Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 30, 2018

Bose S1 Pro positions and setup performing singer songwriter

Hi Folks   I've just received  My S1  and must say I'm  absolutely delighted, as an L1 M2 owner the S1 is a lot more convenient  for intimate gigs, 

So folks i was just wondering  how other similar  users  how they position and use   their   S1 ?

I realise this is a subjective subject and depends on venue etc,   but  it would be interesting  share 

I will post my setup over the next few Weeks    

love the forum kind regards  J 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Bose S1 Pro positions and setup performing singer songwriter

Hi JKWilly,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community. 

Here are some ideas for you.

And check out S1 Pro system

I'm sure others will chime in.

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

@JKWilly we’ve primarily used our S1 in outdoor farmers market venues, hence we needed to have the S1 project sound across a wide area. Therefore, we placed the S1 on a speaker stand slightly to one side and in front of our acoustic duo. We had it turned a bit toward us so we could hear it. That position worked nicely for good projection (although not as much as our L1 but it was enough) and enhanced bass.

In other indoor venues, we’ve used the S1 as a monitor  for our L1M2 system where we had to place the L1 off to the side and in front of us due to awkward stage layouts. We placed the S1 on the floor in its “monitor” position next to us and that worked quite nicely as well. 

Finally, we’ve used the S1 on a stand with our L1M2 not as a monitor, but to send sound from the L1 to a section of a venue that was very awkward audience space located to the side and behind us where the L1 wouldn’t reach. So the S1 covered that weird space, but with the same quality of sound that you expect from Bose. In that instance, the venue owners and patrons were very impressed that we were the only group they’ve had who accommodated their entire space where everyone could hear the music.

In all cases, we ran the S1 on battery power so we could freely position it without concern of having to be restricted to being near a power outlet. Quite liberating and wonderfully flexible. 

As a final note for something we didn’t fully appreciate until using the S1 in the real world. I’m sure you see where it can be used by itself, but we realized it also can be used to augment the L1 in certain situations which further leverages your investment in both. They’re not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

I have been using the S1 off to the side and slightly behind me for lower volumes at home....and looking forward to trying it out at a care home in a few weeks.  I tried to use one S1 as FOH and one S1 as my monitor in my regular gigging spot but had feedback problems presumably due to the monitors close proximity to the back wall (very shallow stage) and having to turn it up high enough to hear clearly over the other S1.  I have a gig tomorrow night and am thinking of putting my monitor speaker on a stand or on a table slightly in front of me on my left side and then have the other S1 on my right slightly in front of me and the Mic.  The other possible speaker arrangement I was considering but was discouraged was to put one S1 behind me on my left as my monitor at lower volume and the other S1 Pro on my right slightly in front of me and the Mic.  Lots of trial and error involved when your are faced with awkward venues.  The tables in the venue where I regularly play are pushed right up in front of the stage so that produces another challenge.

Enjoy your S1...they are awesome little speakers.

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 30, 2018

Thanks SP  i’m starting to really like the S1  i used it  for out the first time yesterday together with my T1 as i need Phantom power  for my Neumann 105,  positioned  it close to me left side tilted back position  (battery power,just try it out )  from T1 master out   connected  input 1 volume set to 75% with no fx, no tonematch,  and master volume &Fx  controlled from the T1,  I was truly pleased with the performance  i had a few feed back issues to begin with but managed to control this with the para ep on the T1 Mic tilted upward , then moved the S1  about  two feet in frount of my mic position  to increase the volume  i worked a treat 

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

Finally found the perfect set up for my S1 at my gig tonight.  Went straight into the S1 on a stand on my left side with the speaker turned in just slightly.  I could hear myself perfectly and the sound filled the entire room beautifully...received lots of compliments on the sound.  After several attempts using different configurations this is the simplest and works the best.  Thank you cityfolk, jkwilly and ST for sharing your setups/info...it has really helped. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

@Simon Patrick happy to hear you found your “sweet” spot. Sounds very similar to what we’ve used in the past. We were a bit apprehensive in getting the S1 mainly due to the expense, but sure have found it to be wonderful little speaker that we can use in a nice variety of venue situations with that awesome Bose sound. Glad to be of help.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

CityFolk posted:

@Simon Patrick happy to hear you found your “sweet” spot. Sounds very similar to what we’ve used in the past. We were a bit apprehensive in getting the S1 mainly due to the expense, but sure have found it to be wonderful little speaker that we can use in a nice variety of venue situations with that awesome Bose sound. Glad to be of help.

I agree that the S1 is definitely worth the money.  One other detail that I didn't mention is that I placed the S1 much more centrally on the stage (and about 8 inches from the front lip of the stage) and I was off to the side from it.  I think this made a difference by keeping the speaker away from the walls.  Incredible how far the sound travels with such a small single speaker.  The patrons that were 60 feet down around the corner playing pool said they could hear me really well!

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 19, 2020

I have 2 S1's, Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer, Shure headworn WH20XLR mic, 1 crank up speaker stand and a dual speaker stand adaptor. I set the S1's 1st channel volume, hi and low on 3 o'clock. Reverb and tonematch turned off. On the mixer, I have the master on 12 o'clock and a little reverb on the mic. I plug the outputs left and right, one each on to the S1's. I position the S1's on an angle on the speaker stand adaptor, one in front of the other, with the rear one slightly facing my way. I then crank up the speakers just above my head and I'm 168cm short. i can hear myself really well and the sound travels to every corner of the room. At the end of the gig, a number of people come up to me with really good feedbacks.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

What is the frequency response of the S1 Pro?

Read More. Don't reply to this post.