packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

Re: Bose convert stories.

I worked for another DJ. I was using Yamaha Speakers and busting my butt lifting them onto the stands every gig. I traveled extensively in my regular job, mostly by car. I stopped at an outlet mall to stretch my legs after a few hours of driving. I walked into the Bose store to see what was new. (I own a Bose Lifestyle System for the TV.) There was an L1 Model I. Not knowing what it was, I circled it a few times before the salesman approached. He hooked it to an Ipod and I was blown away. Money was an issue at the time, so I put it on my wish list. By the time I was ready to purchase the Model II was out. Bose had free overnight shipping as a special. I was using it at a gig 3 days later. I had a few troubles at first with the mixer hookups. Sounded okay, but when I added the T1. Forget about it, the sound was unbelieveable. I run karaoke and now have people that say they prefer singing at my gigs because of how great they sound compared to the other guys. I've added a Compact as a second unit for smaller venues. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.
deejayel
Registered since

Mar 13, 2009

Hello all. Not an owner, as of yet, but I did place an order today. I order an L1 MI single sub package and an extra B1 module. I'm hoping it will be enough for a party I'm DJing with apporoximately 200 ppl. Will I be well-equipped??

I first heard the L1 (not sure if it was an MI or MII) at a wedding. I saw the speaker and kept looking around for more speakers. The DJ only had the one, although he was using it with a Mackie active sub. The sound was awesomne. Been thinking about getting it ever since. I will have it in my paws within a week. Wish me luck!!
deejayel
Registered since

Mar 13, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by JAKAMA:

So I decided to check out Bose.com and that it when I stumbled onto this forum. My wife is addicted to facebook and I am addicted to this forum. I spent many late nights just reading messages on this forum. After about 3 or 4 weeks of reading, you all convinced me to buy. On Oct. 1, 2009, my shipment of 2L1M1's and 4B1's arrived. I use a Denon X-900 mixer, a Denon CD player, and a furman power conditioner with my system.

Justin

LOL I also have an X-900, 2 Denon S3500's and a Furman Power Conditioner.

Did I correctly read elsewhere on this forum that the pwr conditioner may no longer be needed or is that true for graphic equalizers?
jakama
Registered since

Oct 1, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by DeeJay.El:
quote:

So I decided to check out Bose.com and that it when I stumbled onto this forum. My wife is addicted to facebook and I am addicted to this forum. I spent many late nights just reading messages on this forum. After about 3 or 4 weeks of reading, you all convinced me to buy. On Oct. 1, 2009, my shipment of 2L1M1's and 4B1's arrived. I use a Denon X-900 mixer, a Denon CD player, and a furman power conditioner with my system.

Justin

LOL I also have an X-900, 2 Denon S3500's and a Furman Power Conditioner.

Did I correctly read elsewhere on this forum that the pwr conditioner may no longer be needed or is that true for graphic equalizers?

I'm pretty sure a power conditioner is still recommended. My power conditioner is also a surge suppressor, so it helps to protect my equipment. I don't know about an equalizer. I don't use one.

Justin
deejayel
Registered since

Mar 13, 2009

quote:

I'm pretty sure a power conditioner is still recommended. My power conditioner is also a surge suppressor, so it helps to protect my equipment. I don't know about an equalizer. I don't use one.

Justin

It was probably the EQ. Which model Furman do you have? I have the PM-8 Series II.
jakama
Registered since

Oct 1, 2009

It was probably the EQ. Which model Furman do you have? I have the PM-8 Series II.

I have the PL-8C model.
idahodjcom
Registered since

Jan 29, 2010

I have been DJing for the past 15 years with HUGE Cerwin Vega Prostax 152 speakers. These things were like 4 feet tall, 130 lbs each. I pushed around an 18 space amp rack and another 10x4 on top of that for the mixer / CD player. My wife says they are the best sounding speakers she’s heard (until I got the Bose) When I was not using this setup, I was using 1 – 2 pair of 15” powered speakers with B-52 ACT-18 powered subs. Of course all this had to go into a 6 x 10 trailer in a certain order for it all to fit.
After playing a Christmas party at a local hotel. The hotel crew flipped the room for a Sunday brunch and was leaving while I was still loading my trailer. One of the workers said “You should get some of those small Bose speakers.” He was talking about 802s since he had seen another DJ using them. It was at that moment that I made up my mind. My time is worth something.
I contacted a friend who just got out of DJing because he was tired of chasing brides. He had 2 L1 M1 systems. He had let me use them for a gig at the center court inside the local mall. He made a great deal on both. I sold my big stuff & the trailer. Now my setup is nice and tiny. I still have 4 powered speakers and the subs to sell, but I sure as heck am not going to haul that heavy stuff out again.
I did notice that in the mall, the Bose didn’t feedback when walked in front of with a hot mic. I don’t know how this works, but I am thankful it does.
djrandee
Registered since

Dec 15, 2009

I use to have Mackie SRM 450 that i bring all the time but eversince jan 27, 2010 with 1 L1,2 B1 and a T1 all of my party's was very successful from 75 - 150 so far can't believe how many complements i got ever since i change to a bose. Its the quality and sound they know, when i had the mackie srm 450 with 1402 mixer and driverack px it sounds good but only a few complements they dont even know what speaker it is but now its noticeable hehehe... so far 6 party successful
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

When I moved to the Pittsburgh area from being an on-air DJ in the Chicago area, I had no intention of being a mobile DJ.

