cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

Re: Cordless Mic feedback.

I have a wireless Shure SM 58. I use the DJ Power for music, and of course the receiver from the wireless.

I'm not sure if I'm running too high on either, but tomorrow I will do a test run here at my office.

I do not run an extermnal mixer, never needed too.
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

I also have a shure wireless SM58. I have had it for about 5 years and have only had it feed back once and it was due to my gain staging being too high. I also , never place the mic between me and the Bose "stick". Never! IF I have to walk in front of the "stick" or any other PA speaker I always "shield" the mic by having it on the "outside' of me. Hope this helps.......but.....check your gain staging and the EQ reverb if you use it. Hope this helps!
Good Luck!
chuck-at-bose_2
Registered since

Nov 2, 2003

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the details. The SM58 capsule has a fairly wide pickup pattern (cardioid) compared to say a Beta 58 (supercardioid). Generally speaking, the latter will give you much more gain-before-feedback than the former. Still, with proper gain staging and a close-up mic technique, you should be able to get ample volume from your SM58...

How exactly is the wireless unit connected to your L1? Are you using the SM58 preset?
davidseel
Registered since

Apr 16, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Winsor:
Any thoughts on how to combat feedback with this mic:

Sennheiser EW135 G2 UHF wireless. I'm going from receiver into a Behringer 802 with an XLR. Trim on the board is at 12:00. As I turn up the L1 for music (master on 802) , and don't immediately turn down the mic volume it ROARS. When I remember to turn down the mic, I have to start talking and ride the volume back up until I hit the hairy edge of feedback which seems like it's not all that loud.

Dave

Go buy an 845 capsule for your mic and chuck away the 835. This is what I did and have never looked back. The 845 is super cardiod and therefore is much more directional resulting in less feeback problems. If you had a mixer with mid frequency sweep, you can generally find the feedback frequency and eq it out to give you more headroom too.
Dan_Cornett
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Winsor:
.. from receiver into a Behringer 802 with an XLR. ... As I turn up the L1 for music (master on 802) , and don't immediately turn down the mic volume it ROARS. ...
Just a suggestion ... you might consider changing your volume control approach...

I would suggest:

1) At initial setup, do the gain-staging of the L1 and the mixer's Master with the loudest you want any source to get ... if that's the music, do the gain-staging with that; if it's the mics, do the gain-staging with the mics.

2) Then ... don't touch the master volumes again ... at the very least, don't push the mixer's master past the setting you determined in step one. Use a little piece of tape to mark that position, so you don't forget "in the heat of the moment".

3) Change the relative volume of the music and voice using the individual channel controls, not with the master. If the music is the "loudest sound in the room", don't expect to be able to talk over it without bringing the music volume down.

If you want the "voice over music" to be the loudest, then see if you can do that during the initial setup ... not after you've 'started the show'. Some venues/setups/arrangements may not allow you to get "voice over music" as loud (without feedback) as may be possible in other places -- during setup is the time to find that out.

If, due to under-estimating the dampening effect of a crowd of people, you find that you *do* want to turn up the "last-stage" master (i.e.: the master on the L1), remember to turn down the mic volume controls a bit first ...

... The general principle is: First turn DOWN what you want to hear less of, before turning up what you want to hear more of ...
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I'm easily able to stand right beside my L1 tower and talk effortlessly w/ no feedback in a school gym and easily fill the entire place with my voice.
davewinsor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2006

Dan,

Thanks for that. I really need to pay attention to the gain staging. Here I am thinking it was something else, when all along it was just forgetfulness.

I've never had the issue before. Just forgot.

Thanks again,

Dave
davewinsor
Registered since

Apr 11, 2006

David,

I'll explore that option also. Thanks for the input.

Awesome.

Dave