Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Connecting a phantom powered condenser mic to to Yamaha Tyros 5

I have a Yamaha Tyros 5 that I run thru the Bose T1 tone match. The Keyboard has an XLR mic connection with no phantom power. I would like to use a condenser mic that needs phantom power. I would love to record using the harmonies on the keyboard. Now is it possible to connect and run the mic thru the input on Ch 1 with phantom power on the T1 tone match and run the out from ch1 to the keyboard would that work ?

cheers!

Mal

6 REPLIES 6
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Re: Connecting a phantom powered condenser mic to to Yamaha Tyros 5

Hi Mal,i also have a Tyros 5,i have not as yet seen any replies to your post.In the last few months i purchased a Bose PA L1 model 2 with B2 bass bin & T4s tone match mixer..I play Midi Accordion connected to the Tyros 5 & my vocals are plugged into the mixer,yes i would like to also plug the mic into the Tyros & then into the mixer,but as yet have never tried..The only channels on the T4s i use are channel 1 for the mic & one lead from the Tyros into channel 2..I am certainly not hot on experimental things like this,i am always worried about causing damage,,but yes i wouldn't mind giving it a go and use vocal harmony on my voice..I would be grateful if you could keep me up to date & if you have further worthwhile developments,thanks in advance..GIDEON south west Cornwall UK 

Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Hi Gideon,

You can plug a dynamic mic into the tyros 5 mic input and run the output from the keyboard to ch4. You could use a foot pedal to shift between vocal and harmonies. My question was connecting a condenser mic which requires phantom power. The tyros 5  as it does not have phantom power but the T1 tonematch does. I would connect the condenser mic to the tonematch Ch 1 and use the line out on ch 1 to the mic input on the Tyros 5 . While writing this I took the bold step and tried the condenser mic!! PROBLEM SOLVED!  I tried it and it works. If your using a condenser mic with phantom power make sureyou turn down the volume  and switch the phantom power is off, wait for around 20 seconds before you disconnect the mic from the cable, as there might be some electrical  power running thru the cable due to phantom power.

cheers!

Mal

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Mal, (musicmanmason),

musicmanmason posted:

I have a Yamaha Tyros 5 that I run thru the Bose T1 tone match. The Keyboard has an XLR mic connection with no phantom power. I would like to use a condenser mic that needs phantom power. I would love to record using the harmonies on the keyboard.

Now is it possible to connect and run the mic thru the input on Ch 1 with phantom power on the T1 tone match and run the out from ch1 to the keyboard would that work ?

From the Yamaha Tyros 5 Owners Manual

It looks like this should work

• Connect your microphone to the T1 Channel 1 XLR input
  • Turn on Phantom Power
  • Connect the T1 Channel 1 Preamp Output to the Tyros 5 microphone input using a 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve cable.
    • It's not clear if the Tyros 5 microphone input requires a 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable so if the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve cable is noisy you can try the 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable.
  • On the T1, set the input trim so you get a solid green light.
  • On the Tyros 5 set the input trim

That should get you going.

cheers!

Mal

Cheers!

ST

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Gideon,

Gideon posted:

Hi Mal,

i also have a Tyros 5,i have not as yet seen any replies to your post.In the last few months i purchased a Bose PA L1 model 2 with B2 bass bin & T4s tone match mixer..

I play Midi Accordion connected to the Tyros 5 & my vocals are plugged into the mixer,yes i would like to also plug the mic into the Tyros & then into the mixer,but as yet have never tried..

The only channels on the T4s i use are channel 1 for the mic & one lead from the Tyros into channel 2..I am certainly not hot on experimental things like this,i am always worried about causing damage,,but yes i wouldn't mind giving it a go and use vocal harmony on my voice..

I would be grateful if you could keep me up to date & if you have further worthwhile developments,thanks in advance..GIDEON south west Cornwall UK 

Your T4S is different from Mal's T1. The T4S does not have Preamp Outputs like the T1. However, you can connect a microphone to the T4S (e.g., channel 1). Then set up the Aux 1 output to send the microphone signal to the Tyros 5 microphone input.

Here are some notes about the

T4S Aux Outputs

[local image not available]
Click Image for more details.

ST

Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Hi ST,

Thanks for your reply and detailed explanation . I did try it out the with the Rode NT1-A Condenser mic and it sounded superb a notch up compared to the dynamic Mics I use. The harmonies were crystal clear.

Thank you for your help.

cheers!

Mal

Your reply has confirmed its safe and the right way to go about it. 

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Mal,

Thanks for coming back to tell us the T1 Preamp worked with the Tyros 5 microphone input. 

Enjoy the music!

ST

PS - We have a new article

ToneMatch Mixer Phantom Power to Tyros 5 Microphone Input