cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

Cordless Mic feedback.

I was doing a bridal show yesterday and was asked to some anouncements. I was and received feed back as I was standing in front of the L1. I checked the battery, it was fine. I checked my levels, it was fine.

Any suggestons?
17 REPLIES 17
chuck-at-bose_2
Registered since

Nov 2, 2003

Re: Cordless Mic feedback.

Hi Tim,

When troubleshooting, the more detail the better. Is it possible for you to post the model number(s) for the wireless mic and/or receiver that you were using? Any other details that might be helpful, e.g. how far were you from the mic, preset used, etc.?

Chuck
tpryde3
Registered since

Mar 26, 2008

I use cordless mics (Countryman mostly), and I can tell you that there are a few things that can influence feedback. First, if you are using it, turn off compression, and be careful of your gain staging - proper gain staging can really make a difference.

Even so...more information about your particular situation would allow more specific advice.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

sounds like the trim on your mic receiver is too high. Or your trim on your mixer on the channel that your mic is on is too high. I have a Shure PGX sm58 that has no trim setting on the receiver but my Behringer 802 mixer has a trim control on the mic channel besides just the volume control on the channel itself.
Andy-at-Bose_UK
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 20, 2006

Hi Albany AMS,

A couple of other points to consider would be the sensitivity settings on the receiver (Sennheisers in particular could need these adjusting). The best settings I have found with Sennheisers is -20db.

Also with cheaper radio mic kits there is naturally some compromise in order to supply the whole package at a desired selling price. One of the more common changes made is to use a cheaper mic basket. This can result in a cheaper wired mic having a better pickup pattern than a more expensive unit.

Consequently, if you owned both you might say the radio mic was worse for feedback than the wired unit and be puzzled as to why this is given the radio unit was more expensive.

Enough of my yakkin', hope this helps.

Andy
davewinsor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2006

Any thoughts on how to combat feedback with this mic:

Sennheiser EW135 G2 UHF wireless. I'm going from receiver into a Behringer 802 with an XLR. Trim on the board is at 12:00. As I turn up the L1 for music (master on 802) , and don't immediately turn down the mic volume it ROARS. When I remember to turn down the mic, I have to start talking and ride the volume back up until I hit the hairy edge of feedback which seems like it's not all that loud.

Dave
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Dave, I plug my wireless and wired in channels 1 and 2 on the 802. I have the trim setting (the one closest to the wire that plugs into the input) really low, like on 1 or less. Then I'm able to crank the channel volume to get the loudness I need with no feedback at all.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Just to add, if your trim is on 12 it's way too high. That is why it is feeding back.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

these trims (http://www.adynamitedj.com/802.jpg ). Start with them turned all the way to the left. Put your channel volume on at 12 (noon). I put the main volume on 12 (noon).
davewinsor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2006

quote:
(http://www.adynamitedj.com/802.jpg

Howdy,

I'll give that a try.

Thanks,

Dave