IAmTheWalrus
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

Bose L1 Compact w/Tone-match for Electric Guitar

I am new to this board. The Guitar Center salesman whom I purchased my Bose L1 Compact and Tone-Match advises me that under no circumstance should I ever plug an electric guitar into either the L1 and/or the T1 Tone-match? The GC rep insists I will blow out the speakers? I have purchased some beautiful guitars including a brand new Gretsch 6120 that I would love to bring to an open mic I run once a week. Can I play my electric through the Bose and if the answer is yes, what pedals, processors do I need? I.e., a SansAmp? A DI Box? An Cab sim? I need help... Please advise... Thanks Scott

Edit title: Previously "Bose L1 Compact w/Tone-match" and added tags
-- Bose Pro Community Admin 

16 REPLIES 16
CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: Bose L1 Compact w/Tone-match for Electric Guitar

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you wish to use the L1 as a Marshall stack, you most certainly can use the L1 with electric guitars. You didn’t mention what kind of music you would be playing (for example, more sedate smooth jazz vs highly distorted metal). Presumably, you’ll not be playing heavy metal. If you do, then mic’ing a separate guitar amp into the L1 might be a benter option as the L1 provides clean, transparent sound. 

There are numerous discussions about this exact topic on the forum. Click here for one to get you started.

The menu in the upper left hand corner of the page in the title bar (three horizontal bars) lists a search option where you can do a search for something like “L1 electric guitar” and you’ll see many more discussions from folks who are actually using the L1 in a variety of real life playing situations with electric guitars. Some very helpful tips/hints in those discussions. Good luck!

W__P__Anthony
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

IAmTheWalrus posted:

I am new to this board. The Guitar Center salesman whom I purchased my Bose L1 Compact and Tone-Match advises me that under no circumstance should I ever plug an electric guitar into either the L1 and/or the T1 Tone-match? The GC rep insists I will blow out the speakers? I have purchased some beautiful guitars including a brand new Gretsch 6120 that I would love to bring to an open mic I run once a week. Can I play my electric through the Bose and if the answer is yes, what pedals, processors do I need? I.e., a SansAmp? A DI Box? An Cab sim? I need help... Please advise... Thanks Scott

Well then I must be the lucky one. Channel 2 on my T1 is my Guitar channel and has been for years. So far it only blew the mind of my audiences.

Chriscom
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 30, 2018

If you ever see that salesman again, ask him why there are several electric guitar pre-sets in the T1.

IAmTheWalrus
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

W. P. Anthony posted:
IAmTheWalrus posted:

Well then I must be the lucky one. Channel 2 on my T1 is my Guitar channel and has been for years. So far it only blew the mind of my audiences.

Do you use any pedals/DI Boxes in between your guitar and your T1?

FCBlues
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2018

The T1 has user presets for electric guitar. Oh well. I will say however, as others also alluded to, that the T-1/L1 doesn't directly reproduce the kind of tones guitarists usually seek from tube amps and the likes from those presets, to me they are more like playing directly into mixer channel. Very raw. I assume some effects or amp modelling is required on the front end. I would think a mike on the speakers of an amp would be the best if your amp is in a closet but otherwise might take you back to the same old problem we have as guitarists, we sound good now but it's too loud. My 2 cents

Chriscom
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 30, 2018

"The T1 has user presets for electric guitar. Oh well..."

Well the key issue was the salesman's amusing claim that plugging an electric into an L1 or the T1 would, simply because they are electrics, blow out the speakers. As for the tone you get when you do plug in, it appears that your more genteel electrics suitable e.g. for some jazz players may have an easier time getting welcome results, and indeed many set a mic in front of an amp when that's not enough.  

IAmTheWalrus
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

Chriscom posted:

"The T1 has user presets for electric guitar. Oh well..."

Well the key issue was the salesman's amusing claim that plugging an electric into an L1 or the T1 would, simply because they are electrics, blow out the speakers. As for the tone you get when you do plug in, it appears that your more genteel electrics suitable e.g. for some jazz players may have an easier time getting welcome results, and indeed many set a mic in front of an amp when that's not enough.  

Yes, but again if I do not want o lug my Fender Blues Jr, and set up a mic where my real estate is limited in a coffee house, what have others used to get good guitar tones? I see very positive results with these Tech 21 Character pedals, anyone try one of these or these Pods from Line 6?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Scott (IAmTheWalrus),

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community. I'm glad you're here.

IAmTheWalrus posted:

I am new to this board. The Guitar Center salesman whom I purchased my Bose L1 Compact and Tone-Match advises me that under no circumstance should I ever plug an electric guitar into either the L1 and/or the T1 Tone-match? The GC rep insists I will blow out the speakers?

I play electric guitars through my T1 and L1 Compact at least six times a month and have done for years. No, you won't blow out the speakers.

I have purchased some beautiful guitars including a brand new Gretsch 6120 that I would love to bring to an open mic I run once a week.

Congratulations on getting your new Gretsh 6120. What color is it?  What styles of music are you playing?

Can I play my electric through the Bose and if the answer is yes,

If you are running clean, you may like the sound without any additional gear.

There is a T1 Preset you may like,

what pedals, processors do I need? I.e., a SansAmp? A DI Box? An Cab sim? I need help... Please advise... Thanks Scott

I often run my jazz boxes using this ToneMatch Preset

or

For more typical electric guitar sounds I use guitar processors with guitar amp modelers and amp simulators.  A straight effects pedal won't give you the sound of an amp. 

There are lots of amp modelers to choose from. When travelling light and I don't need to do a lot of switching on the fly, the Boss GT-1 serves me well.  It's small, sounds great, and can run on batteries.  When I want the universe of sound, I use my Kemper Profiling Amp  

When using amp modelers, I use this Preset

Here is an article for you: Electric Guitar

Thanks for the great question.

ST

IAmTheWalrus
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

My guitar is a 6120 Eddie Cochran model - Maple Stain with:

• Bridge Pickup: DynaSonic Single-Coil Bridge Pickup
  • Neck Pickup: Lindy Fralin "Dog Ear" Single-Coil Pickup...

I'm 61 and always wanted a Gretsch... The used ones were too expensive and in need of some cosmetic repair, so I used a 20% coupon and grabbed one! It's beautiful and I would love to play it at my open mic!