Auron
Registered since

Nov 3, 2011

Re: Bose T4S & T8S ToneMatch® Mixers

So. I'm using 2 L1 M2 with 4 B2's at the moment. For big Events I'm taking a Midas M32 with me but it is really heavy. Do you think it makes sense to take the T8S for this usecase? Waited so long for a stereo one.

Mike_in_Texas
Registered since

Dec 15, 2003

WOOPS!  No connection to tablet or phone app to allow Walk Around Mixing :-{  Very cumbersome awkward multi-screen interface anyway - this would have been a chance to address and improve that..  QSC and Behringer interfaces are significantly more modern and easier to use.  Without CLIFF, Bose continues to make decisions WITHOUT the on-stage musician user in mind.  Too Bad..

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Auron,

Auron posted:

So. I'm using 2 L1 M2 with 4 B2's at the moment. For big Events I'm taking a Midas M32 with me but it is really heavy. Do you think it makes sense to take the T8S for this usecase? Waited so long for a stereo one.

It depends on your inputs. What are you running into the Midas?
ST

Auron
Registered since

Nov 3, 2011

I would like to use it instead of the Midas in most cases. You said the T8S use-case was for F1 and bigger FOH. So does it make sense to use it with L1 as well?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Auron,

Yes, of course you can use it with the L1®.  You will use the 1/4 inch outputs to the L1 Analog inputs.

What inputs do you have running into the Midas?

ST

Auron
Registered since

Nov 3, 2011

Using 1/4 inch to XLR. Sometimes I have a DI-box between them. The Midas habe 32 xlr inputs and 32 xlr outputs.

Usually I‘m using 1 or 2 stereo keyboards ( Yamaha Genos and Tyros 5) and some

microphones for singing.

For big events I will stay on the M32. When I need most of the 32 inouts for example.

stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

Oh boy, Bose.  I am a big Bose advocate, and own a Compact and M2 with 2 B1s and 2 T1s.  But, like the new S1 (another post), I am disappointed at the new Tonematches, especially the T8S.  I kind of like the T4S, but was hoping for a similar setup on the T8S, so to get more channels.  Why are they so different?  Isn't that what many Bose users on this forum were also interested in?  No audio/power combination so you have to use a power supply?  No bluetooth capability?  STILL doesn't mount nicely to a mic stand?  I hope to hear some exciting things about these units as some start using them.  Hoping I'm totally missing something.  Certainly no "wow factor" at this time. I hope I'm wrong.  I was really hoping for an all around upgrade to the whole L1 system.  Pricing is also steep for what you are getting. I'll keep reading this forum hoping that I'm totally missing something.  Still love Bose stuff, and will keep using what I have with great pride.  I was just hoping to upgrade. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Stos2,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

I agree it would have been nice to have the same setup with two ToneMatch ports on the ToneMatch T8S (like the T4S)

With the ToneMatch T8S (with all those inputs), it was likely the user would be running out to two Bose F1 812 systems, or something similar. So we've got XLR and 1/4 inch balanced outputs instead of two ToneMatch ports like the ToneMatch T4S. We can use the same ToneMatch Power Supply for all the ToneMatch mixers (T1, T4s, T8S)

Edit - adding this further information from Bose

From Bose:

We tried to make it (full ToneMatch port for digital output) happen for the T8S but powering the T8S from an L1 was not meeting our requirements so we opted for an external power supply which ships with the T8S. While the digital connection is nice, your experience will be fine with a balanced TRS connection between the T8S and L1 Model II.

For Bluetooth, if I was using backing tracks in a pro setting (any place I would be using one of the new ToneMatch mixers) I would still use a wired solution.  I can see why you might use it with the S1 Pro. 

About mounting solutions - please see: ToneMatch Mixers - 1/4 inch (6mm) Mounting Screw

I'm looking forward to hearing from people when they get their hands on the new ToneMatch mixers. 

Cheers, 

ST

Eric_sson
Registered since

May 28, 2009

The long time coming 8 channel Stereo mixer is here but with no tonematch connections and having to use an outboard power supply is a no runner for me.

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

What surprises me most in this thread is that no-one seems to be asking a question that has been popping up up for years regarding the T1.

Have Bose updated/increased the number of presets available to the user? These have been stagnating now for about 10 years or so and many new devices (even from Tonematch partners) have no dedicated preset. For example all new Taylor guitars have the Expression Sytem ES2 which is piezo based. The Presets available are for Expression Sytem ES1 which is magnetically(humbucker)/coil(body sensor) based. Another example would be the LR Baggs Anthem system. 

This would be a real boost for all users. Experienced users who are familiar with EQ'ing (both digitally and analogue) will always be able to get a good sound from their desk, but the "having a sound engineer at your fingertips" world is for me, unfortunately, no longer as true as it was 10 years ago. Thankfully I've been EQ'ing stuff for over 50 years so I've been able to live with what's been on offer with the T1.

Tony