Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer with S1 Pro

Hi I thinking of buying the Boss VE-8 acoustic to use with my Bose s1 pro ,I was told that I need to connect the VE-8  using standard XLR cables into one of the inputs on the S1 or do I need to connect it using the line out on the Pro? ..and if so what type of cable ,size etc do I need ?.

Complete ignoramus in these matter I'm afraid to say ...thanks in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer with S1 Pro

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.  Thanks for the interesting question.

Summary

• You will connect the microphone and guitar directly to the Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer.
  • You will connect the output(s) of the Boss VE-8 to the S1 Pro.
  • You won't use the S1 Pro Line Out.

We have article that covers this in more detail here:

Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer to Bose S1 Pro

Please see the article for more details.

Highlights from the article.

Connections to the Boss VE-8

Connection from the Boss VE-8 to the S1 Pro (simple version)

This is the simplest connection from the Boss VE-8 to the S1 Pro. It requires just one cable.

XLR connection for connections longer than 20 feet (6 meters)

Boss VE-8 to S1 Pro XLR

OR you can use an ordinary 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve cable (guitar cable). This should be fine if the cable is less than 20 feet (6 meters).

Boss VE-8 to S1 Pro

Here are notes about how you will set up the S1 Pro input.

S1 Pro from Boss VE-8 Simple

There are several options on the Boss VE-8 but if the cable from the Boss VE-8 to the S1 Pro is less than 20 feet (6 meters)  or you are running two S1 Pros in stereo, the connection above should be fine.

You won't use the S1 Pro Line Out.

Does that help?
ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Yes, take one of the VE8 XLR outputs to one of the S1’s channels NOT the S1 line out. Line out is only used when you want the output of the S1 to go to another source like a front of house PA. The VE8 is an input device for the S1.

Couple of other items. I’m assuming you’ll be using a single S1. A single S1 is a mono device not stereo, so you can pan all your sound to either (L)eft or (R)ight if using a single out from the VE8.  The simplest connection would be either L or R XLR out from the VE8 into a single S1 channel. 

Since an S1 can handle 2 inputs, you could take the L sound into one S1 channel and the R sound to the other channel from the VE8. Perhaps put vocals into L and guitar into R and you could use the EQ on the S1 to fine tune the sound sources separately. That gets a bit more involved, so you may want to start simply and just take one output from the VE8 into the S1. Then experiment later.

Since you are using the VE8 for all your sound effects, you may want to turn off those effects on the S1 like Reverb or the ToneMatch setting. Again, to keep things simple where you just go to a single source to fiddle with EQ and effects settings.

Eventually, you may want to experiment with settings on both devices to see what sounds best to your ears. For me, I hate to fiddle around with settings on multiple devices especially when having to quickly setup for a live gig. But that’s a subjective choice. 

Hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Thanks ST and CityFolk, great clear  answers, much appreciated