David_Hayes
Registered since

Apr 15, 2018

Connecting compact Bose with acoustic amp

Pleased  to join the Bose community!

I have just purchased the bose L1 compact,  and I'd like to know how to connect my aer acoustic amp to it, giving me a stereo sound.  I have  tried  using the "di out" xlr output on the aer with the  lower 1/4" jack input  on the bose , but to no avail. 

I play solo classical guitar at wedding receptions, and  the noise of 80 plus people all talking at once can completely drown me out. I figured  having  both amps working  would boost the sound so I would be still heard  above the chatter.

Any advise  you have will be gratefully received.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

10 REPLIES 10
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Connecting compact Bose with acoustic amp

Hi David,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community. I'm glad you're here.

Please give us a link to the manual for your AER amp.  It sounds like what you did should have worked, so I'd like to look into this in more detail.

Thanks,

ST

David_Hayes
Registered since

Apr 15, 2018

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi David,

I'm not sure why using the AER DI OUT isn't working for you. Did you adjust the DI-LEVEL?

Notes:

1. If you turn up the DI-level, and you still don't get any sound from the Compact, try connecting a 1/4" Tip-Sleeve cable (ordinary guitar cable) from the AER Line Out to L1 Compact Channel 2.
  2. If you can get the DI-out working consider using a XLR to 1/4 inch (6mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable to connect the AER to the L1® Compact Channel 2.

The XLR input (channel 1) on the L1® Compact is engineered to be used with a microphone not a line-level source like the DI-out from another amplifier. You won't break anything if you do, but the EQ voicing may not be optimal.

ST

David_Hayes
Registered since

Apr 15, 2018

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have turned up the di level on the aer -still nothing.  No joy with the line out with guitar cable either. There seems to be 2 last options: would using male to female xlr cable from the  di out on the aer to the microphone input on the compact work? or the red and white rca inputs on the compact to the corresponding inputs on the aer? I've also tried using  the compact as the main source and the aer  as the  secondary source,  but nothing has yet got the two amps working in unison. The di output on the aer has been used with house pa's recently, so I don't think it's faulty.                       

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi David,

When you use the AER DI-out to the L1 Compact - what input did you use on the L1 Compact?

ST

David_Hayes
Registered since

Apr 15, 2018

I used  the lower 1/4" jack input. Input no 2?   with the words Main Bal/Unbal written just below it. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi David,

AHA!

David Hayes posted:

I used  the lower 1/4" jack input. Input no 2?   with the words Main Bal/Unbal written just below it. 

That's an OUTPUT.

Please  connect the AER DI-Output or AER Line Out to L1® Compact Channel 2.

File:Compact Channel 2 Green.png

How does that work for you?

ST

David_Hayes
Registered since

Apr 15, 2018

It works! the normal guitar cable from the line out on the aer to the input on channel 2 does work. As does the left and right  outs from the aer. The di output from the aer to channnel two does not work however. Maybe  the cable is faulty. An xlr male to female also  works from the di output to the xlr microphone input on the compact ,   with some notable hiss  though. Which are the best connections to use?

Finally, my apologies for not knowing my inputs from my  outputs! I'd like to thank you for all your patience and the help you've given me. The bose is an amazing system  , and the stereo sound I now have is  very powerful indeed.      Thank  you again                                                

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi David,

Okay, mystery solved.

David Hayes posted:

It works! the normal guitar cable from the line out on the aer to the input on channel 2 does work. As does the left and right  outs from the aer.

If you're happy with the sound, pick whichever sounds best to you.

The di output from the aer to channnel two does not work however.

Does your cable look like this?

MagiDeal 6.35mm to Mic Adapter - 0.3 Meter 1/4'' TRS 6.5mm Stereo Jack Male to 3-Pin XLR Female Audio Adapter Speaker Microphone Cable Cord

That's an XLR Female to 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve.  Note the ends.

If your cable looks like this, then it should work.

Maybe  the cable is faulty. An xlr male to female also  works from the di output to the xlr microphone input on the compact ,   with some notable hiss  though. Which are the best connections to use?

We don't want to connect the AER to the L1® Compact Channel 1 (the XLR input).

If you are planning to separate the AER from the L1® Compact by more than 20 feet, the I would use a longer version of this cable.

MagiDeal 6.35mm to Mic Adapter - 0.3 Meter 1/4'' TRS 6.5mm Stereo Jack Male to 3-Pin XLR Female Audio Adapter Speaker Microphone Cable Cord

or use an ordinary microphone cable with a cable like the one above to make the conversion from XLR to 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve.

With a cable run greater than 20 feet, I would use a balanced connection if possible. That means connecting the AER DI (XLR) out to Compact Channel 2 (1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve)

Finally, my apologies for not knowing my inputs from my  outputs! I'd like to thank you for all your patience and the help you've given me. The bose is an amazing system  , and the stereo sound I now have is  very powerful indeed.      Thank  you again                                                

Happy to help David,

ST