Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Re: Bose S1 Pro System

Seagullman posted:

Hi Tom,

I hope you're keeping well.

Nice hands on review. It could help many in their search for something small and apparently really good sounding.

Regarding the loudspeaker stand. I just bought one from K+M for use with my Hughes + Kettner Era1 (Model number K&M 21455). It's not as high as "normal" loudspeaker stands and can be set lower. 

Height adjustable from roughly 40" to 61" (1005mm to 1545mm) with the 35mm pole diameter for the loudspeaker. It weighs in at 3.3 kilos (just over 7 pounds and can support 40 kilos (nearly 90 pounds).

It's not cheap, but it's professional standard and I'm very happy with it.

I hope this helps.

Tony

That would work. I ordered a cheaper OnStage stand that will probably be no more than head height if I extend the base past horizontal. It specs at 28”-49”. A42A392F-4666-4E41-9D1F-91ED73EC8099

Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Seagullman posted:

Tom, when you wrote this

Tom Munch posted:

I used the S1 at my gig tonight. I started with it in the tilted-back floor configuration which was pretty muddy and prone to low-end feedback on the guitar. I then put it on a stand which really brought it to life. I had it next to a Compact and switched between the two every few songs. I preferred the guitar through the S1 and the vocal through the Compact overall. The voice just sounded more alive through the Compact, but the guitar sounded bigger through the S1. The S1 is plenty loud and has good low end and crisp highs. The reverb is a hall reverb which is much bigger than I prefer. I like the small room and the plate on the T1. I think the S1 could stand in for the Compact at almost all my gigs. I’m not crazy about carrying a stand, and I have a smaller stand on order which I hope will be less to carry than the standard Ultimate Support stand I used tonight. 

Could it have anything to do with the fact that it was on a stand so that the larger speakers were more at ear-level than the Compact? Maybe you could place the Compact on a table and compare the two that way?

Just a thought.

Tony

I need to look at the EQ curve on the busker configuration. I’m guessing it would be less muddy sounding on a hard reflective surface. 

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

@Tom Munch

here are a couple of photos (3 actually) I've just taken for you.

The Guitar is leaning against the stand and is a Taylor GS-mini so you'll be able to get a good idea how low/high the stand can get.

Here in the lowest position

Here in the highest position.

And here folded for transport

The thing on the left side is the locking pin. The stand can be extended twice at even intervals.

Tony

In the photos the stand is no higher than just under the base horizontal.

DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Perhaps an upgraded slip cover/bag that has a pocket and more padding will be available for the S1 in the future. 

Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Seagullman posted:

@Tom Munch

here are a couple of photos (3 actually) I've just taken for you.

The Guitar is leaning against the stand and is a Taylor GS-mini so you'll be able to get a good idea how low/high the stand can get.

Here in the lowest position

Here in the highest position.

And here folded for transport

The thing on the left side is the locking pin. The stand can be extended twice at even intervals.

Tony

In the photos the stand is no higher than just under the base horizontal.

Looks a little taller than the one I ordered. 

Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

I posted comparison photos yesterday, but they didn’t show up. 

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Thanks for the photos Tom. The S1 is clearly smaller than a Compact.

Regarding the Stand. I don't generally go higher than the Base Horizontal with tripods because it makes the footprint smaller and therefore affects the stability.

Tony

tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

I'll write up a more extensive review after this weekend's acoustic solo gigs, but last night I used it with my 3 piece band as a monitor for my bass player.

The setup was a little unusual for us, as the stage is almost 4 1/2 high, so I placed the Fishman SA330x close to the side of me using it as FOH and as a monitor for myself.  Just vocals were going through it.

The Bass Player plays through a Quilter Bass Block 800 and I was using a prototype Quilter Guitar Amp.  The Drummer didn't need to be mic'd.

I set the drummer up with a mic stand mounted TC Helicon VoiceSolo 150FX and put the Bose S1 in front of and to the left of the Bass player's mic stand (he uses a Beta 58A, so I placed the S1 in the "dead spot" of the mic's pickup pattern.

Anyway, long story short (too late!)... the S1 worked like a champ, more than keeping up with the antics of the band and the volume of the amps.  Granted we aren't some headbanging supercharged over the top volume to 11 type of band, but we did have some stage volume.  His comment was that it sounded better than the L3t we had been using and that it was almost like "having headphones on" since he could hear everything (the vocals/harmonies) so clearly.  Based on this experience, I know it will work at some of the venues where there is a real tight setup space and a good amount of patrons...

Well, that's it for now... As I mentioned, after this weekends gigs (and attending NAMM today and Sunday), I'll write a more extensive review...

Hope this helps...

Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

The S1 is a great design. I love the look and the possibilities. This may bring more Bose exposure to the public than any thing else in this portable pro series.

Now, Imagine it with a 10 inch woofer (or B1 capability regardless of size) and 5 or 6 of the small transducers and the array being removable with extensions ala Compact, same S1 shape, multiple setup positions, keep the pole mount and 4 channels with blue tooth, phantom power and a ToneMatch port. No Battery on this one.

O..

Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Seagullman posted:

Thanks for the photos Tom. The S1 is clearly smaller than a Compact.

Regarding the Stand. I don't generally go higher than the Base Horizontal with tripods because it makes the footprint smaller and therefore affects the stability.

Tony

Yes, it does make the footprint smaller which is less stable. I’m sure it’s not wise, but I do it sometimes when I need the height and the situation seems safe enough.