The first week of school, the kids had a dance, and I went as a chaperone. Their DJ was a guy in dirty jeans, a dirty white t-shirt with his smokes rolled up in the sleeve, some Radio Shack equipment, and a stack of 45s covered with pretzel crumbs and beer foam. (OK, maybe not... but it was bad!) I asked the kids how they liked the dance, and they raved about the DJ. I figured there's room for a GOOD DJ in this business, so I decided to start Holliday Productions.

The first piece of advice I was given was that "your speakers are the soul of your system, so spend all your money on speakers and then upgrade everything else when you can."

I bought two Bose® 901s and used them for about five years, upgrading all the rest of my equipment as time when by. In 1985, I bought a pair of Bose® 802s and the Bose® 302 Acoustimass enclosure. For the next 22 years, those were my speakers, powered by 450 watts per channel through a Carver Power Amp to the 802s and a 700 watt QSC amp for the 302. With that setup, I had built-in backups and enough power to play a New Year's Eve party with 1000 people celebrating into the night one year and to play the breaks for the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra out of New York City (with Buddy Morrow leading) at a corporate dinner/dance. I had to play all big band but no Dorsey music, and when I played, I had to match the "presence" of the live orchestra even though I was set up over in a corner to the side of the stage. At the end of teir first break, several band members, along with Buddy Morrow himself, came over to comment on how great the sound was. At the end of their second break, I played Tony Bennett's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." One of the waitresses came screaming through a service door; she thought the band had started again and that Tony Bennett was actually there.

In short, I believed I had the best possible sound EVER! 🙂

In 2005, I tore my rotator cuff lifting the 115-pound 302 into the back of my SUV, and I struggled mightily for another year before deciding to more or less retire.

It was January of 2007 that a Bose® Store clerk showed me the L1 Model II on line. I could trade in my 115-pound bass unit for an entire system that weighed less than that.

I went to the closest Guitar Center to try one out and loved it. I bought one (with two B1 bins) in February 2007 after coming to this forum and asking TONS of questions and getting detailed, patient, knowledgeable answers.

Then I panicked as my first gig approached. What would I use for backup? No room for the full 802 setup in the SUV. What would I do if the amp shorted out? I would be dead. If the top half shorted out, would the bottom work?

I couldn't stand it; I bought an L1 Classic® on eBay, driving 250 miles to go pick it up before the first gig so that I would be sure to have backup. Whew!

Last year, I bought the L1 Compact® system and use that as my backup. I only haul out the Classic if I'm doing an outdoor gig where I need two full systems. The rest of the time, I use the L1 Model II with two B1 bins. I've played for crowds up to 600 people with just a single setup, and I've never had any complaints that the volume was too low, etc.

So my "conversion" was from Bose® to Bose®!!!

🙂
zanesvilledj
Registered since

Dec 31, 2009

I just converted to Bose in January 2010. I used to carry around JBL 115's & JBL 125's. I got tired of putting them up on the stands and carrying them all the time. I talked to my wife and I had remembered that when I was at the ADJA conference in Chicago in summer of 2009 that I had seen these Bose speakers and they blew me away. After the show that night Dr. Drax (ADJA Pres) let the Bose rep take about 5 of us in the hall to showcase the Bose to us. We were blown away! We walked all over that huge room and the sound was amazing. We even walked out the doors & 100' down the hallway and they still sounded great. I was sold but the cost was way to much for me. One sunday after a wedding reception I woke up and my back was killing me, I looked at my wife and ask her if she wanted to take a drive? We left out of Zanesville and drove one hour to Columbus and ended up at Guitar Center. I had sold her all the way there so once we got there and she heard them she told me to go ahead(Yea!). I purchased two L1 M1's and 4 B1's. I have only had the opportunity to do one event with them and it was awesome. I set up on the stage and placed one L1 and two B1's on the dance floor directly in front of me. I had to keep walking down on the dance floor to check the sound because I could barely hear it by being behind it! This will also help save my ears! I had three different people come up to me when I was tearing down and they were complimenting the sound and could not believe that all that sound was coming from one little stick. One of them had been a DJ for 25 years at the beginning of the show he wanted to know where my speakers where? I showed him the L1 and he started laughing and ask me where the rest of my speakers where, well at the end of the night he came up and could not believe that the L1 put out that much sound. I am very happy with the sound and the ease of setup and the light weight. I will never go back to any other speakers again.