Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 4, 2008

Bose l1 Pro with Tonematch Mixers (T1, T4s, T8s)

Can you use the analogue inputs on the L1 Pro and the digital connection input from the Tonematch mixers at the same time?

Jim S.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bose l1 Pro with Tonematch Mixers (T1, T4s, T8s)

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Dylan_R

Hi all,

Regarding T1 compatibility with the L1 Pro systems: The architecture of the T1 ToneMatch differs from that of the T4S and T8S ToneMatch mixers, and is not compatible with the L1 Pro’s S/PDIF audio architecture.

The T1 ToneMatch is based on S/PDIF, but with a proprietary connection for legacy L1 products which allows them to carry other data such as firmware updates. The T4S and T8S ToneMatch mixers use an updated version of ToneMatch protocol, which is compatible with with legacy L1 products, but also fully compatible with S/PDIF. Since the L1 Pro architecture is designed to use standard S/PDIF protocol, the T1 ToneMatch cannot communicate the same way and is unable to send audio via the ToneMatch port.

Although the T1 ToneMatch is unable to send audio it can still receive power from an L1 Pro system via the ToneMatch port. In order for the the L1 Pro system to receive audio, users of the T1 ToneMatch would need to connect the analog main out of the T1 to an available input on the L1 Pro system.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 20, 2006

From my understanding, yes. The t4 or t8 would add more inputs, but you could still use all of the inputs on the l1pro as well. You can even use the Bluetooth, 1/4" and 1/8" on channel 3 at the same time. 

I don't see anything that says the T1 works with the L1 pro's

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

The T1 powers up ok with the L1 Pro but you have to use a  separate cable from the main out of the T1 to one of the input channels 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 4, 2008

Thanks for the replies. Looks promising.

Surprised that the T1 does not digitally connect to the L1 Pro. (Wouldn't expect the T1 to figure in the Bose documentation, since Bose don't market the T1 anymore.)

Jim S.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 16, 2018

Disappointing the original tone match t1 only powers up with the new Bose l1 pro’s. 
And doesn’t control it?

surely all the digital ports are the same?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 18, 2017

T1

How can one KNOW the T1 is only powered by the Pro, and no digital audio is transferred.  I've seen no reference to this.   The digital audio would be on the same pins across the T mixer line since the T1, 4 and 8 all work with the M2.   How would they be able to configure the pro to not receive the audio from the T1 since all the pins match up.  If the PRO does NOT take the digital audio, I won't be buying it, as it's more or less extortion to buy the T4 or T8

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

Re: T1

Because I've got two T1's and the new l1 Pro 8 and it doesn't work on mine, but they work fine on my L1 Mk2. Probably why Bose didn't mention the T1 when they said it worked with the 4a and 8a mixers.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

Sorry I mean T4s and T8s

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 20, 2006

I don't pretend to know the reason the T1 won't work with the new L1 pro series, but I find it difficult to believe they did it to make people buy the T4s or T8s. 

I think they would sell more new pro units is the T1 would have worked with it. Spending time to make sure it doesn't wouldn't be an effective use of time. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 18, 2017

You have the new system already??... I was told January, 2021