Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2005

Can T4 earphone jack safely power S1Pro Aux input?

I'd like to try using the headphone jack in the T4S for monitor output (to aux in on S1Pro) because I expect it to be the same mix as going out the mains, but with its own volume control handy right above the Master volume on the T4S. 

The manual warns "Headphone Jack - for use with headphones only, with a minimum impedance of 24 ohms".  Since the S1Pro aux in handles earphone connection from other devices, is it suitable for connection from the headphone jack of the T4S?

Thanks,

- Jim M

8 REPLIES 8
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Can T4 earphone jack safely power S1Pro Aux input?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the interesting question.

Yes, this works exactly as you expected. T4S headphone output to S1 Pro Channel 3 Aux input with a separate control of the level using the headphone volume control.

ST

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Have you tried this, @ST? I'm just curious as to why Bose specified headphones only. Things that come to mind would be issues like phantom voltage on the receiving electronics or grounding issues. I do use the headphone out of a battery powered Behringer 1002B mixer into the 1/8" channel 3 input of my Bose S1 Pro with great results. This is in no way intended to negate your reply. I do not yet own a T4S or T8S, but do own a T1 and Bose L1 2 and B2, so I'm researching the newer ToneMatch mixers. 

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Ric,

Yes, I tried this. It sounds great.

Bose specified headphones only so people won't connect passive loudspeakers to the headphone jack.

ST

Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2005

Just a follow-up - Played a ban dance this past Saturday night, and it worked perfectly.  

Three member band against a wall, One L1 on each side, T4S with each instrument (4) panned fully left or fully right, phone jack out to S1 Pro 3rd channel input, aimed across the band members as a monitor. T4S phones volume used to adjust the monitor volume during the gig.

Thanks,

- Jim M

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update. It's great to know the T4S headphone jack to the S1 Pro channel 3 input worked for you.

ST

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jim,

Thanks for using the Sketcher. Here is your Sketch.

T4S, 2 T1s, 1 S1 Pro, 3 performers, 4 instruments

1 - patricia, - SM58, alternates between flute, fiddle, percussion, panned to L1 to her right
2 - sue - SM58 on low mic stand - banjo - panned to L1 near Patricia
3 - sue - SM58 on higher mic stand - fiddle and vocal - panned to L1 on guitar side
4 - jim - guitar direct in - panned to L1 on guitar side,

S1 Pro channel 3 fed from headphone out of T4S, S1 Pro on floor in its upward, leaning back position (like performances, not like monitors) - aimed to send sound across entire band - primary purpose to help position 1 hear the guitar better.

Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

What type of chord from the headphone jack to the S1?  Stereo, mono?

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

I use stereo, @Willy Martin , but I have not tried a mono chord.