Tom Munch
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Re: Compact Bass Extension>Yes or No>?> How?> $?

I've been reading this thread & contemplating other ideas for changing the EQ of the B1 with the A1. If it was me I would probably use a graphic equalizer or parametric equalizer & turn down all the frequencies above where I wanted the B1 to sound instead of a crossover. There a lot of small EQ's around that are fairly inexpensive. Just run it before the A1.

Tom
jdbassentertain
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Dynamite here is an idea (not saying it's a good one mind you), I don't know how it would sound or even if you would want to go this route.

I'm sure this is not authorized by Bose so I'm issuing a disclaimer right now.

I found this at Parts Express,- Passive Xover - it's a passive crossover that would go between the Packlite and the B1. You could mount it inside the B1. The crossover is rated at 250 watts RMS & has a cut off at 100Hz to kill all the higher frequencies about that at a 12db slope.

I'm sure there are allot of fine non-passive Xovers out there, but if you want a passive one this is all I could dig up for you.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Jeremy

You've got it right. The Compact does have an integrated bass module in the base. It goes down to about 65 Hz. In contrast, the B1 when attached to an L1® goes down to about 40 Hz.

The sound you get from the Compact is well balanced (highs, mids, lows) for prerecorded as well music sources. The full sized L1®s are louder and they do not drop-off in volume over distance as quickly as the Compact. The full sized L1®s are designed to support bass expansion (by adding B1s). The Compact was not designed to support bass expansion.

This discussion is an exploration of ideas outside the design of the Compact.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy G.:
I must be way off here... I though the compact had a bass unit in the bottom already? Is that just the amp and stand for the speakers?
jgnelson
Registered since

Nov 22, 2003

I love the Compact for sure, but whenever I play a cd through it, I always miss the lower bass output that is present with the L1/B1 system.

I would love a sub to add to it that would be as simple as: Plug it into wall outlet and run a 1/4" cable between it and the Compact and presto, It would add the rest of the bottom end. Also put a level control on the sub so I could thin or thicken the bass depending on what I want/need. Please don't underpower the thing!
larrym_2
Registered since

Nov 29, 2005

You can use another compact without the extensions and array inserted. Line out of the 1st complete compact into the 2nd compact. Dial in the needed bass with the volume knob.

Bose could easily redesign the grill and eliminate the needed electronics for the extentions and array. You would have a matching powered bass module for your compact with adjustable volume control to tailor your sound to your application.

Best,

Larry M
Dan_Cornett
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by LarryM:
You can use another compact without the extensions and array inserted. Line out of the 1st complete compact into the 2nd compact. Dial in the needed bass with the volume knob...
Yes and no.

That would give more volume of what might be termed the mid-lo, but it would do nothing to address any source material (sound) in the range from ~40 to 65 Hz. That's roughly 3/4 of an octave. More precisely: 65Hz is roughly the C two octaves down from middle C on the piano; 40Hz is roughly the E below that. I have personally heard those "cutoffs" when using an electronic pipe organ through either the Model 1+B1's or the Compact.

In the nice frequency chart (previously pointed out elsewhere on this site), the Compact covers nearly all of what that chart calls the "Bass" range, whereas the B1 extends part way into the Sub-Bass range.

The idea I read being discussed is how to extend the Compact -- with external "things" -- to get substantial "Sub-Bass" volume.

Some of those ideas include using an A1 (Packlite) and B1 which some folks might already have in their possession.
Dan_Cornett
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

This all got me re-looking at some 'bookmarks' I had noted in some browsing regarding sub-woofers, but hadn't looked a closely. My interest was focused on sub-woofers in the same price, power, and weight range as one PackLite (A1) amp and B1 speaker (one or two) .... there were a fair number but two stood out in the few sites I looked at: they had the price of roughly an A1 + 1 B1, similar RMS power as two B1's, not much heavier than one B1 (34-36 lbs), but substantially lower frequency range (~20 Hz, vs 40 for the B1) -- and variable cross-over (18db/octave). They ARE intended for home use ... so they are not in road-worthy enclosures -- keep that in mind!

I've not tried them -- just to perhaps save someone a bit of "research" time:

Energy S10.3
tSc T300
ronralph
Registered since

Dec 10, 2005

I'm guessing you guys have absolutely nothing better to do other than try to reinvent the wheel. The L1C is what it is. If you want more bass, then just use an L1 M1 or L1 M2. Geeze!!
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

I own a Model II with 2 B1's and also a compact. Yes there is a difference. However I have yet to have a customer come up and say that they didn't like the sound from the compact. We know there is a difference, but the customer hears that great Bose sound and is very pleased. Guess it's all in what pleases your ears.
atlantadj
Registered since

Jun 8, 2009

On the same line, can they redesign the B1 so that we get the same output or more from one cabinate that we do right now from two B1's. It could also be smaller and lighter than 2 B1's. How sweet would that be. Maybe make it a size that the L1 base could sit on! Redesign the MB4 to work with the L1. What do you think?