Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 6, 2019

Clarify the rear panel signal/clip and limit lights?

Just trying to understand...

I have an F1 main connected to the F1 sub.

For a first round of tests, I plugged my iPad into the Main, RCA jacks on Input 2. With the volume on the main input 2 all the way down and the volume on the iPad all the way up, there was a low volume audio coming from the speaker, which I understand to be normal (though to me it seems like a weird thing, why can't it just be silent with the volume all the way down?).

At this point there was no green signal/clip light at all -- it was just black. So in this sense it doesn't seem to reflect the strength of the incoming signal, which I had set to max output.

Turning up the Vol. 2 input, the audio got louder and the green light started to come on. By about 9 o'clock on the dial it was loud enough that it was really hard to stand that close to the speaker. Supposedly I can turn it up until I get it to flicker red for a few seconds, but so far I haven't been able to get that to happen. The manual says to turn it up until you see some red bars but in order to do that it would be unbelievably loud (I think) -- it's crazy loud just turning it up enough to get a fairly constant green band.

Likewise, the sub volume seems to be tied to how loud I turn up the main, and I see the green light on the sub less frequently as it flashes black to green (though it is fully black when the volume is all the way down on the main).

I also tested this by plugging my Ipad through a Behringer mixer and had similar responses from the Bose systems after setting the levels to below clipping on my mixer.

Does that sound like everything is working right?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Clarify the rear panel signal/clip and limit lights?

Hi TommyG2019,

Short answer: Yes, it sounds like everything is working fine.

TommyG2019 posted:

Just trying to understand...

I have an F1 main connected to the F1 sub.

For a first round of tests, I plugged my iPad into the Main, RCA jacks on Input 2. With the volume on the main input 2 all the way down and the volume on the iPad all the way up, there was a low volume audio coming from the speaker, which I understand to be normal (though to me it seems like a weird thing, why can't it just be silent with the volume all the way down?).

I know it seems weird, but you're right - it's working as designed.

At this point there was no green signal/clip light at all -- it was just black. So in this sense it doesn't seem to reflect the strength of the incoming signal, which I had set to max output.

Turning up the Vol. 2 input, the audio got louder and the green light started to come on. By about 9 o'clock on the dial it was loud enough that it was really hard to stand that close to the speaker. Supposedly I can turn it up until I get it to flicker red for a few seconds, but so far I haven't been able to get that to happen. The manual says to turn it up until you see some red bars but in order to do that it would be unbelievably loud (I think) -- it's crazy loud just turning it up enough to get a fairly constant green band.

There's a lot of latitude for different signal inputs (strengths). It's okay if you can't get the input to clip (solid red light). If you can get things loud enough for your purposes, everything is fine.

Likewise, the sub volume seems to be tied to how loud I turn up the main, and I see the green light on the sub less frequently as it flashes black to green (though it is fully black when the volume is all the way down on the main).

Yes, that's the way the F1 Model 812 and F1 Subwoofer are supposed to work together.

I also tested this by plugging my Ipad through a Behringer mixer and had similar responses from the Bose systems after setting the levels to below clipping on my mixer.

Does that sound like everything is working right?

It sounds like everything is fine.

Cheers,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 26, 2019

Re: Clarify the rear panel signal/clip and limit lights?

You said you had the iPad all the way up (100%).  Try testing it with the iPad at half volume (50%) and see if that is a better mix.