ronniejames
Registered since

Jan 20, 2011

Crackling and popping noises - L1 Classic - please help!

I just got an L1 Classic with one Bass bin a few days ago. I got it from an older gentleman who plays keyboards and sings. I picked it up at his home and he had it set up and running when I got there. It looked to be in near new condition, almost unused. He played the keyboards and I sang a couple of songs. We used the system for about a half hour and it sounded great. He packed everything up in it's original boxes and I left.

A few days later which was the first chance I had,I set up the system to use and and learn how to adjust everything before I use it for a gig. I plugged a 1/4" mono jack with the stereo signal from my laptop summed into channel 1. I found out after called the Bose Tech support line later that I should have plugged into channel 3 or 4- channel 1 and 2 are for microphone and a guitar etc.

After a bit the music started playing but it didn't sound right. I reduced the volume on the laptop and adjusted the remote and it sounded a bit better. After a while I started hearing loud crackling and popping sounds. I thought it might be my mixer so I changed to another mixer. Same thing. Then I tried channel 3 and then channel 4. The crackling and popping continued.

I tried using a different power cord and even plugging into a different wall plug. Eventually I unplugged all inputs and even unplugged the bass bin. I turned all the trim knobs down and even unplugged the remote. At that point only the radiators were plugged in and the crackling and popping noise was still coming from the radiators.

Is it just bad luck? Is it bad power? I'm surprised and disappointed.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: Crackling and popping noises - L1 Classic - please help!

I can understand disappointment.

Check the connections at the base to speaker and speaker to speaker. Make sure they are mounted firmly and lining up properly.

O..
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Ronnie James,

Thank you for joining the Forum.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like it could be noisy power or a noisy environment. Have you tried setting up in a different location?
ozzysteve
Registered since

Oct 17, 2009

I've never had good sound from the audio-out of a laptop, it's always sounded "dirty". Try plugging your ipod in.
ronniejames
Registered since

Jan 20, 2011

A HUGE Thank You goes out to Mr. "Cap" Capello! I spoke with him and he had me set the presets to 00 and the remote knobs all to the 12 o'clock position, all the trim knobs OFF and then power on and power off. He said this resets an EPROM in the powerbase. After that I used channel 3 and left the 00 presets.The system is operating normally now with zero problems.

Apparently the elderly gentleman who I got the Classic from only used it a couple of times before storing it away and I doubt he ever upgraded the firmware.

By the way my Classic is an older model, no blue surrounding the bass bin output jack.

I have the 2.0 discs and the unused stickers. Anyone want to explain how to update the firmware?
Neil-at-Bose
Registered since

Mar 18, 2004

Hi Ronnie James,
Glad to hear that you are no longer experiencing issues with crackling audio. Detailed instructions on the preset 2.0 upgrade process can be found here. Let us know if you run into any issues.

Neil