paradis
Registered since

May 1, 2008

Combining Model II and Compact for stereo setup

Hello, I own both the L1 model II and the L1 Compact. I have to say that I think I'm aware of the differences in projection between these two. How do you look upon combining them in stereo, for small room use, using one of the new mixers? What are the traps? Will the near-field sound level be about equal between them? I'm especially thinking about using them as a stereo onstage set in small theatres, where we're monitoring ourselves, making everything sound OK, and then send the stereo mix out the main board (where they might add in a bit of the house system, using our mix, for extra width). It certainly worked very well that way with a mono (T1) setup, but adding the extra width and panorama would be nice.

2 REPLIES 2
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Combining Model II and Compact for stereo setup

Hi paradis,

When you say stereo, do you mean you've got pre-recorded music tracks that were produced in stereo or something else?

paradis posted:

Hello, I own both the L1 model II and the L1 Compact. I have to say that I think I'm aware of the differences in projection between these two. How do you look upon combining them in stereo, for small room use, using one of the new mixers?I

Is this a musical production, a band, a theatre performance?

Are you going to put the systems on the sides of the stage, at the back or in the wings? 

How many performers will be on stage?

Will the performers be moving around or stationary?

What are the traps?

If you're a band using the two systems as monitors (not using them to project out to the audience), pan each sound source to (only) one L1®.  And if possible, put the L1®s behind the band.

Will the near-field sound level be about equal between them?

How big is the stage? How far apart will you have the L1®s?

I'm especially thinking about using them as a stereo onstage set in small theatres,

This statement is why I'm asking about the nature of your show.

where we're monitoring ourselves, making everything sound OK, and then send the stereo mix out the main board (where they might add in a bit of the house system, using our mix, for extra width). It certainly worked very well that way with a mono (T1) setup, but adding the extra width and panorama would be nice.

Please fill in the blanks and we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

ST

@paradis

paradis
Registered since

May 1, 2008

Re: Combining Model II and Compact for stereo setup

Hi ST, thanks for your detailed questions. 

ST posted:

Hi paradis,

When you say stereo, do you mean you've got pre-recorded music tracks that were produced in stereo or something else

paradis posted:

Hello, I own both the L1 model II and the L1 Compact. I have to say that I think I'm aware of the differences in projection between these two. How do you look upon combining them in stereo, for small room use, using one of the new mixers?I

Is this a musical production, a band, a theatre performance?

This is a basically a rather simple setup for a singing duo. Two guys, one stereo guitar (which at this time sounds only in mono due to the mono nature of out T1 setup). We're both singing. Occasionally we're both playing guitar. No recorded tracks

Recently I lent the L1 Compact to another duo, which also played a small venue. They used the Compact as their only amplification. I noticed that their sound was very good, but very 'mono'. That's why I thought about getting extra width using two systems (and a T4S, which I do not own yet). I'd like to pan our vocals, but keep the guitar in the middle (which can then in fact be be stereo). The others guy's guitar would be mixed off centre.   

Are you going to put the systems on the sides of the stage, at the back or in the wings? 

How many performers will be on stage?

Will the performers be moving around or stationary?

We used a Compact centerstage right behind us, also projecting towards the audience (tilted). We're stationary performers. Our T1 mix was sent to the house board, and softly supported by the house system.  

What are the traps?

If you're a band using the two systems as monitors (not using them to project out to the audience), pan each sound source to (only) one L1®.  And if possible, put the L1®s behind the band.

Will the near-field sound level be about equal between them?

How big is the stage? How far apart will you have the L1®s?

I would say about 10-13 feet (3-4 metres)

By using just one L1, we were able to mix our vocals and guitar very well. When using two, with panned signals, will this work as well? We don't have a lot of gigs, and no time to experiment, so that's why I'm asking in order to be better prepared.

I'm especially thinking about using them as a stereo onstage set in small theatres,

This statement is why I'm asking about the nature of your show.

where we're monitoring ourselves, making everything sound OK, and then send the stereo mix out the main board (where they might add in a bit of the house system, using our mix, for extra width). It certainly worked very well that way with a mono (T1) setup, but adding the extra width and panorama would be nice.

Please fill in the blanks and we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

ST

@paradis