cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabyindia
Registered since

Mar 31, 2010

Can Bose L1 cater to my need?

I am a musician/singer/motivational speaker in Chennai, India.
I work among High School and university students on a daily basis taking my Value Education/Counseling/Social Ethics/Motivational Program titled "DESTINATION:EXCELLENCE" which is taking our city schools by storm and becoming a big hit among Chennai's Teens.
I couple Music with Teaching in all my sessions.

I presently own a conventional PA that I carry with me for my programs.
> Alesis iMultimix mixer w iPod dock
> Yamaha S910 Arranger Keyboard
> Laptop Audio in (for video presentations & BG music)
> 1 Shure BETA58 mic for Singing (for myself)
> 3 Shure SM58 mics for backing vocalists.
> Countryman Headset via Shure Wireless for Speech.
> Mackie SRM450 pair (For larger audiences)
> dB Technologies 820 pair (For smaller audiences).

- The crowds that I sing/speak to varies from 100 - 750.
- Room sizes vary from a 30'x50' hall to a 750 seat auditorium.
- Though most of the classes happen indoor, at times due to space restrictions the classes also happen outdoors (like an assembly ground)
- I play Music Accompaniment from my Arranger Keyboard and sing.
- Crowd sings along most of the time.
- Crowds comprise mainly of teenagers who love nice music and great sound.
- When I speak on Countryman Headset...sound must be audible, clear and loud.

So far the present system that I own have been doing fine...
But I have issues with transportation and setup time...

Will L1 system cater to my need? If yes, Can you recommend the best setup for my need?
3 REPLIES 3
joe-at-bose
Registered since

Apr 22, 2004

Re: Can Bose L1 cater to my need?

Gaby India,
Thank you for posting. For your setup I would recommend an L1 Model I or L1 Model IIw/ a T1 Tonematch Engine. For your larger gigs I would recommend an additional L1 Model 1 or L1 Model II. Because these systems are extremely portable and take less setup time I believe that they can work for you. Please see our home page to get a sense of the differences between the systems. Thanks,
Dapo
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

Hello,

I'm a middle school teacher from Colorado. I'm organizing a meeting in the school classroom (it's rather large and the echo is huge). Should the setup include 2 L1 Compact systems then? I thought about 2 L1 Model II systems + 4 B1 Bass Modules. How do I know the sound will be good (and optimal)?

Thanks,

Dani

<<<< Bose in school audirotiums / meeting rooms >>>>
https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable-PA/L1-s-for-an-auditorium-meeting-room https://essaytyper.pro online editor

Seagullman
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

@Dapo 

Hi Dapo, welcome to the forum.

Let me say one thing before I get to replying to your questions. It can sometimes get confusing when posing questions about your own problems on an existing thread. On the old forum it was always better to start a new thread with a new problem. That way the forum members could deal specifically with the one problem and the member posing the question didn't have to sift through the extra information to get to his/her answers. I don't know how the new moderators view this. I'm still trying to feel my way around the new forum. Anyway that's just my view on the matter. It may help with future posts/questions you may have.

Now to your questions:

@Dapo wrote:

Hello,

I'm a middle school teacher from Colorado. I'm organizing a meeting in the school classroom (it's rather large and the echo is huge).

Unfortunately you've not given any indication as to how large the room is. Whether or not it's all on one level. If the room is square, rectangular or maybe even L-shaped, or if  there's a sort of stage where the speakers will be placed. These factors can be important when trying to work out which system will function best, and how many units may be needed.

L1 Compact systems only have the top of the columns containing 6 loudspeaker drivers.

nominal dispersion 180° H x 40° V.  This means that the sound disperses over 180° in the horizontal plane (parallel to the floor) and 40° vertically (up/down). 

L1 Model II systems have a nominal dispersion of  195° H x 0° V. this means that the sound disperses over 195° in the horizontal plane, but has absolutely no dispersion in the vertical plane. 

Why is this important you may ask? 

You can set up a Compact system on a stage and due to to the 40° vertical dispersion pattern the sound will be also directed downwards so the an audience sitting more than a few feet away will be able to hear it.

A Model II however with its 0° vertical dispersion poses problems when set on higher stages. Depending on how high the stage is, a seated audience may have problems hearing because the soudwaves are basically traveling over their heads.

A Model II will "throw" the sound further than a Compact. This is due to a number of factors. The Model II has 24 drivers which means that the Line Array bundling of the sound waves is more intensive and therefore can carry further. The Model II also has more power than a Compact.

Should the setup include 2 L1 Compact systems then? I thought about 2 L1 Model II systems + 4 B1 Bass Modules.

You don't say what sort of meeting this will be. If it's going to be mainly narrative (just talking) and the room is square/rectangular I would probably opt for a single Model II with 1 B1 bass module. For vocals I can't see the need for massive bass response. I've usually found that a second Model II isn't needed for this type of usage and depending on how people set up a dual system it can lead to phase/frequency cancelling. An L1 system placed fairly near, and in the middle one of the walls will cover the whole room evenly. Depending on the size of the room a Compact may be enough to do the job. I'm lucky and have both. The Compact is lighter, takes up less room and is easier to set up. The Modell II carries the sound further.

Both systems, due to their dispersion patterns are better then conventional loudspeaker systems in "lively" surroundings. By that I mean rooms with echo/reverberation problems. A Model II is usually better here because of the 0° vertical dispersion.

If you have the chance to test both systems I'd do it. Then you'll hear for yourself which system will better suit your needs.

How do I know the sound will be good (and optimal)?

There's no guarantees here. What I can say, however is that the sound will be clearer than using conventional loudspeaker systems because there will be less bouncing off the walls, floor and ceiling. For me one of the main advantages of the L1 systems is that the sound level  falls off much less quickly over distance than conventional loudspeaker systems. This means that to be heard at the back/sides of a room the volume doesn't have to be really loud at the loudspeaker itself.

Thanks,

Dani

You're more than welcome. I hope that this (rather long) post has been of some help. What I haven't covered here is the possible need for a mixer depending on exactly what you'll be needing to amplify.

Take care in these difficult times.

Tony

<<<< Bose in school audirotiums / meeting rooms >>>>
https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable-PA/L1-s-for-an-auditorium-meeting-room https://essaytyper.pro online editor