Ted the musicman
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2006

Bose S1 Pro as monitor, what should I use for FOH ?

Hi Guys

I've been on break from music for awhile but I'm back and I have a question

About Me:

Solo Act
Acoustic Guitar and Vocals
Small shows mostly
Average crowd 50 to 100 people ( 250 max, not often )
mixture of indoor and outdoor gigs

I purchased an S1 Pro recently and I like it. I plan on using it as my monitor and mixer and I would run a line out of it into FOH.

Question is, what should I use for FOH ?

My thoughts so far are this:

1) Another S1 pro ( light !, quick setup, could run 2 up front for better coverage [ if necessary ] , battery power !, would have a back up to my existing unit, using a preamped line level signal in [ from other S1 Pro ] may give me fairly substantial volume out front, however its possible it may not be sufficient for larger crowds, less throw than L1 models )

2) L1 compact ( rave reviews, better dispersion than S1 pro, should easily cover most of my shows volume wise, better throw, extra weight though and no battery power )

3) L1 model 1S with B1 ( great reviews, great dispersion and throw, easily sufficient for my largest shows, more weight and bigger price tag though, no battery power )

4) F1 812 ( so many happy users, quick setup, cheaper than a compact, quite powerful, limited dispersion and heavier than S1 and Compact though, no battery power )

I don't think I want to go all the way up to the L1 model 2 unless I would start getting a lot of requests to do larger shows.

So, what do you guys think based on Y'alls experience ?

Thanks ! Ted

9 REPLIES 9
ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: Bose S1 Pro as monitor, what should I use for FOH ?

For 50 to 100 people for just singer and one acoustic guitar, I use 2 Bose S1 Pros on stands set up on each side of me and slightly behind the plane of the microphone.  I've had no problem hearing the main mix well enough to monitor it. 

I'll often use a battery powered mixer (Behringer 1002b - connected with 2 TRS to XLR cables) and don't have to drag along more A/C cords or search for mains power.

For over 100-150 people, you'd need more: at least an L1S...(a compact is probably not enough).

If you've got the money, an L1M2 would be better.  It's the same size and number of pieces as an L1S (just heavier bottom stick)...up to 300-500... 

And you could use your S1 Pro as a monitor which will give you more flexibility for setup.  There are too many stages/spaces where we must setup that are too shallow to allow the L1M2 to be set up behind (you need at least 10' or so to avoid serious feedback) so we usually have had to set them up to one side or the other.

Ted the musicman
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2006

Thanks Chet !

I appreciate the response   

I've noticed that I seem to have a much easier time hearing my pitch on vocals when I have a monitor pointed directly at me as opposed to having one behind or off to the side, however maybe having 1 on either side might make the difference. 

Thanks again, I appreciate your help   

Ted 

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

I concur with Chet’s thoughts. I’d start out with a second S1 and see how far that takes you. We have a L1 M2 with 2 B1 subwoofers and a S1. Now we have 2 acoustic guitars and 2 vocals with occasionally an upright bass. So between the S1 and the L1 we are covered, but we seem to be using the S1 more and more.

To Chet’s point, it’s nice to start out with the S1 then add as your needs and size of venue grow. You’ll find you can use the S1 in combination with the L1 as a monitor or  extension speaker. So you’ll find your investment build on each choice. 

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

It does take a little time and experience to get used to monitoring one's performance from behind or to the side.

But when you DO get used to a configuration, you can set it up most anywhere and feel comfortable.

My problems with stage monitors me are two-fold. 

First, you are probably NOT getting the same mix as the house is and therefore as sound man doing sound for myself, I'm not getting an accurate version of what my audience is hearing.

The other problem is that if it's another person doing the mixing, one RARELY gets decent sound on stage.  I'm astounded at how sound guys (it's always "guys") never walk behind the stage to check on what's coming out of the monitors and we performers just don't have the time to try to talk them through mixing something they're not hearing!

I'm in the same school with my late friend U. Utah (Bruce) Phillips who used to get on stage, point to the monitors and tell the sound man, "Turn these off, they just confuse me." 

When playing as a single, I'd rather work with NO monitors, just enjoy what I'm doing and what I can hear of the mains in the house than the garbage that comes out of stage monitors most of the time.

