cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelreilly
Registered since

Jan 11, 2010

Bose Compact with the EV ZXA-1 SUB

Was wondering if the new EV ZXA-1 SUB would be a good sub match for the Bose Compact. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
32 REPLIES 32
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Re: Bose Compact with the EV ZXA-1 SUB

Not a fan of mixing brands. I'd say get an L1 w/ 2 B1's if you need more horse power. I think in the long run you would be a way happier camper.
michaelreilly
Registered since

Jan 11, 2010

I hear ya. I have 2 L1's and 4 B1's. Just was thinking that would be a match for the compacts adding an additional sub.
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

No reason why it shouldn't. It has a 100hz fixed cross-over and a volume control. A 1/4" male phono (Compact output) to XLR male (ZXA-1 sub input) cable, and you're off and running.
scottiemack
Registered since

Jun 25, 2007

I'm with Cap.....You want that extra thump without adding a packlite and extra B-1's, then the EV should fit nicely. I'm actually looking at that very thing.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Wow, you guys! I am disappointed in my fellow Bose L1 users. So many of you are always wanting more bass even though Bose has done a great job with the entire L1 line when is come to the low end. When it comes down to it I think some of you are just board & need more toys to tinker with. Why not just buy more lights & leave your perfect L1 sound alone or use more B1's when needed.

I'm JD Bass... I use to pump a minimum of 1600 watts RMS of low end at my shows... & now after 3 years+ of L1 use I would never consider going back the other direction.. not even a little bit. I am a proud L1 user & will remain so.

This post may anger some, but honestly I'm just getting tired of seeing so many people take the L1's for granted when they are so amazing!
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

JDbassentertainment: No one is happier that you are thrilled with the overall response of the barefoot L1 systems than those of us who agree with you.

Being one person who wars in the daily trenches, elbow to elbow, with hundreds of Bose haters, border line potential Bose buyers, and/or Bose owners who want just a little more "kick", allow me to suggest there are a significant number more of them then there are of us.

Neither sides are wrong, neither sides are deserved of criticism, and frankly the volume of member's postings here on this very forum who seek suggestions about wanting more "kick" deserves some future product Bose engineering attention then just being ignored.

If Bose were to develop a compact lightweight 15" 1500watt 132db spl 100hz - 38hz adjunct sub to augment the L1-B1 combo, would your disappointment remain the same?

Again, I use an extra powered sub only twice a year, and both are for 500 to 900 headcounts in huge rooms. The other 50 - 60 annual gigs are straightforward 2 L1 - 4 B1 performances because it's all that's needed.

See? We're not heretics!
michaelreilly
Registered since

Jan 11, 2010

My original post was an inquiry as to wether the EV Sub would pair with the Bose Compacts. Kind of like the sub that Cap demoed in another thread which btw sounded great. I didn't mean to stir the pot, just looking to get some input on adding some low end to the Compact. Not the L1 M1, which I do have and love. Thanks.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
EV ZXA-1 SUB

It seems to me that the whole idea of the L1 Compact sound system is to provide a small, compact (thus the name), lightweight, easily-handled, dynamic sound solution for smaller audiences for up to 100 to 150 people.

The WEIGHT of the L1 Compact is under 30 pounds, completely assembled. The EV ZXA-1 SUB weighs 46 pounds. No single element of the full-sized L1 units weighs that much.

While this might be a piece of equipment that WORKS with the L1 Compact, it certainly seems like a huge PAIN in the back to have to load it in and out.

The whole reason I bought the L1 Compact systems (I have two of them plus an L1 Model II with two B1 units) was because they are light and easily transportable. Adding the EV suggested here makes it NOT light and NOT easily transported.

As far as *I* am concerned, it would be one thing for Bose to create an enhancing subwoofer for the L1 Compact that weighs 18 pounds, but it's another whole beast of burden to add a 46-pound behemoth to a lightweight system.

Just my two cents' worth here, guys.
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

I'm with you 100% Media.