Did you mean: 
Algis1
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2009

Re: Bose S1 Pro System

Seagullman posted:

Hi Algis,

thanks for posting the link to the Bose specs for the L1 + B2 combination. It does say how many watts the system has, but if he/you read  what's in the links I put up earlier today you can see that the wattage doesn't really say much on its own. For the 250W high/mid + the 250W low end the Model II can certainly cover an extremely large area. Not deafeningly loud, but who really wants that anyway?

Paul Rumbol posted:

I suspect that the S1 Pro will struggle outside, volume wise.

For busking purposes you don't really need to be terrifically loud. In most countries I would imagine that it's not really allowed to be really loud. What you want is to have enough volume to be heard within a few yards or so. I would imagine that the S1 will cover these needs. If the Rechargeable battery lasts long enough per charge I can see the S1 doing quite well for buskers prepared to go the extra mile money wise to have Bose sound.

I do find it to be a shame that they didn't offer the possibility that Roland did with the AC 33. That thing runs on 8 AA batteries. Two sets of those as rechargeables (Eneloop are really good) and you can run all day. Maybe that will become a possibility in time.

Tony

Yes You are right, because L1  sound field area is 180 degrees   & frequency response is more linear. It's more difficult to compare to other type of speakers. I only show where to find Bose equipment specifications.. I'm using Bose L1 II , Bose monitors 310 series , T1 mixers , Bose F1 system & A1 amplifiers . I'm not complain to anything . If people need some specifications , they will find if really need .

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

I hope I'll be able to try out the S1 soon. The price is very reasonable IMO, My current battery operated amp is DB opera mobile (discontinued but replaced with a very similar spec model), the quality of the sound is good, it has a 10" woofer & it's loud at 60W (200W peak they say). However there's no reverb & the eq is very limited & only on the the mic channel. It's also a bit more expensive than the S1.

The other top end busking amp is the AER compact mobile. Also 60W, oustanding sound quality & good reverb & eq on both channels but way more expensive.

I hope the S1 will be a game changer for my busking in the same way the L1 has been for me doing gigs. I expect Bose to be the best & tbh would have been prepared to pay more.

I'm a little concerned this little Bose won't be loud enough outdoors.

You don't want to deafen people when busking but anyone who's done much of it knows that basically the louder you are, the more people you attract & more money you make.

stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

Hey ST,

Thanks for your input.  I am anxious to hear reviews and other's opinions on the S1, and the new Tonematches.  I like to hear what others are doing and ideas you all have.  I've learned a lot, and have used a lot of what I read on these and other forums to help me perform and sound better.  Bose products are soooo cool.  I was just hoping for a little more of a product that I could upgrade to.  I couldn't help but think that a big part of the L1's selling point was not only the ease of transport and setup (and of course the legendary Bose sound), but that it was appealing to the eye, without having so many wires going to speakers on a pole, and that you didn't have to have speaker poles at all.  But then, the S1 is now the ultimate portable unit, even smaller than the Compact, but you're back to wires and potentially poles (if you want to get the thing up off of the ground).  I'm sure it will prove to be a great sounding unit, and will be as popular as most Bose products are.  I'll keep reading and learning.

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

@Algis

Algis posted:

Yes You are right, because L1  sound field area is 180 degrees   & frequency response is more linear. It's more difficult to compare to other type of speakers. I only show where to find Bose equipment specifications.. I'm using Bose L1 II , Bose monitors 310 series , T1 mixers , Bose F1 system & A1 amplifiers . I'm not complain to anything . If people need some specifications , they will find if really need .

Very true Algis and it was a good idea of yours to point this out with links. It sometimes does take a bit of searching to fine the details you need (not just with Bose things), but generally perseverance will get you there.

I see from your profile that you've been a Member here for many years but haven't posted a lot. This isn't meant as criticism. It's nice to get to know you here.

By the Way, I followed the link to your Band's Website and watched a few of the uploaded videos. I really enjoyed them. You're apparently well known in your country and you seem to have a lot of fun performing live. I enjoy rock'n'roll, especially with a horn section.

Maybe you'd like to post a few gig pics in the "At the Gig and Rehearsal" Forum. I'm sure quite a few of us here would be interested to see the Bose gear in action in Eastern Europe. Just start a new thread with a name of your choice and you're on your way. It's not a must.

Tony

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Here's a snapshot comparison of the L1® Compact and the S1 Pro system.

Source: 2018 Pro Portable Family Brochure

ST

DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

It will be interesting to see how the response is from the Bose community once they one by one buy & review the new products. I personally am interested in how well the S1 Pro works as a stage monitor??? Especially on a full band set up with drums (or is it only loud enough for acoustic acts with low stage volume)... 

I am also surprised that Bose didn't introduce a DJ style mixer... with all the DJs using their portable PA systems around the world. 

tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

It's smaller than I expected.  But fills up my living room/great room pretty well.  Having the tonematch acoustic guitar and vocals helps and the bluetooth pairing was very simple.

I'll be trying it out at some of the venues I've been playing at regularly to see how it compares to the Fishman SA330x I've been using.  And tonight, I'm going to use it as a monitor in my 3 piece band.  We've been using a Line 6 L3t, but that is really overkill for monitor purposes.

Hoping for some good results...

KingBiscuit
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 16, 2015

I'm wondering if it's as feedback resistant as the rest of the Bose family.  I'm assuming that on a solo gig, you'd set it up behind you.

tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

For the solo gigs, I'm going to try it both elevated/speaker stand and also tilted back...  I'll update after I've taken it through it's paces...