Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drwaido
Participant
Registered since

Oct 12, 2021

Conncting L1 Classic to a mixer

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  I have 2 L1 Classic speakers.  In the past I have connected my mixer to the speakers and used them as my mains/monitors.  I now find myself needing to use my Bose as my keyboard amp/monitor and running from my Bose  tower to main mixer.

My unit has a line out for both channels 1 and 2.  It also has an Amp 1 and Amp 2 out.  As I will be running a keyboard into line 1 and another into line 2, do I simply use the line out of each of those channels to separate channels of the mixer?

Also, what are the Amp 1 and Amp 2 used for?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Fish-54
Mentor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2010

Re: Conncting L1 Classic to a mixer

Hello drwaido,

The Line Outs 1 and 2 are tapped right after the preamps for channels 1 and 2, but before the signals are sent to the Digital Signal Processor.  (The DSP is where the ToneMatch presets and any EQ are applied, then sent to the three onboard amplifiers in an L1 Classic.)  So, the signals from the Line Outs 1 and 2 are flat, line-level signals with no ToneMatch presets or EQ.  They were designed to allow you to send a separate feed to a house or recording mixer, which is what you are doing.

Since those signals are pumped up to line-level, you'll be sending a stronger signal to your mixer than if you went directly from your keyboards to the mixer.  If you run XLR-XLR cables, you may need inline XLR -20db pads to avoid overloading your mixer's inputs (your mixer may already have the on-board ability to pad signals coming into the XLR jacks. If not, see If your mixer supports 1/4" line-level inputs so you can  use XLR-1/4" cables.)

The Amp 1 and Amp 2 outs are speaker-level outputs.  The L1 Classic has three 250W amplifiers -- one for the top tower section, one for the bottom tower section, and one for the bass module(s).  You'll notice that the Classic also has several other jacks: "Amp 1 In", "Amp 2 In", "Amp 3 In", and "All Amps In", as well as a "Bass - Line OUT".  This gave the user all kinds of confusing options!  Using the "Amp In's" bypassed all preamps and DSP and fed the amps directly.  If you connected the "Bass - Line OUT" of one Classic to the "All Amps In" of a second Classic, then removed the tower sections completely, you could connect up to six B1 Bass Modules! (two to "Amp 1 Out", two to "Amp 2 Out", and two to the "B1 Bass Module - Amp 3 Out".  All this along with two more connected to your first Classic!)  This is explained in the Bose Professional Portable PA Encyclopedia in L1 Classic - Power Stand Connections.

Does that help?