Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cap
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 29, 2004

Bose L1 Bashers On The Public Forums - My Take On It All

Hoping this Bose forum is somewhat of a safe haven to vent, nay...rant, about all the public forum brouhaha concerning Bose bass response, especially concerning the B1s, I'm gonna do this here hoping some of my observations and experiences are shared by other L1 owners.

What seems like an almost daily scenario somewhere:

A person posts about the purported lack of bass response from Bose, the scientific physical impossibility for them to ever do so, that Bose skillfully markets effective bass even though it does not exist, that those who purchase the L1 system have been drugged, duped, and mesmerized by the logo, or are just plain stupid human beings, but (here comes the kicker) get very angry and defensive when someone challenges them to further define their personal experiences and technical credentials to make such claims. Not so ironically, many outspoken moderators/owners of the various public DJ forums share in the Bose disdain, thus when their basher pals get challenged, quite conveniently outcries of TOS violations arise, challenge posts get deleted, while the basher posts remain behind under the guise "valid opinion". Yeah. Ah-huh. Sure it is.

Here's my list.

Number One and favorite Bose hater big dummy cop out response is "you can't change physical law." Gawd, are they that ignorant or what? Of course it can't, BUT it can be ADAPTED, MANIPULATED, AND ADJUSTED TO THE HUMAN SENSORY EXPERIENCE. Talk to David Copperfield or Houdini about human sensory adaptations. Hold your nose and bite an apple and onion? Which is which? What an individual's senses perceive is their reality, yes or no? Specs do not alter sensory perceptions any more than a logo does. Specs may influence intellectual knowledge but not the sensory experience.

My second favorite is how on-the-fence readers and responders never ever question when the poster last had a hearing test. Everyone automatically assumes a reviewer has all the scientific credentials, technical knowledge AND perfect physical attributes to make a valid opinion based claim.

Thirdly, NONE have ever used a personally manually metered argument. None. Not a single Bose basher has ever posted actual comparative personally physically metered data or evidence in their dissertations.

Fourth, none ever make mention of their media choices when make a personal comparison, if that comparison was ever made. Any mp3 or non-factory pressed CD of 196kbs or less, say bye bye to bass; 128kbs is anemic at best; 96kbs won't sound good in headphones either. Many folks still don't realize that wav to mp3 conversion is an algorithm that combines compression with surgical frequency removal/elimination unless a lossless codec is employed.

Rounding out the top 5 of at least 10 total, is the poster never states what "kind or style" of bass is their own personal preference; the back of the Honda Accord over amplified, tie fluttering, toupee removing kind, or the natural as it really is kind. But if you, the reader, don't match their (unknown unstated) preference, then you are not a "professional" DJ. That incomprehensible, idiotic, and self-aggrandizing "not professional" comment, like only THEY are the yardstick against what all professionals and the entire profession must be measured makes me livid, absolutely livid. (Can you tell?)

Thanks. I'm done now.
28 REPLIES 28
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Re: Bose L1 Bashers On The Public Forums - My Take On It All

Yes, this is a good place to vent, you are right these other DJ's are just <ignorant> & don't ever know what they are talking about. Here we are beyond specs, we talk about what sounds best.

[Ken-at-Bose changed a disallowed word -- please see our Terms of Service link at the bottom of every message board page.]
mbm
Registered since

Sep 9, 2008

So very very true.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Other than wishing Bose continued success so as to stay in the business of innovation, I could care less if another DJ ever invests in an L1 system. I enjoy the exclusivity of offering the L1 system, it’s a selling point.

That said, those naysayers are not having that much of an effect as I see more and more of my competitors using the L1. Success is always the sweetest revenge.
deejayel
Registered since

Mar 13, 2009

It should just be about preference. If you like te big boxes, god bless you. I like the idea of getting great sound from a light a package as possible. Different strokes for different folks.
Joe_Dobronski
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2008

Yea I agree - I don't understand it - I watch and read a couple of "pro audio" type forums and it reminds me of watching sharks when blood is in the water. Some unsuspecting sap will post something nice about Bose and the frenzie begins!!! Wow, never seen anything like it.?
nextgen1
Registered since

Jul 25, 2007

You know I'm with you Lou I know that Bose would love to sell tons of Bose stuff. But in a 100 mile radius I'm the only one with the Bose system. It makes me very different in our area in a great way. Most people are floored with the system and quality and everything tied to what we try to represent with the Bose being the center piece or our equipment.
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

Part of it might be that Bose over simplifies the problem of getting good sound out there that is pleasing to a large audience.

Given that, you don't need the mumbo-jumbo of a sound engineer, telling you that without "His/Her" expertise and array of equipment you would not be happy to listen to the performance at hand.

Part of the sound experience that you paid for is because they went through a lot of trouble to make sure all of their "Great Stuff" was setup and balanced by their awesome expertise and sound training to make sure you had a great listening experience.

Or a musician, walked in, set-up a Bose sound system by them-selves and everyone loved it.
Wow!! Someone finally realized that they are out of a job and need to bash the enemy. Yes some people have good reason to bash the Bose systems. It's called job and ego security.
ronralph
Registered since

Dec 10, 2005

Part of the problem on the public forums with "Bose Bashing" has to do with cheap, low budget wannabe DJ's who would absolutely love to have one or more of the Bose systems, but they just can't afford them. So instead of acknowledging Bose as the best, they simply bash. Some just can't justify paying for quality equipment. Read about some of the other equipment they use, and you'll find some bought used equipment at a pawn shop, or the cheapest mixing board they could find elsewhere. Some of those so-called DJ's probably don't make it past their bedroom to perform at.

Go back a year or two and you'll find a basher that has actually purchased a Bose system. Now they love it instead of bashing it. There aren't many like that, but a few. I can name one or two. It's just like cars. Some will bash a Mustang or a Camaro, but would love to have one.

Those that try to speak technical like they have an engineering degree in music propagation are just as good as a backyard lawyer.Both speak from the hot air that comes from their back ends.
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

We have been trained to think bigger is beter. A Big Mac, Big Cars, Big House, Big Mouth, you get the picture. People do not want to except that small can be better. This is not a new argument. It started when Bose made the first Pro Audio systems. It is the nature of the beast. Words alone will never convince someone that what you have is better. It is just like the debate between Mac and PC users, Ford and Chevy, Fender and Gibson.