northlandjammer
Registered since

Aug 30, 2013

Re: Creative L1 Compact Uses

Aside from using my Compact on duo gigs, I also use it every 4th of July. I put on a fireworks show at the cabin and use the Compact for the music behind the fireworks. It's awesome! I don't even use the extensions...just plop it on the picnic table, plug it in, plug in my iPhone with the pre-mixed mp3 and BOOM! Ohhh Say Can You See....You can even hear Whitney thru the fireworks! SaWEEET!
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

Now that fireworks thingy is a cool idea! I'm going to do that this 4th!

I do location recording for classical musicians, i.e., we go to the Steinway or the pipe organ or to a certain hall or auditorium a vocalist wants to be heard in. I bring along a Compact, no extension, and use it as a playback monitor. It just sits on the floor beside me. The sound of the playback is so true and clear that my clients ALWAYS comment about it. Twenty-three pounds of amazing sound! There is no gathering around a near-field monitor, they can hear it well from 40-60 feet away! I could not do this with a normal PA-type speaker, although I think a JBL might be the best of the bunch. All the others suffer from coloration, directionality and lack of clarity. The sound from the Bose simply fills the air and everyone hears the same sound wherever they are.
guitarvocs
Registered since

May 27, 2014

We found another use for the L1 Compact last weekend. My wife/keyboard player is our choir director and for our church's Christmas concert the choir is up in the front of the church across the sanctuary, spread pretty far out. My wife plays the Clavinova in the center aisle facing us. In years past, I put a Fender Acoustisonic in front of the piano but those off to the sides had trouble hearing clearly. I put the L1 with no extensions on the floor in front of the keyboard, and problem solved. I love this thing!
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi guitarvocs,

Thanks for telling us about this application for the Compact. It's hard to beat the extremely wide dispersion. Is the piano on an elevated stage? I'm wondering about the position of the Compact relative to the listeners' ears.
meredithsdg
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2004

I direct a high school choir. For Christmas, we did a cantata with an adult community chorus. We had around 140 singers. Our stage has steps to the pit which we use as risers. That gives us four rows and I added choral risers to the stage level to give us a total of seven rows. The auditorium seats 525 and has EXCELLENT acoustics.

We were singing with recorded accompaniment. I put my two L1 Compacts in the pit with one extension each. They were placed facing each other, 90 degrees to the audience and choir, each one third of the way in from the edge of the choir. They ran only the tracks, the soloists were mic-ed through the house system.

My theory was this: The L1s offer 180 degree coverage, so audience and choir could both hear. Having them face across each other would cover the areas behind each. As director, I had a very good indication of the balance the audience was hearing. It was very much like have a live pit orchestra in terms of balance and blend. The best part is, a recorded orchestra can play softer than a real one when needed! Smile

It worked great! Used the idea with a children's choir, different room, all kids on stage risers. Placed the compacts with no extensions, also worked well!

Thanks, Bose!
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Meredithsdg,

That's a really interesting application of the theory (good theory).

Did you happen to get any pictures?
meredithsdg
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2004

Thought about taking photos, didn't get a chance. Frown
meredithsdg
Participant
Registered since

Dec 27, 2004

I forgot to mention - I had the output on the compacts set to about 50%. That gave me plenty of headroom that I could boost the output on the tracks if needed when the choir was singing full voice. The 2 together put out more than enough sound for the entire room. As I said, this auditorium has excellent acoustics. There's a sculpted drop ceiling that focuses sound back down on the audience.

Another musician in the community was part of the adult chorus. He had never seen an L1 system before. He went out and bought a Compact after the concert! Smile
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Hello All,

Been watching this forum for a while with keen interest since back in 2012 when I bought my first Compacts. I originally bought them for small DJ events as well as wedding ceremonies etc. But then I put them to the test in my audio video production company where I handle the AV for medical seminars for Englewood Hospital in New Jersey.

They have a gorgeous 350 seat auditorium in the hospital where there are frequent events. After experimenting with placement I have been using the compacts to rave reviews from the audience and the doctors alike. Even the hospital president was astounded at how good they sound I had him mic'd using a shure headset, zero feedback, excellent dispersion and somehow the way I have the compacts positioned they couple with the stage and give me a ridiculous good bass response I actually have to tone it down with the EQ but the sound is unequaled. I run the sound and video from the rear of the auditorium I have the speakers connected wirelessly using Line 6 transmitters and receivers which works excellent. The compact is a great product when used properly even going way beyond expectations.

One of the senior doctors even commented that he thought he was sitting in his living room listening to the presentation and when I play pre-and post event music everyone raves at how good it sounds, as if the band were actually on the stage. Kudos to Bose keep up the good work.
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Here is a picture looking at the rear of the auditorium with my AV set up on the right side.

It's funny when I tell my clients I'm using Bose speakers for their event it increases my credibility with them a thousand percent