Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terrydean
Registered since

Apr 18, 2011

Bose L1 (Classic or Mod1) ... more power is better than mod 2???

I am looking at purchasing a L1 mod 1 (original). I have owned the L1 model 2 and really enjoyed the new features and portability. Also I have had the Compact this last year sound is good for 6 speakers but way under powered for most of my gigs. Had to add a powered speaker to fill the clubs and outdoor events.

My question is this - is the original still the best power horse in the line up. Are you sacrificing anything over the Mod 2? If you put a Tone Match on any of them you still have a very clean system with all the bells and whistles? I hear something like 700 vs 500 and the speaker line array different. Thoughts welcomed - thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Bose L1 (Classic or Mod1) ... more power is better than mod 2???

Hi Terry Dean,

Here is a link to a note from Ken-at-Bose about this:

Acoustical Output Compared to the L1® Classic and the L1® Model II
jukeboxjoe
Registered since

May 12, 2009

Re: Bose L1 (Classic or Mod1) ... more power is better than mod 2???

Sorry to post the same answer, but I see the same question asked, and I am very enthusiastic at finally hearing the difference myself, and I am overjoyed at how wonderful but how differently the two models sound.

Terry, you asked if one would be sacrificing anything by going to the Mod 2 from a Mod 1. Yes, you would, and it would not be trivial for gigs where you need the most power and projection. You will sacrifice some of both, due undoubtedly to (1) the higher power, (2) the lower crossover, and (3) the straight array configuration of the Model 1, which together boost the projection and do so with less feedback at high volumes, than the Model 2. However, that is not the end of the story.

The Model 2, with its higher crossover frequency and articulated array, give you a noticeably more natural and smooth sound (I notice this dramatically on vocals and acoustic guitar) than the Model 1. It really depends on what type of music you're playing. Also a factor is the new B2, which based on others' posts is changing the game for the bass power available on the M2. (I can't help wondering what an M1 with a B2 would sound like. Bass overkill, perhaps?)

So on the flip side, I would also say that you would sacrifice a natural and smoother tone if you went from a Model 2 to a Model 1. As I said elsewhere, neither Model is better to my ears, but they sure have their respective strengths over each other.