 Compacts.

ST