cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
commonstupid
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Connect S1 Pro to L1 Compact to get Stereo Signal?

Hi,

I own a L1 Compact and plan to purchase a S1 Pro. I also use a T1 ToneMatch to feed the L1 Compact. As far as I know T1 only feeds a Mono Signal.

My question would now be how can I connect the L1 Compact to the S1 Pro to get a Stereo Signal? It does not have to be via the T1. I just want to play background music (Spotify) from a portable device in Stereo on the two speakers.

Thanks,

Andi

8 REPLIES 8
Jeff_K
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Re: Connect S1 Pro to L1 Compact to get Stereo Signal?

Short answer is: you can't. The T1, Compact and S1 are all mono. If you had a stereo mixer output you could split it to the S1 and L1.

Longer answer: you could split the music player output to two channels, route the right output's channel out the T1 Main Output to the S1, and route the left output's channel out the T1 Aux Output to the Compact. However, you would have to route the Aux in Post so you would retain EQ capability or you'd have one side EQ'd and the other not, plus it would let you control both left and right playback channel via faders.

Philosophical answer: Why??? The only time that live stereo buys you anything is if everyone in the audience is under the equal coverage of said left and right speakers configured in equal configuration. They don't even do this in live touring concerts; everything is run in mono or dual mono (same thing to both sides but you can pan to effect, like maybe a ping pong echo solo guitar solo). You're trying to use 2 different speakers to cover one large area where the only people who would have any chance of hearing both left and right sides of the playback track would have to be equally centered between and distanced from the two speakers. Due to the different coverage patterns of the S1 and L1, there might be one or two people in the correct spot to hear any semblance of "stereo"...and they probably wouldn't even notice.

Just plug your Pandora into Ch 4/5 so it can properly combine the left and right channels to send to both speakers equally so everyone can properly hear the playback music. Otherwise you'll have a Pink Floyd track playing and someone on the left side of the room's going to be wondering where that David Gilmore solo went that they were just getting ready to "air guitar" to

Hope this helps,
Jeff

commonstupid
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Hi,

thanks for the reply. To your "philosophical" answer. Stereo is mainly thought to be used for home usage in the basement for my own listening experience. It´s funny that you mention PF, because they are my favorite of "rotary" sounds and this is really what I like.

However, it seems that maybe the L1 needs to go for 2 S1 which could be paired to stereo.

Thanks,

Andi

commonstupid
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Maybe a related question to that: If I use 2 S1 and plug in guitar & microphone to 1 S1. Will it be possible to send the signal via bluetooth to the 2nd S1 so that I get "double mono"?

Jeff_K
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Heheh, Floyd fans unite!

I'll defer to the more S1 tech-savvy, but although you can now sync two Bose S1's together with recent firmware and connect a Bluetooth music player to one so that it will play on both, I don't think you can split left and right playback channels to left and right speakers so it'd be a mono mix on each. Still, pretty slick. See Bose post How to connect two s1 speakers together for more info.

For the "home stereo" type use, it would probably be easiest to pick up a dedicated Bluetooth receiver like Logitech's $40 Bluetooth adapter, which has dual RCA outputs, and then run an RCA to 1/4" TS cable to each speaker to get true stereo.

Regarding sending the guitar and vocals to both, your only option is to connect the two S1's with a TRS cable (S1-A output to S1-B input). See S1 Pro Daisy Chain for more info.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

commonstupid
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Hi,

Are you talking about this device?

https://www.amazon.de/Logitech...chwarz/dp/B00IRCDT7Y

The Logitech Solution would also work with S1 and L1, correct?

I assume I would need two cables:

• 1 red RCA to 1/4" TS 
  • 1 black RCA to 1/4" TS 

I don´seem to find such cables. Do you have an example for me?

Thanks,

Andi

commonstupid
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Jeff_K
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Andi,
Yep, that's the Logitech receiver I have in our church gym, pretty darn good range on it (~50ft). And the Sweetwater cables are the type you would need. Probably want longer than 5' though, although you could Velcro that sucker to the case of one of the speakers and use a short cable there, then a longer one to run to the other speaker. Anything up to about 25' should be fine with unbalanced audio as long as you're not running it over something with a lot of AC or RF field around it (i.e. anything with a power transformer in it, wall warts, high powered electrical cables, etc).

Jeff

commonstupid
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Thanks, Jeff.