Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Buzz or Humming

Hi, I recently bought two L1 system to replace my JBL system. It's smaller and much more portable. However, I have an issue with cables. I noticed on both units, when I used unbalance/mono cables plugged into the input, the unit buzz/hum loudly as I increase the volume. Balance cables were fine. Has anyone run into this problem? Any suggestions to work with this problem. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Re: Buzz or Humming

Sorry, I just joined the forum and I have not read other posts regarding this issue.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

Paul posted:

Hi, I recently bought two L1 system to replace my JBL system. It's smaller and much more portable. However, I have an issue with cables. I noticed on both units, when I used unbalance/mono cables plugged into the input, the unit buzz/hum loudly as I increase the volume. Balance cables were fine. Has anyone run into this problem? Any suggestions to work with this problem. Thanks in advance.

You've answered your own question. Use balanced cables for connections to any of the L1/F1/S1 products. They all have balanced inputs.

You can also check out these articles.

However, if using balanced cables alleviates your problem, then you've found the best solution. Besides, a balanced connection will generally give you a better signal-to-noise ratio and greater resistance to line noise.

I'm glad you joined us.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 19, 2019

Thanks for the response. However, I have a 100 foot snake that has 4 mono/unbalance returns. How can I compensate to make it work? Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Paul,

Paul posted:

Thanks for the response. However, I have a 100 foot snake that has 4 mono/unbalance returns.

A 100-foot unbalanced cable to connect to the input of a powered loudspeaker is a 100-foot antenna for noise.

How can I compensate to make it work? Any suggestions?

There's not a lot you can do to compensate for that except make sure the snake does not pass near any power cables. But that may not make a difference.

I'd replace the unbalanced cables with balanced cables. You can get 100-foot 1/4 balanced cables for under $60.00

ST