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

PS: Yep, 2 S1s surrounding and enfolding me with great sound is more pleasant than just one of them on one side and slightly behind...

Ted the musicman
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2006

Thanks City Folk I appreciate your input, sounds like your current setup is serving you well. 

And thanks again Chet I appreciate your additional thoughts and your time, its good to get feedback from you guys.

I've heard more than a few people say that being in between 2 S1's is quite an experience   

Are you running dual mono with the 2 S1's Chet ? How far apart do you place them from each other roughly ?

Thanks Again,   

Ted      

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Ted the musicman,

Thanks for all the background information and analysis.

Ted the musicman posted:

Hi Guys

I've been on break from music for awhile but I'm back and I have a question

About Me:

Solo Act
Acoustic Guitar and Vocals
Small shows mostly
Average crowd 50 to 100 people ( 250 max, not often )
mixture of indoor and outdoor gigs

Bose conservatively suggests 

Up to  50 people: S1 Pro system

Up to 100 people: L1 Compact

Up to 300 people: L1 Model 1S

Up to 500 people: L1 Model II

I purchased an S1 Pro recently and I like it. I plan on using it as my monitor and mixer and I would run a line out of it into FOH.

Question is, what should I use for FOH ?

My thoughts so far are this:

1) Another S1 pro ( light !, quick setup, could run 2 up front for better coverage [ if necessary ] , battery power !, would have a back up to my existing unit, using a preamped line level signal in [ from other S1 Pro ] may give me fairly substantial volume out front, however its possible it may not be sufficient for larger crowds, less throw than L1 models )

All great points. 

Please note: Two S1 Pro systems are not much louder than one. You get more coverage by spreading them apart. The increase in horizontal coverage will be related to the distance between them. Two S1 Pro systems will not project farther (in the direction they are facing) than one.

2) L1 compact ( rave reviews, better dispersion than S1 pro, should easily cover most of my shows volume wise, better throw, extra weight though and no battery power )

You've hit all the high points.

Setting aside the battery feature:  In any situation where I need a speaker stand for the S1 Pro, I take my L1 Compact instead.

3) L1 model 1S with B1 ( great reviews, great dispersion and throw, easily sufficient for my largest shows, more weight and bigger price tag though, no battery power )

4) F1 812 ( so many happy users, quick setup, cheaper than a compact, quite powerful, limited dispersion and heavier than S1 and Compact though, no battery power )

The F1 Model 812 horizontal coverage is not as wide as the L1 systems but it is 100 degrees.  That works well if most of your audience is in front of you.

The F1 Model 812 is considerably louder than the L1 models (great for motivating people on a dance floor in front of you), but the L1 systems provide more even volume from front-to-back in a venue.

I don't think I want to go all the way up to the L1 model 2 unless I would start getting a lot of requests to do larger shows.

So, what do you guys think based on Y'alls experience ?

Thanks ! Ted

You mention [no] battery power.  Do you need to perform without AC power very often?

Playing through two S1 Pro systems is nice, but to make a significant difference in the coverage area, look at the L1 Compact, L1 Model 1S, or L1 Model II.

If you get an L1 Compact or F1 Model 812 you can use it as a typical Front of House system with the S1 Pro as a monitor. 

If you get an L1 Model IS or L1 Model II and a mixer then you probably won't need to use the S1 Pro as a monitor.  It doesn't take long to get used to hearing yourself through an L1 behind you.  

ST

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Sometimes I run two S1s as a dual mono system.

Sometimes I'll run them in stereo -- especially when using my stereo electric guitar effects box (Line 6 Firehawk FX)...

Ted the musicman
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2006

Thanks ST for your help and info ??

In the last few days I've  been trying a new monitoring position with the S1 behind me that is working quite well. I've been able to get lots of gain before feedback and I can hear my voice ( and pitch ) quite well, so that may be a game changer for me. I may now be ok with a single S1  for the majority of my shows ( which are small) and I can begin pondering what I will be purchasing for the bigger shows. I owned an L1 classic before taking a break and I was mightily impressed with its performance, that thing got me gigs. ??

I appreciate everyone's input so far.

Thanks, 

Ted