Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User-41e1f
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2021

Bose S1 Pro To Audo Interface

Can I connect my Bose S1 Pro to an audio interface to record on my computer?  If so is it as simple as using the "line out" to a line in on the interface?  Please advice as I am a novice.  Thank you!

Bose product name

Country

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

3 REPLIES 3
Ben_E

Re: Bose S1 Pro To Audo Interface

Hi @User-41e1f,

Thanks for your first post in the Bose Community!

As a musician myself, I should be able to assist you here 🙂 Yes, you could use the S1 Pro as an instrument mixer and then feed the signal into a "line in" on your recording interface. This would be similar to using a standard outboard mixer.

If you need any further assistance, let me know which recording interface/setup you have.

Best wishes

P.S. You may also want to turn up the "volume" dials (1, 2 and 3) on the S1 Pro to quite a loud level, and then keep the volume on your recording interface lower, rather than the other way around. This process is called "gain-staging" and can be useful when recording music, in order to eliminate unwanted noise such as hiss or buzz which can build up along the signal chain. More information about gain-staging can be found online, of course.

Mehr fühlen, mehr erleben.
Neu in der Community? In unseren Community-Richtlinien findest Du hilfreiche Tipps für den Einstieg. Nicht vergessen: wir haben unsere Community-Ränge und -Belohnungen erneuert und verbessert. Schau sie Dir mal an!
User-41e1f
Participant
Registered since

Mar 30, 2021

Thank you very much.  I currently am using the blue tooth feature on the S1 Pro and picking up tracks from youtube from my tablet.  I then have two wireless mics plugged into  the S1 Pro.  It is basically a high end fun karaoke system for friends and family.  I have a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 as my audio interface which is NOT hooked up yet.  Am I correct by using the "line out" on the S1 Pro and connecting it to a line in on my interface that the entire system can be recorded on my computer?  Would I simply need a 1/4" cable coming out of the S1 Pro and the opposite end being (1/4") plugging into the audio interface line in? Or would I need a 1/4" coming out of the S1 Pro and an XLR going into the interface?  Also balanced or unbalanced?  I apologize if I am coming across as clueless but at this point I've watched over 5 dozen videos and still don't know what I need to connect the two devices properly.  

Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Hello User-41elf,

You would use a 1/4' TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) to 1/4" TRS cable, and plug one end in the S1 Pro Line Out and the other end into the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4.  By using TRS cables, your signal will be balanced.  The combo inputs 1 and 2 on the front can be used for either XLR or 1/4 plugs.  The rear inputs 3 and 4 use 1/4" plugs.  Also, you can control the gain on front input 1 and 2, whereas the rear inputs 3 and 4 are set and are controlled by changing the volume at the source.)

If you use inputs 1 or 2, pay attention to the INST button for that channel -- it illuminates red when selected.  (If you plugging in a guitar of other instrument)  You need to DEselect it (red light off) for line-level inputs such as the S1 Pro.

Other than that, just realize that the mix you hear in the air may be totally different than what you hear on playback.  And of course, recordings via earbuds vs. headphones vs. speakers will all be perceived differently as well.  Just expect to experiment a lot and have fun!

Does that help?