Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2008

Bose T8s - Firmware Glitches?

This is my second time trying out the T8s.  (I gave up the first time after experiencing quite a few inconsistencies with the firmware and returned it to the supplier.)

I decided to give it another go after reading that the latest firmware (1.1.0) addressed a lot of these issues.

However, having performed a factory reset and a firmware update to the latest (1.1.0) version, I still have the anomoly with the reverb type, namely: time shows as a percentage value and not as a time value!

The manual gives details of time value ranges for each of the reverb types but all I get is a percentage which is not very helpful at all!

Am I missing something here?

Jim S.

4 REPLIES 4
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 16, 2018

Re: Bose T8s - Firmware Glitches?

Same results here too

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jim,

jimboblueice posted:

This is my second time trying out the T8s.  (I gave up the first time after experiencing quite a few inconsistencies with the firmware and returned it to the supplier.)

Thanks for giving it a second try.

I decided to give it another go after reading that the latest firmware (1.1.0) addressed a lot of these issues.

However, having performed a factory reset and a firmware update to the latest (1.1.0) version, I still have the anomoly with the reverb type, namely: time shows as a percentage value and not as a time value!

This is different way of expressing how the time value will affect what you will hear. 

The manual gives details of time value ranges for each of the reverb types but all I get is a percentage which is not very helpful at all!

Am I missing something here?

Jim S.

The reverb times are percentages of the values shown below.

T4S/T8S ToneMatch® Mixers Global Reverb settings
MenuMain or Aux 1 (apply following settings to Main or Aux)
TypePlate, Small, Medium, Large, Cavern
TimeExpressed as a percentage of the time range for each reverb type
Reverb Type        Time Range
Plate0 – 4.6 s
Small0 – 0.8 s
Medium0 – 1.9 s
Large0 – 3.5 s
Cavern0 – 7.0 s
Balance

Percentage (ratio of early/later re?ections)

Time Control

Rotating the Time control controls the decay time of the selected reverb model from its minimum decay time to its maximum decay time. At 0%, the decay time will be at minimum and will simulate the smallest room size available to the currently selected reverb type. At 100%, the decay time will be at maximum and will simulate the largest room size available to the currently selected reverb type. Each reverb type has their own usable range of decay times that work best for the selected model type. The Reverb Decay parameter allows you to adjust the reverb time between the specific ranges that work best for the selected reverb model type.

This is a change from the way time was expressed with the T1.

Please see: T4S/T8S Reverb for more details.

Thanks,

ST

PS - Jim, did you do the factory reset after you updated your firmware?

T4S/T8S Factory Reset

Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2008

Yes, firmware update followed by factory reset.  (After the firmware update, I did get a message along the lines of "no compatible USB device found", but checking "versions"on the T8s showed that the firmware had updated.

I note ST's reply above.  However, to me a percentage is a poor representation of actual time!

Jim S.

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jim,

Yes, there is an alarming message at the end of the firmware update process. It happens because the last step is - the ToneMatch mixer reboots and the software can't find it.

Sure, I understand that if you are used to using other reverb products or the T1, the time parameter expressed in milliseconds will be familiar.

Time as a percentage expresses the effect as "how much of this effect do you want to hear".  

ST