tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Re: Creative L1 Compact Uses

I've recently used 2 Compacts with my 3/4 piece band. The bass player and 2nd guitar player (when needed) play through their own amps and the bass player and drummer's vocal go through one Compact and my vocal and guitar through a PODHD500 go into the 2nd one.

Sounded great and filled up the room completely.

In this photo, the bar is about 50 feet from the front of the stage, and there was seating behind that as well. Plus, I only ran 1 extension in both to keep the speakers at ear level for those seating (plus the drummer could hear the vocals).

Comments were that we sounded great, could be heard very well and didn't blow anyone's ears off even though they could feel our rhythm and beat.

musicmark1
Registered since

Dec 1, 2003

Do you have your compacts fully extended? Looks like you're running them with one extension - just curious.
tomtheguitarguy
Collaborator
Registered since

May 18, 2019

quote:
Originally posted by music*mark:
Do you have your compacts fully extended? Looks like you're running them with one extension - just curious.

For this one, I only used one extension.

For last night's show (at a different location), I ran the full extensions as the stage was lower and there were a lot more dancers on the dance floor. I also put the drums in between the two Compacts. The drummer had no problem hearing the vocals and the bass player and I could hear each other from our respective sides of the stage too.
wwwdnavocalduoc
Registered since

Jul 18, 2012

Hi all,
I've been using the L1 mk II for roughly a year now.
I work contracts abroad most of the year and use the L1 mm II day in day out and it's amazing,
I considered buying the compact for smaller venue use, but when I arrived on my current contract they already had one! Luck or what! Must be fate...
The compact is sooo good the I've started using it for larger and larger venues pushin it hard... It still gives a fight to be proud of! Two vocals and a saxophone at night volume using the tonematch for all those juicy effects... 10/10 for both the L1 and Compact!!!

Alec,

Dn'A - Vocal Duo With Saxophone

www.dnavocalduo.com
Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

6inline
Registered since

Aug 10, 2007

I've wanted to post my recent Compact experiences and this discussion seemed to fit best. Feel free to move it if there is a better spot for it.

I sold my Model 1/B1 setup a few months ago as I was not gigging much and i needed the money. I kept one B1 in case I decided I needed to add it to the compact. My thought was to focus on the smaller gigs where a single compact would cover and add a second compact down the road for larger or outdoor gigs.

My first chance to test it out was a fashion show benefit providing background music for dinner and show music for the fashion show itself. I've done this for this group before so I knew they wanted the music loud and pumping for the catwalk. I borrowed a second compact from a friend and went in nervous. Background music was excellent and speeches could be heard easily throughout the very large ballroom.

Catwalk music sounded great and covered fine but i was at the limits of what these amps can do. I hit red on both units frequently but there was no distortion. Success!

Now for my "downsized" solo gig I sing, play guitar and run tracks from an ipad in the typical lounge/restaurant situation. My biggest concern was that I would miss the low bass that the B1's provided, especially on the tracks. I am using a T1:
Ch 1: Vocal mic EV N/D767a
Ch 2: Electric guitar fed from a Tech 21 modeler(phantom powered from T1)
Ch3: Acoustic guitar (piezo on the electric) direct in using T1 as preamp
Ch 4: ipad 1/8" out into 4/5, preset flat w/ Z-eq

This setup is fantastic. I have had to turn the bass down on the tracks in most places and the sound is full and balanced. Sounds better to me at lower volumes than the Model 1 did.

This past weekend i was hired to play an outdoor party and couldn't get the second compact as my friend was out of town. Nervous again.
I set up by the pool with a stone fireplace behind me and under a canopy I brought with me. I was worried that the top section of the compact would not be heard properly because it was all the way up inside the top of the tent so I took out one extension and went "half-mast".

I set the compact up about three feet to my left and two feet behind, about like normal. I was worried about feedback from the mic but it never showed up. The bass was well represented and the sound was clear and balanced all the way up to the back patio of the house, about 100 feet away. And I still had plenty of headroom if I needed it. I didn't.

The best thing was hearing my voice so well that I sang comfortably and without strain even after doing my coaching gig in the am for two hours in a noisy indoor pool, which normally leaves me a little hoarse.

So I guess I'm getting over judging the compact by it's size. I tend to think its not going to be enough, until I hear it. I'm still amazed at what this thing can do giver it's size and weight.

Sorry for the long post. I hope someone can get something from it.

Paul
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

That's a great post! It is really cool when you red light those Compacts! They will deliver when needed and I've found them to be really robust. The half-mast position is also very handy under the right circumstances. And my Yamaha acoustic electric and vocal (e835) sound better than anything I've heard, clear and distinct, like you're listening to the playback in a big studio control room.
Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Hello dnweeks,

Please this new discussion for your post: L1® Classic / Model I Product Support
imjim
Registered since

Jan 21, 2014

Hi there! I've merely skimmed through this forum topic and have seen some awesome methods used! Rock on!

One method that our company has used that has worked quite well (for a mobile DJ setup) is using two Compacts lined out to a powered dual 12 sub (name of the sub not mentioned due to our respect for Bose). This has worked so well for us that we have outfitted all of our DJs with it. The clarity and POWER are simply unparalleled! We enjoy the simple set up and output - in short, Bose is the <<idiomatic expression>>!!! Love you guys!!!

Edit: Forum-Admin changed an << idiomatic / colloquial expression>> that may be questionable for some readers -- please see our Terms of Service link at the bottom of every page.
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

That is a very good combination, indeed! I have had some experience with "the sub that shall not be named" and it's a workhorse with a lot of brute force. The companion speakers of that series, to me, are not as great as they're reputed to be. Funny how everything sounds garbled once you get used to the Bose clarity. The Compact is simply an amazing piece of gear!